The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-17-2019, 05:47 PM

Default Tonedexter question

I understand that to create your own image with the Tonedexter, you need to train it by playing it with a mic. Do you need an expensive condenser mic to get a good sound? I only have a dynamic mic similar to a SM58 currently. Should I just borrow an expensive condenser mic for my initial training and image creation since I won’t need it anymore after that?
Old 03-17-2019, 06:13 PM

I used an sm57 and got good results. I would say if you can get a nice condenser mic it would help with you. Some people think it is crucial. It take time and patience but certainly a good mic will help.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

This has been discussed here quite a bit, with difference experiences reported, so check the existing ToneDexter threads. My experience is that an SM57/58 will work just fine, and will produce a noticeable improvement over the raw pickup. You will get slightly different results with different mic placements. You will also get different results with different mics, as you'd expect. Which sound "better" depends on your taste. But I think you'll find that almost any mic produces an improvement and you don't need to spend a lot of money on a mic. The ToneDexter site lists some reasonably-priced mics they recommend, but I'd start with what you have.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:33 PM

I've been using an Audix i5 with the Tonedexter with good results. That mic is similar to the Shure sm57. I also have an sm58 which I normally use for live vocals but I've of course tried it with tonedexter. You can get decent enough results with that.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:35 PM

Borrowing or renting mics is also an option. You could also book an hour at a local studio and raid their mic locker when you're there. Lots of options out there. I got great results with an SM81.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 03-18-2019, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Do you need an expensive condenser mic to get a good sound?
Not to get a good sound, however very possibly to get a great sound. So far my favorite is SM-81, which is not expensive as condensors go.

Also depends on what you like to hear - an SM57/8 might capture exactly what you like to hear, or it may leave behind the good stuff.

Quote:
Should I just borrow an expensive condenser mic for my initial training and image creation since I won’t need it anymore after that?
That would work, but... 1. the company improves the training code regularly, 2. you can easily discover a better sound by experimenting over time.

If you do borrow a condensor, I'll recommend an SDC. Most of my SDCs work well, a couple LDCs work well, and none of my dynamics work (for me).

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 03-18-2019, 10:21 AM

I am thinking why spend a ton of money on a mic jsut to use once for setting up the Tonedexter? In theory, I could buy an expensive mic from GC or somewhere....use it once for my model/training session and then return it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
This has been discussed here quite a bit, with difference experiences reported, so check the existing ToneDexter threads. My experience is that an SM57/58 will work just fine, and will produce a noticeable improvement over the raw pickup. You will get slightly different results with different mic placements. You will also get different results with different mics, as you'd expect. Which sound "better" depends on your taste. But I think you'll find that almost any mic produces an improvement and you don't need to spend a lot of money on a mic. The ToneDexter site lists some reasonably-priced mics they recommend, but I'd start with what you have.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:24 AM

OK thanks..................................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post

If you do borrow a condensor, I'll recommend an SDC. Most of my SDCs work well, a couple LDCs work well, and none of my dynamics work (for me).
Old 03-18-2019, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I am thinking why spend a ton of money on a mic jsut to use once for setting up the Tonedexter? In theory, I could buy an expensive mic from GC or somewhere....use it once for my model/training session and then return it.
The only reason I can think of is that it’s morally not right to do that.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You'll likely train ToneDexter, then use it on gig and think it sounds great, but then on the next gig think, "hmm, maybe it would sound better if I'd have moved that mic by an inch", and you'll be back to borrowing a mic again and again. I'd use what you have to learn with at least, and then I know budgets are budgets, but for a guitarist to own at least one decent condenser mic seems like a very reasonable expectation. It's hard to imagine you'd never have another use for a mic. They're kind of part of the game. Just get something that doesn't break the bank, but that you can also keep for a lifetime. The SM81 that some people are recommending for ToneDexter is a classic mic that you can hang onto forever and use for live or recording.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:58 PM

If you ask around among the people you know (or can find) who perform or record, you are going to find somebody with condenser mikes, maybe a local studio, maybe somebody who plays out a lot, maybe a church with a worship band or whatever. I found that the Tonedexter sparks a lot of curiosity and with it a willingness to lend a mike and watch the process. I eventually bought the model of mike I borrowed that worked the best (out of about 3 I came up with this way). But they are out there and the guitar community is generally pretty open and generous.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification