The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-29-2010, 12:11 PM

Default Glue for neck separating?

I have an old yamaha fg-75 that's been in my attic for years, and I want to try and resuscitate it. The neck is starting to separate from the body with small cracks...Can you guys offer a little advice on how to fill in those cracks - will plain old wood glue work?

Taylor 310 CE
72' Fender Telecaster
Old 04-29-2010, 03:23 PM

** Disclaimer - I'm not a professional repair person by any means **

I have taken off the necks on a few Yamahas, and I normally just use standard wood glue (Titebond original in my case) to glue it back. I've also used CA glue to fill and glue small separation gap in the heel on some of these Yamaha as well. I think it also depends on where the separation is, and if you are able to get the glue in, and clamp it back up.

Do you have any pictures of the area in question that you're trying to repair?
Old 04-30-2010, 06:00 AM

ordinary wood glue.

NOT gorilla or epoxy
I LOVE that guy!!!!!!
Old 04-30-2010, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moconno1 View Post
I have an old yamaha fg-75 that's been in my attic for years, and I want to try and resuscitate it. The neck is starting to separate from the body with small cracks...Can you guys offer a little advice on how to fill in those cracks - will plain old wood glue work?
Based upon the sound of the age and treatment over the last few years, and if the neck is seperating already, you might consider resetting the neck. Other than that, what they said, plain old wood glue. You should be able to use a needle or something like that to wick the glue into the cracks.

Authorized Dealer of:
Breedlove - Jackson - Fender - Martin - Schecter Guitar Research - Crossrock Cases
Old 06-14-2010, 01:17 PM

Take a look at the videos from Taylorguitars where Bob Taylor shows a sad, sick, guitar that's dried out. After a few days with a couple of Damp-its in the case, it started to look healthier. A few more days and it plumped right back to shape. In that case the cracks were in the top and back and they closed up just from the proper moisture level being restored.

The lesson I'd take away from that is that you should make sure the guitar is restored to a good humidity level before you glue anything - simply because the instrument changes shape as it dries out and you can assume that it wass baked for awhile in the hot attic.

Then I would use hide glue, but simply because i'm set up for it (cheapo water boiling pitcher and some very small mason jars with a plastic spacer to suspend the glue in the double boiler) and because it's reversible. However the guitar was probably made with regular PVA woodworking glue like Titebond, so there's nothing wrong with using that so long as you've got the neck at the right set and alignment.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair