The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-16-2019, 07:22 AM

Default Schatten HFN Passive dual source

Have you ever used the Schatten HFN Passive with another pickup?

I was wondering if the HFN would be a nice match with another passive LR Baggs M80 pickup.

I was thinking in go with the HFN into a DI, and into the mixer, since I have EQ and Compressor in the mixer (QSC Touchmix 8) and run the M80 into another DI, my pedalboard, then into the mixer.

With that, I would have two signals: one more natural and clean (HFN) and other dedicated to the effects (M80).

Have you ever tried the HFN with another pickup?
Old 03-16-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANDAPANDELO View Post
Have you ever used the Schatten HFN Passive with another pickup?

I was wondering if the HFN would be a nice match with another passive LR Baggs M80 pickup.

I was thinking in go with the HFN into a DI, and into the mixer, since I have EQ and Compressor in the mixer (QSC Touchmix 8) and run the M80 into another DI, my pedalboard, then into the mixer.

With that, I would have two signals: one more natural and clean (HFN) and other dedicated to the effects (M80).

Have you ever tried the HFN with another pickup?
Yes I have. I tried it with the Baggs Tru-mic in the Anthem system and it was fine. That was kind of pointless though as the HFN sounds more like a mic than the Baggs Tru-mic. Schatten actually recommends dual sourcing it with a magnetic pickup so in that regard the M80 should be a good match. I'll be dual sourcing it with a Barbera Soloist that I have in the very near future using Schatten's artist preamp. While the HFN is totally fine on it's own, this is more of a "plan b" just in case I get in a situation where an SBT won't cut it.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:42 PM

I am fairly acquainted with the M80 and really can't see it adding much to the HFN. I just installed the HFN and love it though it is quite capable of producing the tones that I get from the M80 and then some. It also provides a lot of tapping possibilities as it excites the face of the guitar quite substantially. I understand using effects requires the M80 so that might be the only benefit to adding that into the dual source. I think I might try adding a small condensor mic, like the DPA mics, into the mix and see if that adds more warmth or depth or air, whatever one wants to call it. Might be a nice dual source.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:49 PM

Keep in mind that the M80 can be passive or active with the flip of a very small switch. It carries that flat small battery that we all use if one wants it to be active. The tone is nearly the same either way, passive or active. The volume is unaffected.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:39 PM

I'd like to pair it with an internal mic like this video. There's supposedly instructions on how to wire it some where on the innerwebs. But, I've not been able to find it. Also, I'm not sure what the best mic to use is.
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 03-20-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
I'd like to pair it with an internal mic like this video. There's supposedly instructions on how to wire it some where on the innerwebs. But, I've not been able to find it. Also, I'm not sure what the best mic to use is.
Well you could pair it with a mic if that's what you wanted but I personally would recommend something else. The HFN sounds enough like a mic on it's own that it's really not worth it. You would be better off dual sourcing it with something that has higher feedback rejection than SBT's in general like a UST or magnetic pickup. I personally don't like either of those options and since I already have a Barbera Soloist pickup that's what I will be dual sourcing it with when my X20 gets here. There has been enough people reporting that the HFN has great feedback rejection on it's own so that's something else to consider. I'm doing the dual source in one guitar only more of a "just in case" scenario. Note that it's only the Artist preamp that has the dual source option. You can get the instructions on Schatten's website under the HFN Artist section. Here's a pic below of all you need to see. If you order a HFN Artist all you have to do is solder your other pickup to "input 2" on the preamp and set the gain however you like. Keep in mind this is just my opinion and I'm quite happy with the passive HFN on its own.

[IMG][/IMG]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification