The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-08-2019, 12:40 PM

Default Tips for improving?

As some background, I've been playing for over 20 years. I can play decently but am really interested in getting better. Here's a brief video showing where I am at skill-wise (this is not at all necessary to watch so if you are not inclined please just read on)!

I know that it is said, nothing beats in-person 1 on 1 lessons. I've taken them in the past for guitar, and on two different occasions for voice.

However this time, I'd specifically like to focus on the online component.

I've been using online lessons through TrueFire and sometimes YouTube for about 1.5 years. They can be helpful but something about it keeps me from progressing as rapidly as I'd expect, and I can easily lose interest. I think there's a lack of lessons that apply to my skill level, and also a lack of lessons that really have a logical skill progression. I find most lessons to either be far too beginner level, or too difficult, or just plain not applicable.

I am not sure what I want to get better at specifically, and figuring that out would probably be helpful.

Questions:
-What online lessons have given you the most benefit (you can mention specific teachers, courses or instructors on TrueFire, etc)?
-Were there any obstacles you had to pass in your specific situation that helped you progress more rapidly?
-Any other tips you can think of?

Thank you all!
Old 03-08-2019, 12:55 PM

Hi Cybershot,
I watched your video. We have a similar skill set and level of playing although I think you're a bit better with your flat-picking skills than I am.
Just analyzing what you are showing doesn't really tell your story.
The real question is what do you want to do with what you are able to do.
Can you play melodic solos in a group scenario or with another player spontaneously and in various genre's? Do you want to? Do you play with others at all? I found that playing in a worship band and in a duet has helped me learn to do a lot of things out of necessity. Do you sing?...perform in front of others? Do you want to learn theory? Is there are genre' you particularly are drawn to?
I take lessons every other week from a great instructor who has helped me leaps and bounds. I basically showed him what I could do, told him what I wanted to do and away we went.
What is it that you enjoy about what you can do and where would you like to apply it is the real question...I think.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 03-08-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:20 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by ii Cybershot ii View Post
As some background, I've been playing for over 20 years. I can play decently but am really interested in getting better. ....
I am not sure what I want to get better at specifically...
Looks like you have a lot of great stuff happening there. My own two cents is to focus on basics in a serious and sustained way. I made a series of short video essays a while back about things you can focus on -without learning any new chords, scales etc- to really get to the next level of making music. It's at https://thirtydayguitarchallenge.tumblr.com
Old 03-08-2019, 01:21 PM

I think you nailed it in your comments, you have to know what you want to get better at to really make progress. Bluegrass flat picking? Finger style blues? Open tunings/dadgad stuff? Jazz chord/melody? Gypsy Jazz? How can you go down these roads without making a bit of a commitment to the style? Doesn't mean you have to live there, you can move on to another style eventually, but I think some immersion in a specific style really will push your playing. It takes all the building blocks you've learned and starts adding the nuances that take your playing up a notch.
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36
Old 03-08-2019, 02:15 PM

There are basically two roads to improvement. 1. Becomes an expert at what you are already good at. 2. Learn a new skill

You choose, focus and do it
Hofner Club 50 (currently for sale)
Jose Rodriguez estudente classical

Formerly owned:
K. Yairi NY0021
Guild D25-NT
Epiphone PR5E
Heritage H-127
Godin SG Summit
Ibanez TTR30 Talman Nylon
Epiphone Telecaster copy
Hofner 175 (II)
Eko 'SG' short scale bass
Old 03-08-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolbury View Post
I think you nailed it in your comments, you have to know what you want to get better at to really make progress. Bluegrass flat picking? Finger style blues? Open tunings/dadgad stuff? Jazz chord/melody? Gypsy Jazz? How can you go down these roads without making a bit of a commitment to the style? Doesn't mean you have to live there, you can move on to another style eventually, but I think some immersion in a specific style really will push your playing. It takes all the building blocks you've learned and starts adding the nuances that take your playing up a notch.
Sorry my ADD kicked in with my initial reply below. I thought that was the OP saying that. But he'll get the idea anyway. Your suggestion was spot on!

I have gotten a little bored playing lately so now I am tackling learning some bluegrass. Not that I want to play it necessarily but I think it could help me grow. There are other things I have learned like hybrid picking, arpeggios and a little travis picking that has helped me grow. Just knowing a little bit of any of that stuff and you can incorporate it into something that you already play and develop your own style. You are a better strummer than I am I can tell that. I need to get better at that. I didn't watch the whole video though. You may have done some of what I suggested.
2019 Yamaha FGx5
2020 Yamaha AC3M Deluxe
2019 Yamaha FG800
2005 Taylor 214
Ibanez AEB10E Acoustic Bass
Old 03-08-2019, 03:03 PM

Your playing is fine but on the video its variations on a theme, or the same rhythm patterns over and over with variation. I suggest you take what you know and branch out with the style you already know. You could add a lot more subtlety and crosspicking to your playing. Adjust the volume and intensity even more. Use a capo and play up the neck so you have to learn without having the full neck to use like you do in the video. Play what you know in a different key using different chords which will of course challenge you and create a different sound entirely. Do some drop tuning. Learn new rhythm patterns versus allowing yourself to play the same patterns over and over.
You have a great start and your playing is fine. Just add to it. Don't have to leave the genre or style of music unless you want to and then its a good idea to learn country, bluegrass, folk, reggae, blues, jazz, rock, etc.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
Your playing is fine but on the video its variations on a theme, or the same rhythm patterns over and over with variation. I suggest you take what you know and branch out with the style you already know. You could add a lot more subtlety and crosspicking to your playing. Adjust the volume and intensity even more. Use a capo and play up the neck so you have to learn without having the full neck to use like you do in the video. Play what you know in a different key using different chords which will of course challenge you and create a different sound entirely. Do some drop tuning. Learn new rhythm patterns versus allowing yourself to play the same patterns over and over.
You have a great start and your playing is fine. Just add to it. Don't have to leave the genre or style of music unless you want to and then its a good idea to learn country, bluegrass, folk, reggae, blues, jazz, rock, etc.
Agreed. My advice too.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
Agreed. My advice too.
+2, Yeah, I think this one ^^^ really catches the essence of it all. Beyond dropped D there is also the further exploration of alternate tunings (DADGAD, CGCGCD, DGDGBE, etc.). You seem to enjoy Major/minor 7ths and I'll bet some of the sounds in these tunings would open things up for you.
VERY good playing! Far more than I could do with a flat pick.

In line with what HotRod is mentioning, there's an old saying: "The left hand is presents "what you know", the right hand presents "who you are". I have no doubt that all this will come together for you as you ramp things up!!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 03-08-2019, 09:38 PM
Get off my lawn kid

1st thing I noticed was that some of the chords up the neck at first you struggled with placement, so for that I would suggest putting your hand on your lap and then just grab the chord and strum it. If you're off on placement, it will show up, so just keep doing it. As you get better at grabbing the chord you can speed up a bit, then switch to the chord from another spot on the fretboard. That's all about muscle memory for a specific chord, something we all need to rehearse from time to time.

Secondly - where do you think you want to be as a player? Find tunes that you want to play and just practice them relentlessly. It may not be that you aren't where you want to be, you're just not playing the right stuff to show where you are, if that makes sense. In other words, the stuff you're playing doesn't push you/show your skill level.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-09-2019, 03:07 PM

Thank you all for the input.

Perhaps I did not phrase my desires correctly and ended up writing too much, however I was not looking for a critique of my playing specifically. Not that I couldn't use a critique as part of getting better, so thank you for those who were able to offer insight.

I was looking for websites, online courses, teachers, etc and anything else that you found helpful in your journey. This way I (or anyone else reading this thread) can improve for the next month or year, or more.

My major take-away from this thread so far is that I should decide what I want to get better at, and maybe that will help guide me towards which various instruction, courses, etc that I could use. I am going to watch that 30-day challenge as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write