The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-19-2016, 12:11 PM

I play on open position A in 3-4 different ways, depending on what else is happening in the song. Even more often, I'll play A as a partial shape of the E shape barre at the 5th position with the A and high E strings open, my ring finger on the 7th fret D string. middle on the 6th fret G string and index on the 5th fret B string. I've always kinda hated the way the root, fifth, octave sounds on the bottom of a chord on an acoustic guitar. Unless I'm looking for a "power chord" sound, I'll usually try out other options for voicing the chord.

Mike
Old 07-19-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarFundi View Post
"A Chord" Shape? Which?

1) I have seen with index D , middle G, ring B strings and don't play high E

2) I have seen with index D , middle G, ring B strings and play high E

3) I have seen index only & it hits all D, G, B strings and mutes the high E

4) I have seen middle D, index G, ring B and play high E

Which do you use or WHY do you use which one? Thanks
As others have said, depends. Most of the time I'll just barre it with the index finger. Sometimes when I want to add the suspended notes, or move from A to Amaj7 to A7, or something similar, I'll play it 3-fingered.

Same thing when I transpose the A shape up the neck. Though, sometimes if just playing rhythm, I'll barre strings 1-5 with the index, and use my pinkie to bar 2, 3, and 4 two frets up, and use the middle finger against the index and ring against the pinkie, so it looks like the Spock "Live Long And Prosper" sign. But I was a Beatles head, so when I was in high school learning guitar, I saw George Harrison's video "I Got My Mind Set On You" and he fretted his A-shape chords this way, so I followed suit!
Old 07-20-2016, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
Right from when I started to play, in the early 60s, I found I could hold down two strings with one finger. So I do a two finger A chord. Two adjacent fingers, usually the second and third, not first or fourth, get all three strings. I also do a two finger E chord. I never got arrested for it.
I have been playing "A" first position, this way for 50 years. It makes the
change to A7, AMaj7 and to Am7 so much easier. I use the 2nd and 3rd finger.

Ron
Old 07-20-2016, 07:39 AM

Probably all of 'em at one time or another ... depends on where I was, where I'm going to, and what I want to do while I'm on that A chord. There are quite a few other A's on the fretboard, too. I use 'em all ...
Old 07-20-2016, 01:41 PM

To play an open A chord I put middle on D, index on G and ring on B. I chose this when I was first starting because it put two fingers against the second fret and the inex closer to the second fret as I could. That's the only reason I used to select this fingering. But as time goes on we find all sorts of situations where we need to change the fingering.

A good example of using a different (than standard) fingering for an E chord is to use index on 3rd string, ring on the 5tg string and pinky on the 4th string. The first time I tried this it was a bit awkward. After that though it's super easy and also lends itself to easier (a little bit) changes in chords. Finger the E this way then go to a chord in the barred E shape for example. Your ring and pinky are already on the correct strings. This helps me a lot when jumping several frets. E to A (5th fret) for example.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:42 PM

Sometimes the way we play a chord is to prepare for the next change. Just like positioning your chess pieces to be ready for what is coming next.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

I now play it in various positions, but when I started I did the index on the G string, middle on the D an ring on the B because my fingers were too big to play i m p.

I have learned that by using the index on the G string, it serves as an anchor reference point for both the D and the E chords. Plus, it is really easy to go to the A maj7.

Some people play the D chord with the middle finger on the G, ring on the B, and index on the E. This allows easy transition from a D to D minor, or it allows you to hold the D chord while walking up a bass line A A# B on the fifth string.

CK
Old 07-22-2016, 05:29 PM

[QUOTE=Pualee;5005956]I usually play it with index on G, middle on D, and ring on B. This lets me hammer on my pinky for a sus4 or pull off my ring for a sus2. I can also move to a D major or E major very easily like this (index never comes up, just slides), making for fast transitions in most keys where I need an A major.

Sometimes I play it the traditional way, but very rarely...

Sometimes i play it by barring the D G B with my index and pinky on the E at fret 5.

Really, you just need to learn on the possible combinations and which ones help you move from one chord to another, and which ones leave your hand in the right place to move into a bass run or melodic lead. No point having limitations [/QUOTE

I do it this way
Old 07-22-2016, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

I agree that all the different ways of playing that "A chord"-shape are useful... really depends upon the song and where I am going next that helps determine which one I use.

For more "Rock and Roll" or Blues tunes, using the edge of my forefinger seems to work best, as it gives me latitude to play the classic Rock/Blues riff; also lets me add other licks to a basic A chord.

Although I have smallish hands and thin fingers, over the 55+ years of playing guitar I now have "flattened" fingertips - actually, they've been like that for 30 years or so! - and I play a whole bunch of chords using only one finger to fret two strings... comes in mighty handy at times, although it makes following my chord changes a bit more difficult for the novice player.

I am VERY partial to maj 9 chords; 13th chords, too... and I love the sound of an A major 9, played with just the D and G string, second fret... technically this would be a sus 2 chord, I believe, because there is no 3rd played... I love it just the same!

So, my advice would be: get a couple shapes absolutely down-pat, realizing that, along the way you will want to be able to play any of them at any time...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 07-22-2016, 08:50 PM

I do a two finger A. Either index and middle or middle and ring depending on what direction I'm coming from.

Also play a one finger Em.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 07-23-2016, 02:56 AM
Charter Member

Whichever way that you play any chord - as long as each required note rings clearly, the shape is less important than the ultimate sound.

In fact the best method is the easiest change from the previous chord and to the next.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:55 AM
Charter Member

I typically us your -- 4) I have seen middle D, index G, ring B and play high E -- because fingers just fit in a lot better and easier.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:31 AM
Charter Member

I play it middle, index, ring, or partial barre with index because I want to hammer the g note (3rd fret) on the e string for an A7 or I'll play the A note on the 5th fret, e string with my pinky. Quite often though I will use the "E Shape" (The F chord at the first fret) and slide up to the 5th fret, mute the E string and play part or all of the chord there also.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:34 AM

If I'm playing that A chord I will finger it using #4 or #3 98% of the time. Two percent of the time I might do it a different way to reach a particular melody note.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write