The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-20-2019, 12:42 PM

Default Need two-channel (acoustic, electric) guitar amp

I've started rehearsing in a duo with a singer/songwriter/guitarist. I'm doing the leads/fills. I don't sing. I need to use both an electric and an acoustic and don't really want to lug the separate amps that I have for each. The singer has a Henriksen Bud. That's nice but outside my budget. I've looked at all the reviews/descriptions I can find for two-channel acoustic amps but all appear aimed at singer+guitarist. Anyone here have (had) the same need I have, and if so what worked (best) for you? Thanks!
Old 02-20-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulHintz View Post
I've started rehearsing in a duo with a singer/songwriter/guitarist. I'm doing the leads/fills. I don't sing. I need to use both an electric and an acoustic and don't really want to lug the separate amps that I have for each. The singer has a Henriksen Bud. That's nice but outside my budget. I've looked at all the reviews/descriptions I can find for two-channel acoustic amps but all appear aimed at singer+guitarist. Anyone here have (had) the same need I have, and if so what worked (best) for you? Thanks!
An acoustic guitar amp is meant to be a full range amplifier. Where guitar amps are not full range and voiced quite differently

That said, I have plugged my Regent arch-top (with flatwounds) into my Loudbox Artist, and I was kind of surprised with how it sounded.

I love the Fishman Loudboxes, would kind of start with a Loudbox of some sort, Artist, mini.. mini charge.. but I'd for sure have some sort of pre-amp in front of the amp for the electric.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:09 PM

Have you considered a powered speaker with a mixer and an amp head with a line out?
By the time you are all the mixers, preamp and stuff it may be the same hassle as two amps though.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-20-2019, 01:22 PM

I use the Boss Katana 100 it has Acoustic channel that works really. It is an very sweet electric guitar amp. Check reviews. Plus it has effects built in including Acoustic sims etc. They run about $350 new.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:54 PM

One option would be to buy a decent acoustic amplifier and put a cabinet simulator in your pedal chain for when you want to run an electric through it. The full range speakers in acoustic amps and powered speakers will make your overdrive / distortion pedals sound terrible without a cab simulator. Even a cheapo one, like the Donner DI box, will work.

Eastman E10OO
Eastman E1D
Eastman E1OM
Martin 000RS1
Eastman PCH-GACE
Recording King RP-06
Blueridge BR-40T Tenor
Gold Tone TG10 Tenor
Old 02-20-2019, 02:57 PM

Another option would be to get a modelling unit, like the Avid eleven rack which is actually pretty cheap right now, and then use it to drive a powered speaker. I've gigged acoustic and electric through the same chain successfully that way.

Eastman E10OO
Eastman E1D
Eastman E1OM
Martin 000RS1
Eastman PCH-GACE
Recording King RP-06
Blueridge BR-40T Tenor
Gold Tone TG10 Tenor
Old 02-21-2019, 10:51 AM

Quilter Mach 2 or their Aviator 8 combo (now out of production). Both have two channels and use a full range speaker. Use channel two for you electric and use the aux input for channel one with any acoustic preamp for your acoustic. No tone sacrifice for either guitar. Plus, very portable and loud.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification