The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-15-2019, 12:21 AM
Charter Member

Default Need suggestions for a mixer

Recently our group has added a second vocalist. Up to this point there has been one of us who sings through amp which has been more than adequate. So we are looking at getting a mixer that will support both vocalists (both have their own condenser mics), with the phantom power on both XLR inputs. We’d prefer to keep the cost down and have no need for a big multichannel mixer as the other members of the group do not play through it. We’ve been looking at 4 channel mixers that Mackie, Alexis, and Yamaha make and would really appreciate the insights of those who regularly use a mixer for vocals.
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 03-15-2019, 03:11 AM
Charter Member

Four channel mixer with phantom power? Do NOT buy a Mackie. I have one and it’s phantom power imparts more noise into the mix than a subway station during rush hour. And this is borne out by a perusal of the customer reviews of this unit on various sites. For slightly less money (around $100) you can buy a Behringer, which I highly recommend.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:25 AM

Wink

I use a Yamaha MG10XU every day. I have no issues with it. You can even purchase an optional mic stand adapter for it to have it on a stand for easy access. The separate power supply has a threaded collar rather than a small barrel plug and is whisper quiet in my experience. Also, it doubles as a computer interface for recording. The effects are pretty good as well. There are two models -- the normal one and a larger size. I know you mention 4 channels, but if you need two XLR channels, my guess is that down the road you'll need one or two more which requires an 8 or 10 channel mixer.

I also own and use a Yamaha MG06X which is pretty good. The power supply for it has a short cord and uses a barrel plug. The XLR outputs are a nice feature for a mixer of this size. The effects are ok as well, but there aren't as many as with the MG10XU.

I'm sure you'll get many recommendations for expensive digital tablet mixers which are cool, but the learning curve is high on those and the dials can be finicky.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:57 AM

Check out Soundcraft Notepad 12FX (4 XLR) or if you want to go lean, Notepad 8FX (2 XLR). FX and phantom power included.

If there is a downside it is phantom power is always on on these models. Mostly not an issue but some devices either don't work (like my GCS-2) or are damaged by phantom power so make sure.

I have an older version notepad, a 124FX, that was in daily use for years. Still works though semi-retired.

hunter
Old 03-15-2019, 06:04 AM

I have/use both the Yamaha MG10XU and Alesis R12 rack mount mixer.
Both are very good. But, for what you're looking for, I think you would enjoy
the Yamaha MG10XU.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:41 AM

I also had phantom power noise with the mackie mix 12. Then tried the small yamaha, which I didn't like at all sound wise (I had a bigger yamaha years back that was better.) Got a behringer xenyx fx and was happy, was eueing the soundcraft notepad 8 but it hadn't been released yet. I'd say the main thing to look for is a mid eq which is missing on a lot of the smaller mixers.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:41 AM

I also use and like the Yamaha MG10XU. MF is running 15% off (also GC has a similar offer) for Saint Patrick's Day and they usually honor that discount over the phone on Yamaha (at least they did for mine some time ago).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 03-15-2019, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarwebguy View Post
Recently our group has added a second vocalist. Up to this point there has been one of us who sings through amp which has been more than adequate. So we are looking at getting a mixer that will support both vocalists (both have their own condenser mics), with the phantom power on both XLR inputs. We’d prefer to keep the cost down and have no need for a big multichannel mixer as the other members of the group do not play through it. We’ve been looking at 4 channel mixers that Mackie, Alexis, and Yamaha make and would really appreciate the insights of those who regularly use a mixer for vocals.
Hi gwg

Here's a rule of thumb with mixers…the less money you spend, the less quality and adjustment you will get, and the more self-noise they will add.

Mixers for PA use come in different classes:
Cheap/Inexpensive ($75-150) - you can plug in mics and make sound
Adequate - ($150-300) - More quality and a few less features/options
Semi-pro - $300-600 - (can take the abuse of regular use and the road) and are more full featured…and they sound good. Usually the sacrifices are in durability not quality of the sound.
Professional - Over $1000 - come with maximum adjustments, durability and quality

An interesting new category are digital mixers which often come as an input box which is wifi capable (broadcasts it's own wifi…but most users end up carrying a router with them) which have maximum features which you can access via a tablet or smart phone.

Behringer makes their XR12 (4XLR & four ¼"inputs) and XR16 (8 inputs of each) for $300 and $400, and I've heard/seen local bands use these with great success. Better quality for the buck since you are not paying for the mixer 'deck' along with the input/preamp section.

Other brands have these too, but the Behringer are all based on their pro end Midas pro mixers and their X32 Behringer digital mixer and most of the bugs are worked out because they have a 5 year jump on the market with these.

If I were building a traveling system these days, I'd go with a powered speaker and Behringer digital mixer.

Have fun figuring all this out!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-15-2019, 08:24 AM

Sad to hear about the issues with Mackie mixers. I have two, one with three pre-amped inputs and one with six, both Mackie VLZ3 models. These are older (one generation back) one made in the US and the other after the move to China for manufacturing, both bought used for the sake of economy. Both are built like proverbial brick houses and both work great, though I did find a couple of reductions in build quality on the Chinese model. I never had a problem with noise of any kind and they have been great mixers for me.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 03-15-2019, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for all the input, I was aware that $ is tied to quality .... I’ll start exploring the Behringer and Yamaha options! Much appreciated
Old 03-15-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post

Behringer makes their XR12 (4XLR & four ¼"inputs) and XR16 (8 inputs of each) for $300 and $400, and I've heard/seen local bands use these with great success. Better quality for the buck since you are not paying for the mixer 'deck' along with the input/preamp section.

If I were building a traveling system these days, I'd go with a powered speaker and Behringer digital mixer.

This ^^^ I replaced a Yamaha MG10XU mixer with the Behringer XR-18. (wanted the extra channels and the ability to use as DAW input.)

Quality is excellent. There is a learning curve but having a mixer the size of a loaf of bread with incredible flexibility controlled wirelessly with my tablet or my spouse out in the crowd is convenient.

Being able to save settings and load them up as a file rather than redo everything is a huge advantage of going digital. Behringer is making some really fine products these days. The XR-18 is the best live sound purchase I've made. Look into these, their price just dropped and with discounts, they truly are a bargain.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:52 AM

Give serious thought to analog vs. digital.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

My needs are similar and I chose a Soundcraft EFX-8. It's slightly larger format with more channels, but the excellent sound/preamps, great effects, mid-sweeps, and built in phantom power were worth the size trade off. If they made a mixer with the same features with fewer inputs (like 1/2 size) I likely would have bought it, but it seems that as you go down in size you also lose features. That said, it's still a pretty small/light mixer, and the price is within the realm of reality.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:03 PM

Default Need suggestions for a mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post

An interesting new category are digital mixers which often come as an input box which is wifi capable (broadcasts it's own wifi…but most users end up carrying a router with them) which have maximum features which you can access via a tablet or smart phone.

Other brands have these too, but the Behringer are all based on their pro end Midas pro mixers and their X32 Behringer digital mixer and most of the bugs are worked out because they have a 5 year jump on the market with these.

Have fun figuring all this out!

I like everything about the Behringer XR series except for their crappy built in routers! 2.4GHz only, and worse than that it won’t automatically change channels if you run into interference! That leads to the scenario where it doesn’t work because there is interference on a channel, but you can’t log onto it to change the channel either so you are just screwed! Then, you kind of need a WiFi scanning app to see the available channels, but these only run on android phones because Apple locks developers out of channel scanning access.

When I started using my XR mixer with an Apple Airport Express router though it was outstanding!
Old 03-15-2019, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

I’ve never seen or used a digital mixer and would appreciate it if folks could say more about what a digital mixer is and why you would choose one - how do they compare cost wise? TIA

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification