The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-11-2019, 07:38 PM

Default Volume control on passive pickup

Hello,
I’m readin a lot about the Schatten HFN and going passive.
How do you do volume changes during a song or between songs? The onboard preamp models (Fishman, etc) provides this at hand. I see the HFN has a pot volume control. Is that what passive pickup users use?

I play at church and a few other gigs and I change volume when I change from finger picking to strumming. I also like to turn off the volume when moving around and changing books and pages.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:44 PM

Schatten sells a passive volume control as one option:

https://schatten-pickups.myshopify.c...volume-control

I've got one, but I replaced the pot with a 25K linear to use with active pickups. It comes stock with a 500K analog taper pot which should be fine for an HFN into a high impedance load such as a guitar amp or guitar pedal.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 03-11-2019, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

Similar to Jon's post, I use a Taylor V-Cable, a guitar cable with an on/off/volume built into the 90º jack on one end. I originally bought it to use with a guitar with a passive pickup, but found I really get the most use with all my active pickup guitars when changing guitars: roll the switch off and no popping noise when you unplug the cable and plug it into the next guitar.

Taylor isn't selling these anymore, but you can occasionally find old stock in a guitar shop. RapcoHorizon sells a similar cable (and I think originally made them for Taylor). Available at Sweetwater.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Similar to Jon's post, I use a Taylor V-Cable, a guitar cable with an on/off/volume built into the 90º jack on one end. I originally bought it to use with a guitar with a passive pickup, but found I really get the most use with all my active pickup guitars when changing guitars: roll the switch off and no popping noise when you unplug the cable and plug it into the next guitar.

Taylor isn't selling these anymore, but you can occasionally find old stock in a guitar shop. RapcoHorizon sells a similar cable (and I think originally made them for Taylor). Available at Sweetwater.
That is neat! I wasn't aware these existed thanks for sharing. Regarding the question from the OP, if you order the passive Schatten it won't come with a volume control. The do sell them separately as Jonfields said, they are a little pricey though. If you're an avid DIYer any pot will work fine to accomplish what you want, even a typical pot that you see on an electric guitar, though aesthetically it wouldn't be pleasing. You could also buy a thumbwheel off Ebay and solder it yourself. A linear pot would be ideal but a tapered pot would be fine also.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
That is neat! I wasn't aware these existed thanks for sharing. Regarding the question from the OP, if you order the passive Schatten it won't come with a volume control. The do sell them separately as Jonfields said, they are a little pricey though.
Depends on your POV doesn't it? The Schatten Black Box (I have two, and nothing I could make myself is nearly as elegant as the newer design) is $45 but the 10' Rapco Horizon V Cable is $52 and the 10' Taylor is $99 (all on Amazon.com).

If you already have decent TS cables then which is "a little pricey though"?

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjs View Post
Depends on your POV doesn't it? The Schatten Black Box (I have two, and nothing I could make myself is nearly as elegant as the newer design) is $45 but the 10' Rapco Horizon V Cable is $52 and the 10' Taylor is $99 (all on Amazon.com).

If you already have decent TS cables then which is "a little pricey though"?

Phil
Ummm I dunno if you misunderstood what I said so I guess I'll have to clarify. I was referring to this:

[IMG][/IMG]

That sells for $35.95 USD from StewMac. Good quality I'm sure but a little pricey for what it is. You can get the thumbwheels off ebay for a couple bucks, though certainly not the same quality, and solder it in yourself. I thought the cable was a neat idea as I've never seen or heard of them before, it accomplishes the same thing but avoids more stuff inside your guitar. I never once mentioned this "black box", but I just looked it up, it's neat as well, not quite as aesthetically pleasing as the cable though.

Last edited by GuitarLuva; 03-12-2019 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:58 PM

I use the K&K Pure belt-clip preamp to handle both the impedance matching and volume issue. I switch between bare finger fingerpicking and pick strumming so I want the volume control within reach.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:14 PM

Any time you stick a pot (variable resistor) in line with a passive pickup, you are likely changing the system impedance with different pot settings. This can (and does) cause things like treble disappearing as you turn down the volume.

Some designs add a capacitor to keep the treble from being affected.

Here is a thread from 12 years ago about K+K with a Schatten Black Box:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=105667

Myself, I like to hit an impedance matching stage first. I use my ToneDexter as the DI stage, and then put a passive volume pedal in the FX loop. ToneDexter also has a Mute which is turning out to be handy.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 03-12-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
Any time you stick a pot (variable resistor) in line with a passive pickup, you are likely changing the system impedance with different pot settings. This can (and does) cause things like treble disappearing as you turn down the volume.

Some designs add a capacitor to keep the treble from being affected.

Here is a thread from 12 years ago about K+K with a Schatten Black Box:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=105667

Myself, I like to hit an impedance matching stage first. I use my ToneDexter as the DI stage, and then put a passive volume pedal in the FX loop. ToneDexter also has a Mute which is turning out to be handy.
I think this is more about a magnetic pickup. My experience with a piezo pickup is you will be ok with a passive volume control. If you decide to buy the Schatten, Blue Star Music has it a little cheaper.

https://www.bluestarmusic.com/Schatt...ol_p_1016.html

Making one is not hard, but I was not able to match the Schatten for compactness...

IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 03-14-2019 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:05 PM

I wired my own 500k pot to a passive Barbera Soloist with no issues. I certainly love having a passive pickup. There are times when I miss the volume at the fingertips though, like the OP. I might take Jon's idea and make my own if I can find a small enclosure to my liking.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:41 PM

I used to just rely on the board settings for volume adjustments, but now I have a Wampler EQuator semi-parametric EQ in the effects loop of my Red-Eye preamp, and use the volume control of the EQuator. It's a superior EQ, and the volume control is a bonus.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:38 PM

I have gone to using an MXR mini-Dunlop volume pedal. It does not have a large amount of “throw” but enough to back off or increase the volume. I use it in front of the HX Stomp or the ToneDexter with MXR pedals in the TD Effects loop.

I also have the Taylor V cables but they are longer than 10’ So a bit bulky in small setups. A lot of time I leave the dynamics to my fingers and playing styles.

Davidc
Old 04-05-2023, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
I wired my own 500k pot to a passive Barbera Soloist with no issues. I certainly love having a passive pickup. There are times when I miss the volume at the fingertips though, like the OP. I might take Jon's idea and make my own if I can find a small enclosure to my liking.
Sorry to resurrect an old post - but I am confused...
You wired a 500k pot to a passive barbera soloist with no issues. But you say you miss having volume at the fingertips?
So the volume pot was not in/on the guitar, but it worked?
Old 04-05-2023, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification