The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-25-2019, 10:52 AM

Default vibration and water

Old 02-25-2019, 11:18 AM

Default Cymatics

Amazing that the images have such a regularly distributed intricate pattern, so I looked for more information about what we're seeing.

Here are excerpts that I found interesting - apart from the unbelievable images that are actually generated with subtlety and beauty, -- seeing sound as it were.

"The CymaScope is a new type of scientific instrument that makes sound visible."

"In the 1970’s this branch of science was named ‘cymatics’ by Swiss doctor Hans Jenny, a word that derives from the Greek ‘kyma,’ meaning ‘wave’ and the inspiration for the name of our CymaScope instrument."

"If we sample a moment from music and analyze it in terms of its fundamental frequency and associated harmonics, and then apply that sample to, say, a circular latex membrane of known elasticity, known diameter and fixed edge, present mathematical techniques cannot predict what pattern will form on the membrane."

"Only the pattern associated with the fundamental frequency can be predicted with any degree of certainty. Thus, for example, the design of musical instruments remains an art rather than a science."

"Water is free to move at the circular boundary and across its entire surface area. In addition, water responds not only to its normal modes but to any audible frequency imposed on it. In other words, within the limits mentioned above, all the primary periodicities in a given audible sound or in a given sample of music are rendered visible."

"The resulting patterns can be considered as analogs of the sound or music since the geometry in the resulting patterns is a function of the periodicities within the exciting sound."

"Musical sounds contain many harmonics so when a circular membrane is excited by a complex musical sound the resulting modal pattern(s) are, naturally, also complex."

~~~

Now our inner ear - the cochlea, contains fluid, and the stereocilia convert these vibrations into nerve impulses which are taken to the brain to be interpreted.

So, we feel these images as sound.

The images are amazing. Sometimes reality is amazing.

By the way, I believe they are also using magnification, like a microscope to film the water surface and reveal the images more clearly.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Interesting stuff...

I first heard/saw something about these properties of water when I saw a movie entitled, "What The Bleep Do We Know".

In the film, a man named Masaru Emoto was highlighted for his incredible photography of water when given various "prompts"... I was so impressed by his work that I bought a book of his, "The True Power Of Water"...

Astonishing stuff... and it's all around us!

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 02-25-2019, 07:07 PM

Thumbs up yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Interesting stuff...

I first heard/saw something about these properties of water when I saw a movie entitled, "What The Bleep Do We Know".

In the film, a man named Masaru Emoto was highlighted for his incredible photography of water when given various "prompts"... I was so impressed by his work that I bought a book of his, "The True Power Of Water"...

Astonishing stuff... and it's all around us!

My wife really got into it. Like you said..."Astonishing stuff..."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic