The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-02-2005, 08:51 AM

12yrs old...on my dad's old Harmony archtop with action so high it'd make your feet sweat. Dad felt sory for me the next Christmas and bougt me a "pawn shop special" Strat copy by WHOTHEECK in Whereever.Been at it ever since.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:54 AM

18, only three short years ago. Started with a Tak, moved quickly (a few weeks) to a Martin small body. I played classical piano for about 10 years prior--man this is so much more fun.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:15 AM

Think i was 6 or 7.. Jumping up and down at my fathers bed playing a silly child song at one string with his Gibson SG1
Old 02-05-2005, 07:34 AM

Hi folks, I am new here to the forum and this looked like as good an introduction spot as any.
Started at 11 (that was around 35 years ago) 1 year of actual lessons that i cant even remember except for the once a week bottle of cream soda

I dont want to steal chris's(cpmusics) line but perhaps if i could borrow it.
Perpetual Intermediate has a nice ring to it and Chris,it kinda fits
Ive had my share of ups and downs on this roler coast ride we call life including losing all equipment to thieves.
Financial strife which caused sale of equipment
Injury which kept me from playing for awhile(that ones really tough because your guitar is just sitting there staring at you saying,Well!!!! )
Ive done some of my own writing in what i would class a folk/rock fingerstyle genre along with some ballad type stuff etc.
The more i know the more i realize its all about fundamentals.
So in order to take 2 steps forward i have decided to take 3 steps backwards.It is time to devour theory,relearn notation and become familiar to the point of intimacy with the fretboard.
Current equipment:
Ibanez AE-18-FT
Fender Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider 30 (a very nice piece of equipment for home work and intimate to small venue's ,i highly reccomend taking a peek at one )
Crate 2-12 40W that takes up space but has 2 speakers in a cab which is why i keep it
A few effects
Fostex x 18 -4 track recorder
Yamaha Keyboard/synth (for fills and thrills)

Wants-This would require far too much bandwidth LOL

It looks like you folks have a nice forum here,I hope you dont mind another Brain to feed
Old 02-07-2005, 08:29 PM

I only started about 6 months ago, so I've still very average. But I'm working on it and enjoy it so much. I play as often as I can (usually about half an hour each day).

Admira Artista
Fender DG4-CE Sunburst
Greg Bennett Uku70 uke
Some cheapo axe for travelling..
Old 02-07-2005, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiba
I was 15, now I'm 35. I rock

--chiba
Ha ha. I believe him!

Hey, did I answer this poll already? It says, "how do you rate yourself today?" doesn't it? Well, I have been playing since I was 13 (almost 28 years now) and some days I rock, but I played for about an hour earlier, and I have to say that today; I stink at it!
Old 02-07-2005, 09:44 PM

Wow, I think I am getting into this thread WAY late. Or maybe I answered it before and just can't remember. That happens a LOT lately.
Started at about 14 (I think, long time ago). Took six lessons and the guy told me I would never be able to play. So I believed him and quit taking lessons. Played steady one way or another through 1973 than took a little break.
Bought a Taylor in 2003 and started up again. And the rest is anything but history.
Rate your playing? In 1973 I rocked, seriously.
Today, being a hill-billy I would say fair to middlin'.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:53 PM

I started when I was 18. I'm now 41. I can't do scales to save my life. I'm not a lead player. I finger pick very well, do rythmic strumming and I know many different chords voicings. I'm stilll getting better. I consider my voice my main instrument.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyguitarguy
And how do you rate your self now?

Thanks
1. about 8

2. struggling intermediate... but hey, I'm not stopping until I do get better!
Old 02-09-2005, 11:32 PM

I guess I'm the "old man" for beginners here... started last summer at age 53. I have an extensive music background but never played guitar. Fortunately, my first guitar was a Taylor 414ce so that made learning and playing more fun. I'm self taught, making progress and getting to the point that I know what I want to play. Hope this might inspire someone else to get started... it's not too late!
Old 02-11-2005, 03:26 PM

I was 19, about 4 years ago. I still don't know as much as I want, and I never will. I want to start playing jazz, but I have to learn. I haven't gotten to play as much as I did when I first started.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:44 PM

I started at my school in 4th grade in a guitar ensemble with my best friends. I guess that would make me 10.

About 3 years later I began taking lesson, but didn't take them seriously until I changed teachers in 8th grade. He inspired me.

Then I moved to NH to go to boarding school in 10th grade and my guitar teacher here has re-inspired me. I play 2-5 hours a day with friends, alone, in a band, I teach a faculty kid once a week, i'm teaching another friend.... it's my life here.

I would say I'm a solid Intermediate- but definitely have A LONG way to go before I consider myself advanced.

I'm heavy into the improv side of guitar (I have pretty much always played jazz) and plan on playing jam band type music my entire life.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:14 PM

I started taking lessons when I was about 9 years old and stopped about 6 months ago. I'm 15 now. Guitar is one of the best things I've discovered, and I can't even think about life without it.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:37 PM

Angry

I'm 31. I've got pictures of me playing a tennis raquet left handed when I was 8. But I started to play guitar when I was 12. A Hondo Les Paul copy it was. And I play right handed now, wierd.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell