The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-15-2019, 01:12 PM

I have met a three musicians (actually 2 musicians and one actor who was also a musician) who I did not know, but who were very friendly. Two of them I discovered later the same day that they were quite well known and I later came to admire their music a lot, but while I was talking to them, we were just two people with something in common, having a nice conversation.
The actor had approached me when he saw my Mandolin T Shirt to ask me about venues in Toronto. We had a pleasant conversation and I said, "I must've seen you play. Your face is familiar."
He said, "No, I don't think you have, but you might have seen me in (name of a hit movie)" I had.

I have also had an unpleasant experience (maybe "tedious" would be a better word) with one of my early guitar heroes, one you likely know of. I left the crowded patio of a popular watering hole in a nearby town and when I returned, I found that my wife had told this fellow that he could join us since there were no empty tables available. I recognized him right away and was thrilled to be able to talk to him, but he completely monopolized the conversation and I recognized that much of the conversation was just a repeat of his stage patter. I didn't let him know, but I was relieved when we finished our meal and it was time to leave.
-1950 Gibson LG1
-1958 Goya M-26
-Various banjos, mandolins, dulcimers, ukuleles, Autoharps, mouth harps. . .
Old 03-15-2019, 01:39 PM

Default Meeting your musical idols (for good or bad)

One of my greatest moments was attending the London Guitar show a good few years back . Visiting the Ovation stand looking at a rather lovely Adamas reverse Blueburst a very well dressed gentleman next to me asked me if I had a plectrum he could borrow . I turned to see the great guitarist that wrote the book " Play in a Day " I said of course and just think that this is all because of you I shook his hand and said Thank You for the book and please keep the pick a true gent
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 03-15-2019, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

So, huge Beach Boys/Brian Wilson Fan, as is my daughter now....took my daughter to a show last year. After the show, lost her....was freak'n out as she was only 16. Panic dissipated as I spotted her, front stage as she was shaking Al Jardine's hand!! I could see they had a brief conversation and was truly appreciative that Al and the other band members stayed around after the show to sign/meet friends!! My only regret was not meeting Blondie (and obviously BW) who was a guest at the show. He was around but left before I could get to the stage. These folks do this night after night. Sing the same songs, night after night and I can see that it might get a bit boring and it does say something when they stay for some meet n' greet. My daughter will never forget meeting Al and I must say, twas really cool seeing my daughter meet him!! She would not stop talking about the encounter!! I guess I won't either.
That is all.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMocha View Post
I used it because that’s how my father saw him. It WAS worship. And it lead me to believe they were all to be seen this way. I was never taught what working musician were and what they did and how hard they worked at their craft.
I look at people as people and admire their talents but try hard not to put one person above another because of their looks, talent, etc, etc. I find most like to be taken that way. If someone wants to be treated as better than others because of some perceived stature, I find others to associate with.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

I've met a couple of "name" musicians, both very pleasant experiences, but I'm not much for seeking out autographs or photos, these were coincidental type meetings.

As a teenager I caddied in the local PGA tour event several times. Got to spend a lot of up close and personal time with some names you might know, and a lot more you wouldn't. 99 per cent of them were great, and the one per cent who weren't, well their reputation preceded them. But I agree about making allowances for someone having a bad day, I've seen that, too (and been there myself!).

I don't care how famous or how rich someone may be, it still can't be easy to live constantly in the spotlight, and never let day to day circumstances affect how one treats the "adoring" public.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

We all have "on" days and "off" days. Well known people are no different. I've met many, many famous musicians over the years and I can say without hesitation that the truly great ones are almost always the nicest people you'd ever want to meet, assuming you approach them in a respectful manner. It's the almost-famous ones who tend to be the biggest jerks. However......

Many, many years ago I met and spoke with the legendary Pete Seeger twice. Once at the 1965 Newport Folk Festival where we approached him as he was walking across the field after giving a workshop. My friend and I (he had his guitar) meekly asked him if he'd tell us the chords to "Waist Deep in the Big Muddy." Well, boys, he said, you have a guitar. Sit down and let me show you!

He proceeded to play through a verse of the song, calling out the chords followed by, "Did you get that?" We sat there with mouthes hanging open and mumbled yeah, yeah. He was warm, encouraging and genuine.

But a couple years later when he on the sailing ship Clearwater they stopped in my home town of Mystic, CT. My dad was the news director of the local radio station and he arranged an interview with Pete. I went along of course. We went over to the Mystic Seaport just across the river from our home. Pete came up on deck and basically refused to answer any questions and then began outright insulting my dad for not reading some obscure books. It was embarrassing and hurtful. My dad, being the professional he was, took it all and remained respectful and friendly. I was horrified to say the least.

So the point is - none of us can know what is going on in the mind of a famous person at any moment in time.

I have lots of other stories, some funny, some sad, some heartwarming, some downright amazing. But: people are people, no matter who they are.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:14 PM

In the early 80's I got to see Eric Clapton at an outdoor arena in the Chicago area. It was the tour he did with Mark Knopler playing guitar with him. Great show! The next day i was in the Hyatt Regency(one of my accts) and I walked into the elevator bay, saw a lone guy waiting for an elevator. I walked up to him and asked, Eric? We got on the elevator, and chatted about the show the night before. Though i was going to the 6th fl, I rode to the penthouse with him, and the 2 of us hung in the elevator bay another 10 min or more talking music, guitars. We just clicked, it was effortless, easy conversation till we said goodbye. No autograph, pick or pic(no cell phones then) it really never crossed my mind. I didn't feel the starstruck part till the ride back down. Still a very warm memory for me.
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36
Old 03-15-2019, 03:17 PM

The first "big name" performance i ever attended was the Brothers 4. Afterward, I just couldn't bear to leave, i'd had so much fun. Then they came out and had great conversations with the 3 or 4 of us who were left. Very nice and open fellows. Naive, I figured all pro musicians were all like that, so after the next concert, I hung around on purpose. And the band breezed by us and didn't even wave. The next and final one was the Kingston Trio (folk music not being big at our college) and things were set up so no one could see them enter or leave. BIG security.

I've learned since with others that, like others have been saying, they are pretty much just like everyone else - some you like and some you don't. And it has very little to do with their music or their popularity. I suspect lesser-known musicians are a little more approachable and have had less ego-stroking.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
I met Andy McKee at a show a few years ago. He was very gracious and enthusiastic.
When I lived in Topeka,KS Andy was still giving lessons at the local Fender place. Nice guy and an immense talent but his style just has never been my cup of tea.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:44 PM

Default Meeting bluegrass heros

This January I won a drawing from ArtistWorks.com for a year of free guitar and dobro lessons from Bryan Sutton and Andy Hall, and a trip to Napa, California, to meet them in person at the ArtistWorks recording studio.

Andy Hall was recording lessons in the morning, and during his breaks I asked him technique and music theory questions, and during a longer break we played a few tunes together.

Bryan Sutton arrived after lunch and he gave me an in-person lesson on learning to arrange variations of fiddle tunes. Then he and Andy Hall played together for a live Facebook broadcast. I got to stand just off camera and watch and listen. I asked Bryan to play my guitar so I could hear how it sounds when played well, and he offered to let me play his. It was his 1936 D-28.

Bryan and Andy were down to earth and friendly. They were both happy to answer my questions about their playing, touring, and instruments. Maybe bluegrassers are more friendly with their fans, or maybe these two are just nicer than average.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:45 PM

I recently got to shake hands with Tommy Emmanuel before a show. He was very nice as I’d come to expect. I tried not to hold up the line but got to ask a couple of questions.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:04 PM

Took my daughter to a Weird Al concert and we met he and Jim West. Both of them are very sweet and generous with their time and conversation. Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz is on a drum forum and freely shares his experience with others.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMocha View Post
... I didn’t ask for an autograph or a selfie. ...

I'll use his name because it was so incredibly positive.

Took our daughter to see John Mulaney, the comedian. She is ga-ga over him and he is her favorite performer (albeit not music).

After the show we walked behind the theater to our parking spot and saw a small crowd of people waiting by his tour bus.

We walked over hoping to get a glimpse of him.

He walked by, got on the bus, changed his clothes and came back out.

He took the time to, one-by-one meet every single person there and thank them for coming to his show. When it got to our daughter he saw she had her iphone in her hand and he asked her "can I get a selfie with you?" She said "sure!" and handed him her phone. He proceeded to take about 20 selfies with her, smiling, goofy, etc.

By him asking her he eliminated all awkwardness and made it an amazing exchange. Truly a class act and simply the nicest celebrity I have ever encountered. Ever.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-15-2019, 05:55 PM

I have met dozens of famous musicians, including quite a few legends. The vast majority have been friendly, warm and gracious, a few have been polite but distant, a couple have been kind of odd, and only one has been rude (twice!).
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 03-15-2019, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

I made coffee for Dave Matthews when he still lived in Charlottesville and I worked at Barnes & Noble. Nice guy. I also spent about 15 minutes during intermission (at a Tom Paxton concert) talking to Tom Paxton's wife, Midge. Nice lady...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic