The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-27-2019, 10:19 AM

This just in, I had to teach a class on facebook and internet addiction yesterday and had to research the newest data.

It turns out that digital technology changes the structure of the brain, not only in adults, but more importantly, in youth. People under the age of 25 are vulnerable to digital activity. There are tons of papers on this.

My hypothesis is that digital technology is affecting young people, increasing their incidence of depression.

Cyberbullying is associated with changes in area 25 neural density in adolescents. Internet addiction is associated with numerous changes in the brain structure. Internet gaming disorder shows similar data. Clinical data show that young people are sleeping near their phones to not miss texts. Sleep deprivation and social anxiety are higher in young people now.

It would appear to me that young people are suffering from digital toxicity.

Some of you did not bother to read my references or track the thread and said things like "we are just bitter old men, kids are the same as ever".

The truth is this is the first generation to be raised on digital tech and they are becoming depressed, suicidal, anxious and awkward socially. Its not a choice of behavior. It is what digital devices do to the brain.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic