The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-27-2019, 07:15 PM

I’m in the same boat with all of you. Funny story (at least to me) I go occasionally to a jam where all kinds o music is played. They wanted to learn Sounds of Silence. I sent out tab, and did not do the 9/11 Simon intro. When the song started off the timing was about 2X as fast as it should be. I could not even figure out the timing I thought am I the idiot or are they? Oh well good fun anyway. I’ll continue the way I like it although I do enjoy the 9/11 Paul Simon version. BTW, it sounds great on my new Alvarez Blues 51! Have fun no matter what.

Mike

Guitars:
A few, but on the hunt for the "one"
Old 02-27-2019, 07:38 PM

Funny, I guess I am the opposite of the OP. I appreciate songs more after trying to learn them.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:54 PM

I learned a bunch of Ryan Adams material because I really like his work and enjoy playing the songs.

Well... did. I will wait but suspect the allegations are true.

If so, well I have a huge hole in my rotation to fill.

Darn. Such time lost.
Gibson J-30
Walden CO500 (camper)
Fender FSR BSB Telecaster
Old 02-27-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
After I’ve done a song for a while I start to notice that the original artist doesn’t do it correctly.
Right you are !

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-27-2019, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
When I was making my living playing in bars there were certain crowd favorites that I basically HAD to play, and predictably enough I got sick of those songs. But I was professional enough to recognize that it was in my own best interest to continue playing them.

Then a funny thing happened: I got so I didn’t mind playing them, and then I got so I actually enjoyed them once again, not so much that their chord progressions fascinated me or anything, but because I started enjoying the delight that those songs brought to people in the audience.

My job was to entertain and, when possible, musically transport those audiences, and rather than resent them for liking songs I was tired of, I started getting a big kick out of it again. It was though those songs were part of a bag of tricks that made my job easier.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
YEAH that makes sense! That's what it's all about, right? Of course maybe that's the difference between an entertainer and a self indulgent hobbyist. Neither is right or wrong of course. But if you're entertaining yourself, you're the one that matters. If you're entertaining others, you're driven by their smiles, and. you will get a thrill from that (and some bucks).

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 02-27-2019, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

I used to learn songs that you did not hear very often on the radio. If the DJ's were playing the song, why learn it. Just turn on the radio if you want to hear it..

The arrival of streaming services caused my strategy to change, since I can add any obscure song to my play list and hear it every day. Now, I pick a song to learn and arrange it to how I want it to sound. One way to keep the learning interesting is to scale back a song performed by a large band to just guitar and vocals.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:04 PM

For most of my songs I try not to copy the originals. I'm often not in the same key, may be slower or faster and change the words or the music to suit. I still like to listen to many of the originals, however.

After reading all the posts in the thread "Songs you like to play real slow?" I have started slowing down a few of my songs and learned a few good new ones from that thread.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:13 PM

One of the things that I have done through the years, and especially in the last 10-15 years... I play with other people, fairly regularly.That brings many new and different songs to the table. Some that I never would have thought of playing. I still have my favorite songs, and sometimes will tire of them. But I'll just pull them out of the rotation for a time and work on something new. I'm guessing my husband gets tired of hearing songs over and over again!

Martin: D-28, 00-18V, Custom 000-21, D12-35
Guild: GF-60M
Martin C1K ukulele, Kala soprano ukulele
Kentucky mandolin
Old 02-28-2019, 04:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
After I’ve done a song for a while I start to notice that the original artist doesn’t do it correctly.
Yeah, me too.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:13 AM

'Play something we know!'. How many times have I heard that at a gig? Like Silly Moustache I won't copy a song slavishly; there's no point. Instead I'm quite happy to learn a tune and inject some of 'me' into it, rather than act like a human juke-box, playing the instantly and reassuringly familiar to unimaginative audiences. So long as the essence of a song remains, be it a hook or a melody, there's always room around it to be creative.

Last edited by AndrewG; 02-28-2019 at 05:28 AM.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
When I learn a song, I write down the lyrics, work out the progression, then I develop my own key, tempo, and arrangement. It doesn't need to sound like the original , in fact I prefer that it doesn't.

I remember staying with a well known Texas singer songwriter and remarking that he had a very cheap sound system and very few cds etc.

He told me that he didn't like to listen to other singer songwriters in case he was unconsciously influenced by or copied something.

I don't worry about that, but once I've worked out my version, I don't really want to hear the original again.
Yep, I normally want to "countrify" pretty much every song I learn just because.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
When I was making my living playing in bars there were certain crowd favorites that I basically HAD to play, and predictably enough I got sick of those songs. But I was professional enough to recognize that it was in my own best interest to continue playing them.

Then a funny thing happened: I got so I didn’t mind playing them, and then I got so I actually enjoyed them once again, not so much that their chord progressions fascinated me or anything, but because I started enjoying the delight that those songs brought to people in the audience.
When I was playing 5 hours a night, 6 nights a week "Tie a Yellow Ribbon" was a big hit. I sang it every night, sometimes twice.

I always try and give my best performance, but I can't say I ever got to the point where I enjoyed that song. I wish I had your perspective to consider at the time.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 02-28-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Hahaha! I thought that was only me that did that!

I get so many people telling me that when I do a cover, I make it my own.

I always tell them that I'm not good enough to play it the right way!
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 02-28-2019, 01:48 PM

I learned to play guitar because of the Eagles, Neil Young, Graham Parsons, the Dead and John Prine. Over the years I've migrated a little more to bluegrass and lesser-known Americana artists like Robert Earl Keen, Slaid Cleaves, Joe Pug and Jeffry Martin. I know over 300 songs and keep them rotating in my performance set list. The songs I get sick of are due to being played to death by everyone else. I can play these but choose not to, as I'd rather introduce you to something you haven't heard yet. I won't play:

Paradise or Angel from Montgomery by Prine
Wagon Wheel
Pretty much any of the Eagles hits. I will play Saturday Night or 21 though.
Heart of Gold
Folsom Prison
Truckin'
City of New Orleans
Hallelujah
Just about anything by the Beatles
Any of Dylan's hits

Basically if its on your standard singer-songwriter's or cover band setlist, or gets played on the radio with regularity I won't play it.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
Hahaha! I thought that was only me that did that!

I get so many people telling me that when I do a cover, I make it my own.

I always tell them that I'm not good enough to play it the right way!
So true. But who's to say what the right way is, unless you're playing in a tribute band. I really dont like tribute bands for this reason.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write