The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-20-2014, 06:53 PM

Default how many times can a guitar be refretted?

So I'm looking at a relatively new martin guitar which recently had a refret. If I buy it I'm thinking of having it refretted again with taller frets. Is there a limit to how many times a guitar can be refretted? Does a refret cause any minor damage? should be done only when necessary?
1968 Yamaha FG-180
Old 07-20-2014, 07:10 PM

Refrets are mostly none destructive, but the action of pressing in the tang with its burrs, then removing it, can damage the edges of the fret slot and make it harder to seat new frets properly.

That said, a guitar shouldn't need fret replacement often. About 3 or 4 fret dresses should be possible per set of frets, with anywhere from 3 to 20 years or more between fret dressings (depending on fret composition, string choice, and player technique). A guitar should be able to have frets replaced at least a handful of times without undue difficulty.

Long and short, you shouldn't have to worry about limited refret potential for the length of your ownership of a guitar. Worst case scenario, the fingerboard could be replaced, but that would be rare indeed.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 07-20-2014, 08:08 PM
Dan - Charter Member

You could refret with EVO or stainless steel wire and that would probably be the last refret you would need.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:45 PM

Go for it. Taller frets and you'll have plenty of material for leveling and crowning in the future.
If the slots get wore out from too many refrets or improper fret removal, then they can be filled and re-cut or larger tang frets can be used. As well as enlarging the tang with tools.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:47 AM

Great thanks guys. I was just a little a concerned, as the guitar is quite "young" and i dont want to shorten it's lifespan by doing too many refrets so early on. But it seems like that shouldnt be an issue, even if i do need another refret 10 years down the road or so.
1968 Yamaha FG-180
Old 07-21-2014, 11:58 AM

If your guitar has a brazilian rosewood fretboard, or something similarly rare or valuable, stainless steel or gold evo could be worth a stronger look. Just because a refret might last the rest of your life doesn't mean there isn't someone down the road who will enjoy that guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair