The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 03-02-2018, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
Arrrrgh .... video unavailable on Youtube on this side of the pond, and Amazon won't send the DVD either ...what's that all about ?

Fortunately I have a contact in the US who will buy it and ship it.
Interesting! If you are a Prime Member in the US, you can stream it on TV using this link provided above
https://www.amazon.com/David-Bromber.../dp/B00IT4DJ3Y

I just watched it and it was great. I hope you figure it out because it’s worth watching. Good luck.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:07 PM

I used one of his album covers as a style to emulate when I asked an artist to sketch for the cover of my latest guitar book.

Bromberg's album cover...

My book cover...
Old 03-02-2018, 02:09 PM

David was at the Dick Boak Retirement Bash. His voice and abiltiy is amazing. I know Mark Cosgrove from when he owned a natural food store and he would teach guitar in the back room. A super great man that has serious chops!!
Old 03-02-2018, 02:41 PM

His version of "Dehlia" on that first album is simply perfect.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:59 PM

Had the privilege of seeing Bromberg many times over the years, always great but even better when you catch him playing a small venue. Saw him with Jorma at the Keswick near Philadelphia....decidedly not a small venue... in one of the more memorable concerts. And always funny, too. At the Keswick, someone shouted out a request. Without a moment's hesitation, he replied "can't do it! Leave the playlists to the pros."
Old 03-02-2018, 05:14 PM

I appreciate the heads up on this...I looked it up, and saved it in my Watchlist on Amazon Prime and I'm looking forward to enjoying it for my late night viewing tonight...
Old 03-04-2018, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
I was there as well that year, Andy!

IIRC it was 1975 (or '76) His big band gig was indeed sensational. Did you also catch him earlier in the day at the guitar workshop, with Dick Fegy (R.I.P) ?

Those were the days ... Isaac Guillory, Paul Geremia, David Bromberg, Dick Fegy and several other lesser known names, who were all nonetheless superlative players.

Hope you are surviving the weather down there ... everything still at a standstill up here
Hi Murray, I certainly saw Isaac, and attended his workshop - brutally early on a hangover Sunday morning. Didn't know that DB had a workshop, and hadn't heard of Paul G back then. Ah, thems wus the days!
Old 03-05-2018, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

''Get your tongue out of my mouth, cause I'm kissing you goodbye''

From the middle of the video. It ranks right up there with

''If you don't believe I'm leavin, you just count the days I'm gone!''
Old 03-06-2018, 08:02 AM

I saw him a couple of times in Chicago with his band in the late 70's and then poof he went off to make violins. Great artist and band
Old 03-06-2018, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

I found this little piece of an article from the Philadelphia Enquirer. This was the David Bromberg show of all of them;

''Mar 24, 1974 - JOHN HARTFORD, DAVID BROMBERG, NORMAN BLAKE, VASSAR CLEMENTS, TUT TAYLOR, & DAVE HOLLAND . ACADEMY OF MUSIC ( FOR IMP0RTANTSP0KEN ROLES ( UtUJlJta-.'SP S IN CONTEMPORARY OPERA -SSf ) Classical Training Desirable ' "SjSfwJEeiSn ! PHILA. MUSICAL ...''

Was anyone else there. It was the only time I saw David in a suit, three piece no less. What a night!
Old 03-14-2018, 01:54 PM

Nice to have a David Bromberg thread. Watched the documentary mentioned above, thanks, on Amazon last night. Really enjoyed. Seen Bromberg more times than I can remember and have many albums/CDs. A real favorite. For those who saw the documentary, I wanted to mention I went to a couple of the jams on Market Street in Wilmington and they were as good as it gets. Had just started taking lessons when I went after a load of encouragement from someone on the Larrivee Forum. There were 2 jams a week. One night was a Bluegrass jam and the other night was a blues jam. I went to the bluegrass jam as I was focused on flatpicking. The jam started at 6. The early part of the jam was more of a slow jam for less experienced players. It was fast for me but no one was lest behind or made to feel out of place or unwelcome. Just great. It was pretty crowded with the circle in a good size room being 2 deep. Someone took the lead and Bromberg left the room around 8.00. Shortly after that, music could be heard coming from another room. I packed up with sore fingers around that time and went to see what was going on in the other room. In that room, there were a number of people with guitars, mandos, fiddles, and even a harp or 2. David Bromberg was now in that room with what was clearly 'the A team'. The playing was just incredible. I stayed, watched and listened til about 10.30 or so. Fantastic experience. Did the evening again a 2nd time a couple months later. Great opportunity for me that I count as one of the high points of having to travel to New Castle and Wilmington for work on a regular basis for a couple of years. I recommend the movie to those with Amazon.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 03-14-2018, 04:50 PM

thank you for the Amazon link.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN