The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 11-14-2003, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by samchar
I think his "hits" are hits for a reason. I like "Crash" and "The Space Between".
they're a little more on the "pop" side of dmb's reportiore -- not really too representative of the band as a whole....i'd definitely second the majority of pipsqueak's suggestions, which were...

Two Step
Stay or Leave
Gravedigger
Warehouse
Halloween
Pig

not too many of these songs really showcase dave's guitar talent (with exception to warehouse, which is tougher), but i must say that "pig" is one of my favorite songs, lyrically, that dave has ever written.

if you wanna hear some of dave's more funky guitar riffs, check out tripping billies, so much to say, the stone, recently

for outstanding lyrical songs, try pig, #41, you never know, cry freedom, typical situation, dancing nancies, etc.

enjoy!!
Bose PAS - Single Bass Unit
http://www.myspace.com/donbecker
Old 11-14-2003, 11:12 AM

If there's any butt-whipping gonna happen I want an invitation to the party. Nuthin' I like better'n a good old-fashioned free-for-all.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by samchar
I don't see that changing any time soon unless someone can convince me otherwise.
Like what you want. If you must be convinced, then you already have your answer. I like Dave. I like the whole band. I also like Tim with Dave/Band. I don't like Tim's own stuff. For that matter I don't like Doyle Dykes. I do like Zwan/Pumpkins and Billy's most nasal voice in the world. Why?

Because. And I respect any of your opinions on why you do or don't like these artists. But I do think it downright rude to request someone not post their opinion. That's also not what this forum is well known for. That's my 2 cents.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by alapbj
And I respect any of your opinions on why you do or don't like these artists. But I do think it downright rude to request someone not post their opinion. That's also not what this forum is well known for. That's my 2 cents.
Huh? You lost me here. Did I somehow suggest that someone not post their opinion?

My point about "convince me otherwise" was a call to arms for any DMB affecianados to recommend a record to me.
2002 Taylor BabyM
Old wood tambourine & wire brushes
Old 11-15-2003, 01:09 AM

HAHAHA, another DMB-related thread. Another chance to unite DMB fans on our forum, where they can talk about the music they love, only to be ripped into by those who find his music inferior to their highly sophisticated musical choices. They also must made it be known that they think that he is talentless and the only reason that us, the fans, like him is because he is "mainstream". I think that DM ties Blink182 for least respected artist on this forum, even though there are many loyal fans of DM. People disliked Blink because there was a video of them smashing a Taylor, and many people believe that they are far better musicians than Blink. Dave is disliked, well, because, umm...he is overhyped? his fans love his music so much that they like to talk about it? His songs are popular? He is not as good as some people believe they are? He has a signiture Martin? He is on the radio? Young people like him? He has a differant style of playing? His chords are to streached out? I've heard them all, and they are all rediculous. I don't think DM is a guitar god, I just like his songs. The thing that really gets me laughing is when people insult Dave and then make fun of fans who get defensive. OF COURSE they are getting defensive, because what some people say is offensive!

for some DMB newbies, try out:
Crush
Two Step
Tripping Billies
Grey Street
What Would You Say?
So Much To Say
Bartender
Warehouse
Stay or Leave
Gravedigger (acoustic or original)

2003 314CE
2001 Gibson Les Paul
2000 Gibson Explorer
2000 Fender Stratocaster USA Std.
Old 11-15-2003, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mbrown3
If by "like," you actually mean, "want to rip my ears off to get the annoyance to stop," then yes, I like him very much.

I had an "ASNR" with that one: "Acute Sudden Nasal Reflux". In layman's terms, I shot coffee out my nose...

Steve
Old 11-15-2003, 02:04 AM

Early on, I liked him. I thought "Under The Table And Dreaming" was pretty good. After that, it all started to sound the same to me...

Steve
Old 11-15-2003, 02:49 AM

I own a DM3MD but can't get into DMB's music....KIDDING!!!! I strummed the first chord to #41 a few years ago and never looked back...DMB all the way baby!
Old 11-15-2003, 02:50 AM

I own a DM3MD but can't get into DMB's music....KIDDING!!!! I strummed the first chord to #41 a few years ago and never looked back...DMB all the way baby! The Stone is my favorite, however...and i love the BTCS cd, especially the little jams and hidden tracks between each song...
Old 11-15-2003, 11:18 AM

T714, do you really own a DM3MD?

2003 314CE
2001 Gibson Les Paul
2000 Gibson Explorer
2000 Fender Stratocaster USA Std.
Old 11-15-2003, 11:50 AM

Yeah, he's got one. TGF member Boiler has one. John Mayer and Barry Zito have one each. A couple of UMGF members have one each. Dave has two or three and Oh yeah, I have one.

P.S. : I also have a Dave Matthews Some Devil sticker.
Martin DM3MD (122 of 234)
Old 11-15-2003, 07:20 PM

Thanks for the intro Ricky. Do I like Dave and his band, yes. Do I care that some people don't like Dave and his band, no.

Just because I enjoy certain music doesn't make me inclined to convince everybody else to support my cause. I said this before, Dave's music and lyrics are meaningful me. If Joe Blow says Dave sucks, who cares, that doesn't change my feelings at all.

Part of my motivation to play comes from listening to DMB. There's no better way to end the day than to sit down by myself in the family room and strum away. Everybody's entitled to their own opinion, I vote for Dave and his Band.
Goodall: RS (EIR/ItalSpruce), KCJCK (Koa/Koa), TRD (EIR/Adi)
Martin: DM3MD 81/234 (EIR/EngSpruce), 1833 D-45 (MadRW/Adi), OM-42 (MadRW/Adi)
Merrill C-28 (BRW/Adi)
Taylor: 914-CE-L1 (EIR/EngSpruce), BTO GA-C (MadRW/Adi), DMSM (EIR/Sitka)
Old 11-15-2003, 07:43 PM

you guys need to get ben harper's latest.."diamonds on the inside" I just got it tonight..awesome..

i
Old 11-16-2003, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CDT
you guys need to get ben harper's latest.."diamonds on the inside" I just got it tonight..awesome..

i
ahhh....I've listened to this.....

it's really pretty decent.....and IT WAS ABOUT FREAKIN TIME for Ben to get another CD out!!

he must have had writer's block or something for a while....

'02 314ce-LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Poor
pipsqueak for President. The choice is clear.
"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all. ~ Michelangelo ~ (1474-1564, Italian Renaissance Painter, Sculptor) "
Old 11-17-2003, 01:21 AM

I am a very recent DMB fan and have really enjoyed his live stuff with Tim Reynolds especially the bonus tracks that came with his Some Devil disc:

Grey Street
When the World Ends
Jimi Thing
Stay or Leave

I pre-ordered his new live DVD that is shipping this week. I ordered it mostly because I didnt think I would get a chance to see him live anytime soon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell