The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-08-2014, 02:02 PM

Default Local Shop Damaged my Martin

Hi guys- I had my Martin in to a local shop for my yearly setup. When I got it back today, I noticed rings gouged into the headstock wood, apparently from an electric string winder. What's worse, they tried to cover it up with a furniture marker. I know for a fact that these marks were not there prior to my dropping the guitar off. I play this guitar at least several hours a week and I know every inch of it. Plus, I don't use a string winder!

So how should I handle this? I have an e-mail into the music store owner. But I feel like the guitar is ruined now. It was "only" a $1700 Martin which I know isn't saying much but this has me so mad I am beside myself.

Thoughts?
Old 07-08-2014, 02:09 PM

The guitar is not "ruined". It has minor cosmetic damage that can be repaired by many competent repair people. Ideally, an instrument should be returned to you in at least as good condition as you supplied it to them. I can understand your displeasure at receiving it in worse condition than it went in with.

Obviously, the first step is to contact the store to remedy the problem, as you did.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:12 PM

It's the fact that they tried to cover it up. That's what has me so mad.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:38 PM

I would confront the shop owner and try to be reasonable. Most people value their customers and are willing to do the right thing to make it right. He likely doesn't even know it happened. That shouldn't be very difficult to repair, but I'd ask for them to pay for a Martin guy to do it (not the guy with the touchup marker)

If they don't accept responsibility though, I'd tell everyone I know.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:54 PM

Gonna sell it soon? No? Relax .. it's just normal wear and tear. I do my own setups, and avoid such issues, but even so, I still manage to put a mark on them every now and then. No biggie.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:15 PM

This is exactly why I stopped getting even setups and other minor work done by "counter techs". Most of these guys are hourly employees that have little or nothing to lose but a low paying job if they destroy someone's guitar. Just because your paying good money for a setup doesn't mean that the guy doing it sees much of it.
Go to a real luthier. Most of these guys work for themselves. It won't cost much more - might be the same price, and you will get so much more for your money.
Get an estimate for the repair from one of these guys (or two) then take that with you to the store owner and make him pay the bill. If he's got any ethics at all it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
Gonna sell it soon? No? Relax .. it's just normal wear and tear. I do my own setups, and avoid such issues, but even so, I still manage to put a mark on them every now and then. No biggie.
Out of ordinary damage caused by someone else isn't "normal wear and tear". Yes, it's only cosmetic, but that is besides the point. If I took out a pocket knife and scratched my initials into the finish on the back of your guitar, it's still only cosmetic. But I don't think anyone would consider that ordinary wear and tear. Sure, the tech did it out of laziness instead of on purpose, but does it make it that much better?

To the original poster, your guitar isn't ruined. But its not right they returned your guitar in a different condition than you left it, excluding the setup work. Doesn't matter its minor or that it doesn't affect functionality. Its not their property so they have no right to decide what damage to it does or doesn't matter. I would go talk to the shop owner, politely. If they won't make it right, then let everyone know how they mistreated you.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

You're right that the worst part about it is they didn't mention it to you - they should have pointed it out, said they'd had a little accident or whatever, and had tried to touch it up, and hoped you were willing to accept it as is with their apologies. That would have been the most responsible thing to do -

The other thing is, anytime you have someone else work on your guitar, you should make sure you have the time to check it out when you pick it up, and go over any problems you find before you leave the shop. Once you say thanks and walk out the door, you're losing alot of your ability to complain about anything you find wrong later - and the longer you wait, the more you lose.

But the world isn't perfect, and I hope the owner tries to get it right with you -
Old 07-08-2014, 07:16 PM

Smile

Charles Tauber used to put me off with all his abrupt impolite realism, but now I've decided I like him.

Sorry that happened to your guitar. I did the same thing to my own precious instrument.
1976 Ovation 1613-4 nylon--spruce top
1963 Guild Mark II nylon--spruce top
Old 07-08-2014, 07:30 PM

................ not worth the effort ...............
Old 07-08-2014, 08:27 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

IF you find the shop uncooperative do you have pictures? Is it repairable without loss of value? If it is truely mared beyound a good buffing? Then send good photos to Martin for thier price to fix including shipping and go to small claims court. Fair should be fair, the store hurt it they should make good or compensate the repair cost. When it is not fair is what court is supposed to serve the purpose for.
Or next time you are in the shop you could key a Gibson 335 and call it a day. KIDDING!

Last edited by Kitchen Guitars; 07-08-2014 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:14 AM

Wait and see what the shop owner has to say. I am sure any reputable owner will want to do something to remedy the situation. But be realistic....shipping the guitar back to the factory and expecting him to foot the whole bill may be a bit unrealistic. He will likely want to use someone local, and that's fine. Just make sure that person is actually in the guitar biz and not a local auto body shop.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoertz View Post
It's the fact that they tried to cover it up. That's what has me so mad.
Yeah that's not cool. Everyone makes mistakes. When I do, I cover it up but I let the customer know. As Charles said it's not any where near 'ruined' so sit back and relax and know that this can be professionally covered up to where you will not notice a difference and it will be as good as new.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earwitness View Post
Charles Tauber used to put me off with all his abrupt impolite realism, but now I've decided I like him.
Hmm, "abrupt impolite realism".

Well, instead of my original, what I'd call stoic, minimalist, just-the-facts response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
The guitar is not "ruined". It has minor cosmetic damage that can be repaired by many competent repair people. Ideally, an instrument should be returned to you in at least as good condition as you supplied it to them. I can understand your displeasure at receiving it in worse condition than it went in with.

Obviously, the first step is to contact the store to remedy the problem, as you did.
Let me try to get this right :

Oh dude! That's like so uncool. I'm really sorry, man, that this travesty has happened to you and your axe is so totalled. You should, like, sue their behinds-off for every nickel they got. If I were you, I'd be even more pissed than you are. I'd immediately head back to the store and give the owner a ear-full about how lousy his business is an' how much his "tech" sucks. I'd spread this all over the internet. If he doesn't entirely replace the guitar with a new one EXACLTY like it - and throw in some free stuff 'cause of the inconvenience and suffering he caused - that's what you should do. And if that doesn't work, I'd picket his store and take out full page newspaper ads warning people how much he and his store completely totals peoples' guitars, kind of like United.

Yes, you're right: the emotional, heart-on-sleeve, melodramatic, world-will-come-to-an-end response is a big improvement over my initial response of "abrupt impolite realism".

(No offense meant, I'm just having fun with it. I like you too, by the way.)

Last edited by charles Tauber; 07-09-2014 at 07:27 AM.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Hmm, "abrupt impolite realism".

Well, instead of my, what I'd call stoic, minimalist, just-the-facts response:

Let me try to get this right :

Oh dude! That's like so uncool. I'm really sorry, man, that this travesty has happened to you and your axe is so totalled. You should, like, sue their behinds-off for every nickel they got. If I were you, I'd be even more pissed than you are. I'd immediately head back to the store and give the owner a ear-full about how lousy his business is an' how much his "tech" sucks. I'd spread this all over the internet. If he doesn't entirely replace the guitar with a new one EXACLTY like it - and throw in some free stuff 'cause of the inconvenience and suffering he caused - that's what you should do.

Yes, you're right: the emotional, heart-on-sleeve, melodramatic, world-will-come-to-an-end response is a big improvement over my initial response of "abrupt impolite realism".

(No offense meant, I'm just having fun with it. I like you too, by the way.)

Hilarious!!!!
max

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair