The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-14-2019, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

I’ve bought alot of cables from Monoprice - when they have one of their sales, you can get them pretty cheap, and they seem to be pretty decent. I am tempted to try a couple high-end cables, just to see what the difference might be -
Old 03-14-2019, 04:17 PM

Thanks for all the input. As for just tossing away the bad and buying new. I take the bad offline and replace them with new. I keep new in stock and save the bad in a junk box.

I'm a Tool Design Engineer and a Journeyman Tool and Die Maker by trade. I like working with my hands and learning new skills, I now have enough bad cable to begin to learn those new skills. I like the mindset of "Decent cable is never wasted, just recycled into shorter and shorter patch leads" I may have to borrow this quote sometime.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 03-14-2019, 05:12 PM

"Decent cable is never wasted, just recycled into shorter and shorter patch leads" (Beat, S., 2019, AGF)

You're welcome. Don't forget your refs.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
I am tempted to try a couple high-end cables, just to see what the difference might be -
Before you start buying high-cost cables, you might want to watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyWt...ature=youtu.be

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 03-16-2019, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Thanks! That was a great video - the whole argument and back and forth was quite entertaining actually. But I did take away that there is a difference in the cable, in the shielding and the jacket, and I already knew that there is alot of difference in the quality of the connectors and strain-relief. So I don’t really want to buy into the snake-oil hype, but still want to try a couple of cables that cost more than the ones I have - all of which were well under $10. They work, but someday I’ll treat myself, and at least get one in a different color -
Old 03-17-2019, 08:53 AM

I’m fond of Spectraflex - they’re well made and have the lengths and ends I like, and in the rare case they need repair, I can do it.

For the most part, it’s worth it to repair all but the cheapest cables.....it will pay you back by providing useful gear when needed.

A low-end Weller soldering station, a third hand tool(or two), and patience is really all it takes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification