The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-02-2019, 02:55 PM

Default Setting up studio monitors

Hey All,

I am looking to get my first studio monitors and wanted to be sure I understand the typical proper setups.

I am using ProTools on a Mac and I am using an Audient iD4. I also am enjoying recording on my new Zoom H5.

Am I correct in assuming that the monitors should be connected to the iD4 and I should use that as the 'sound output' for my computer as opposed to trying to connect the monitors directly to the computer? I assume this is true as the computer itself is not setup to properly drive studio monitors?

Second reason i am asking is because I have found ProTools and my Mac to be pretty flaky with respect to the playback engine settings and that i often have to go in, during or between sessions, to ensure that everything works EVERY time I use the setup.

I am not too far down the pro tools route so am open to making changes there if i am doing everything else correctly.

As always, thanks for your help!
Old 03-02-2019, 03:53 PM

connect the monitors with TRS 1/4" cables to the audient, note the speaker icon. connect the usb to your computer.

i usually start with a fairly low buffer 128 for recording and raise it if necessary , possibly to 512, for the playback with logic or reason.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 03-02-2019, 04:11 PM

awesome. Thank you!
Old 03-04-2019, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Yes as per muscmp 1/4 mono connection from Audient to speakers

and In PT select the Audient as input and output device

Curious as to what "flaky" means. because ( of course depending on which MAC and OS version and what version Of PT) and depending on exactly what you are recording and playing back it should be pretty stable as far as playback engine settings ?

What is happening that is an issue ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 03-04-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

While you need a TRS connector on the Audient end, make sure you check whatever monitors you decide to buy to see what connector they need. Not all monitors have a TRS connector so you may need a TRS/XLR cable.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 03-04-2019, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
While you need a TRS connector on the Audient end, make sure you check whatever monitors you decide to buy to see what connector they need. Not all monitors have a TRS connector so you may need a TRS/XLR cable.
Good point my monitors actually have bare wire connectors .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 03-04-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Good point my monitors actually have bare wire connectors .
Hi Kev,

Are the plastic parts sticking out just above your wires a type of jack for a plug I've never seen before?
Old 03-04-2019, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
Hi Kev,

Are the plastic parts sticking out just above your wires a type of jack for a plug I've never seen before?
No those are actually just threaded screw in plug and sleeve connectors (about inch diameter) ,,, the part with the two rings (the plug) screws into the sleeves mounted on the speakers ... for easy hand tightening against the bare wire connections ..
I had not seen them either before getting these Amphion monitors ..

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 03-04-2019 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Yes as per muscmp 1/4 mono connection from Audient to speakers

and In PT select the Audient as input and output device

Curious as to what "flaky" means. because ( of course depending on which MAC and OS version and what version Of PT) and depending on exactly what you are recording and playing back it should be pretty stable as far as playback engine settings ?

What is happening that is an issue ?
Hey,

Thanks for asking. I am at the latest OS on a large iMac that is now 4 years old. What is happening is that the playback engine and I/O settings randomly change on occasion. Everything will be going great. I will save a session. The next time i log in, it may all still work or not. By work I mean that the playback engine may or may not still be using my current monitor etc.

I am not sure it is PRO Tools at fault, it may be the Mac changing the settings depending on what it senses at startup.

My plan would be to essentially de-install all other sound options except the monitors that are run through the iD4.

Thanks again!
Old 03-04-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks. agree. I bought cables that can are XLR at the monitor end and 1/4" at the Audient so should be all set there.

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2019, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Good point my monitors actually have bare wire connectors.
I've seen similar on stereo speakers but never on studio monitors. Is that typical of Amphion monitors?

YouTube
Old 03-04-2019, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edp251 View Post
Hey,

Thanks for asking. I am at the latest OS on a large iMac that is now 4 years old. What is happening is that the playback engine and I/O settings randomly change on occasion. Everything will be going great. I will save a session. The next time i log in, it may all still work or not. By work I mean that the playback engine may or may not still be using my current monitor etc.

I am not sure it is PRO Tools at fault, it may be the Mac changing the settings depending on what it senses at startup.

My plan would be to essentially de-install all other sound options except the monitors that are run through the iD4.

Thanks again!
Could be the Mac but I honestly doubt it ..... is it a Fusion drive machine ? there were some problems with Fusion a few PT versions back 10 or 11 but I thought it was more file location issues

Humm ? to clarify a bit further so you have PT not PT Free correct ? and you are running Mohave OS ? But on what PT version 2018.12 ?

Note PT is not yet officially qualified for Mohave, so that could be it, but also might not, as people are reporting running Mohave without issue over on the DUC.. Supposed to get qualified this month hopefully .

Also to clarify neither PT Playback Engine or the I/O actually specify or use "Monitor" per se ... I am guessing you mean Audio Device and PT is launching but does not see the Audio device and defaults to what ? your computer sound card ?
which does happen but is not normal

You might try this press down the N key before launching PT and hold it until PT either asks you choose an Audio Device, or launches and is automatically back on the correct device .

If that does not work you can always trash PT preferences.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 03-04-2019, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've seen similar on stereo speakers but never on studio monitors. Is that typical of Amphion monitors?
Yes they were a small hifi /stereo speaker mfg in Europe. With a reputation for clean, flat response, revealing, with high quality build . They got into studio monitors about 4 years ago. https://amphion.fi/

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 03-04-2019 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
My KRK Rokits (the 6" originals) use wire connectors, as did the original Event 20/20 8" monitors...of course this was 20 years ago.

I guess things have changed, LOL.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes they were a small hifi /stereo speaker mfg in Europe. With a reputation for clean, flat response, revealing, with high quality build . They got into studio monitors about 4 years ago. https://amphion.fi/
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
My KRK Rokits (the 6" originals) use wire connectors, as did the original Event 20/20 8" monitors...of course this was 20 years ago.

I guess things have changed, LOL.
I took a look on the intertubes. Amphion still uses the same connectors but KRK has both TRS and XLR, Event has XLR.

I had a Mackie 624 pair that I bought back around 2003. They took TRS or XLR. My current Neumann kh120 monitors take XLR only. A buddy of mine has a couple of Yamaha pairs. They take both TRS and XLR.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD