The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-11-2018, 01:50 PM

Default Recording Software & Interface Suggestions

I have a Macbook Pro running Logic Express that I have used with an Apogee Duet (Firewire). I'm looking to upgrade the entire rig as the computer is about 10 years old.

Any suggestions on the PC side? There are so many options that it can be paralyzing.

I might get a new Macbook Pro with Logic Pro.

I have used the AKG c414 for years and have just purchased an Ear Trumpets Lab Edwina

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

If you go the new Mac route, strongly consider the Apogee Element Series.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

For a PC something like this would be fine and fairly future proof:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-pavi...?skuId=6221038

128GB SSD for system
1TB drive for the recordings
CPU is powerful
No graphics card (not needed and quieter without one)
Remove much of the HP bloatware and you are good to go.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 08-11-2018, 04:12 PM

There's little info in the request, so we're shooting in the dark somewhat. Budget? Expecations? Portability needed or not?

While the interface has a newer color palette and slightly different "look" transferring what you know from Logic Express to the current Logic X would likely be easier than learning other current programs. Even Garage Band might suffice (it's essentially taken the place of Logic Express, as the "lite" version of Logic).

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-11-2018, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
There's little info in the request, so we're shooting in the dark somewhat. Budget? Expecations? Portability needed or not?

While the interface has a newer color palette and slightly different "look" transferring what you know from Logic Express to the current Logic X would likely be easier than learning other current programs. Even Garage Band might suffice (it's essentially taken the place of Logic Express, as the "lite" version of Logic).
What he said. More info on what gear you have and what you want to go recording wise , would be helpful

Are you running out of CPU when recording or mixing ? What are the current computers specs ?

Is there something wrong with the Duet ? or Do you need more than two channels of simultaneous recording ?

Logic would be the logical software upgrade

PC's are a viable alternative and you get more strict specification bang for the buck at the lower to mid price points , but you get less software and less ease of integration. And definitely will have to get a new interface and you will have to change software

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 08-11-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer tunes View Post
I have a Macbook Pro running Logic Express that I have used with an Apogee Duet (Firewire). I'm looking to upgrade the entire rig as the computer is about 10 years old.

Any suggestions on the PC side? There are so many options that it can be paralyzing.

I might get a new Macbook Pro with Logic Pro.

I have used the AKG c414 for years and have just purchased an Ear Trumpets Lab Edwina

Thanks for your suggestions.

Without knowing a little more about your needs, budget, etc., this is just a very broad suggestion:

The C414 is a great mic. I'm going to assume you're recording guitars (I dunno...call it a hunch). Adding a small diaphragm condenser might be a nice way to go. A Neumann KM184 or an AKG C451 would both fit the bill nicely. There are less expensive options as well, but I don't know a lot about those. I can say that a friend of mine has a Rode NT5, and I hate it Very harsh top end.

As far as an interface, the UA Apollo interfaces seem nice. I use them at a couple studios I sometimes work at. I, myself, am a huge fan of Metric Halo interfaces. I would take a look at them, but I would hold off on buying one until they release the new 3d versions (I'm beta testing one right now - it's amazing). Also, a Focusrite Scarlett is also another option i hear good things about on the budget side.

I won't get into the computer thing. I will only say this: I've used both Macs & PCs, and in a former life managed an IT dept. in a marketing company that had both systems. I prefer Macs. You need to buy what works for you & fits in your budget. Especially if this is a personal creative outlet. It's very hard to justify a $5k iMac Pro unless there's some ROI.

Speaking of software - if you are familiar with Logic I would suggest staying with it unless you find it to be limiting you in some way or you find it objectionable. The industry standard is still Pro Tools, if that means anything to you. I also really like Digital Performer. It gets a lot less mention than the others, but I use it daily for audio work for big clients (like global companies kind of big). And it's the DAW of choice for a lot of TV & movie composers (Black Panther was scored in DP, as a recent example). So, take that for whatever it's worth. There are also many smaller players, and if compatibility isn't an issue (i.e. you won't need to bring a session to a commercial studio) then you can go with whatever DAW appeals to you.

HTH a little.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 08-12-2018, 07:51 AM

Thanks for the replies so far. I wanted to provide some more context for my process and requirements.

Bottom line is i'm a hobbyist that records guitar and vocal demos. Occasionally I build out a recording to include drums, bass, and an electric guitar. I will not be producing songs with > 10 tracks and I don't go to deep at all with the effects.

Budget is a concern but I have set aside cash to get some new gear so what is most important to me is getting a rig that works well without a lot of software config/set up. I'm most interested in writing and performing. Home recording is something that I want to do more of but have no interest in the technical aspect of it. I'm NOT interested in spending a lot of time to learn all of the deep capabilities of a DAW, I need something that I can use easily to record clean tracks, compatibility is a concern as I need to be able to export tracks, AIFF, or WAVE so that they can be ingested into other systems for post production. I plan to leave that to folks that specialize in that.

Portability is important because I like the flexibility of recording in different spaces (my dedicated basement room at home unfortunately is not conducive to "room sound" as it's a small, box shape, low ceilings, and bad carpet)

I am thinking about the new 15" macbook pro with i7/6 core/8th gen chips/ 16 gig ram/512 SSD drive - this rig is most definitely overkill for me but at least it will be good for 6-7 years. I may also do some light video editing on the side.

I have liked logic express with the apogee duet over the last several years.

For interface I am leaning towards the new apogee duet (thunderbolt) or the new UA apollo. Logic pro for software, new mac book pro.

If anyone wants an old apogee duet (firewire) that works perfectly let me know and we can discuss it. I'm also interested in selling my AKG c414 also mint as I'm going to try a different condenser mic with whatever my new rig ends up being.

Thanks again and looking forward to more insights.

Last edited by cheer tunes; 08-12-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:12 AM

Default Self built PC

Hello, I am new to this forum, so please forgive any snafus. I built my own PC for
mixing and editing. Specs: i7 processor, 32 gb ddr3, 1 tb drive, on board VIA HD audio chip and to take some load off of the cpu, a nvidia based graphics card with 5 gb gddr5. I am using an old DAW software called Cool Edit Pro 2 which has served my needs so far. I record with a Tascam DP-008EX and a Behringer Xenyx 1202FX. Any suggestions on a good DAW software that won't break the bank.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummingman View Post
Hello, I am new to this forum, so please forgive any snafus. I built my own PC for
mixing and editing. Specs: i7 processor, 32 gb ddr3, 1 tb drive, on board VIA HD audio chip and to take some load off of the cpu, a nvidia based graphics card with 5 gb gddr5. I am using an old DAW software called Cool Edit Pro 2 which has served my needs so far. I record with a Tascam DP-008EX and a Behringer Xenyx 1202FX. Any suggestions on a good DAW software that won't break the bank.
As you're on PC I would recommend either Cakewalk by BandLab or Tracktion 7, both are very powerful DAWs recently made available for free. These are not crippled versions in anyway. Cakewalk comes with a great selection of their propriety ProChannel modules (effects).
Another route is to get a cheap Reaper ($60) which has many fans.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:14 AM

Logic Pro is worth the upgrade.
Martin J40
Old 08-17-2018, 11:49 AM

Default Daw

Thanks for the info. I will check these out. I just recorded an instrumental yesterday using My 2 guitars, mandolin, and a track I created in Hydrogen for the drums. I use a Yamaha keyboard to create my bass track. Sometimes Cool Edit Pro acts a little strange. I am using Windows 7 Pro. and the software was originally written for Windows 98. So you can see where I am at technology wise. Need to upgrade.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

I have a macbook pro and I'm using it with Logic. I just bought a Focusrite Clarett 4pre. They also make a 2 pre. https://us.focusrite.com/clarett-range
I got a thunderbolt. They also have a USB version. I just got it today so I can't give a first hand review, but after considering many audio interfaces, this is one that I got.
Good luck!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 08-19-2018, 03:00 PM

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I ended up going with the following for my new rig:
  • Mac book pro
  • Logic pro X
  • Ear trumpets lab large diaphragm condenser mic

I'm leaning towards an Apogee Element 24 then I'll be good to go.

I had to sell a collings to finance all of this but it was worth it.
I have an AKG C414B (mint with metal case and all documentation) to sell now.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I ended up going with the following for my new rig:
  • Mac book pro
  • Logic pro X
  • Ear trumpets lab large diaphragm condenser mic

I'm leaning towards an Apogee Element 24 then I'll be good to go.

I had to sell a collings to finance all of this but it was worth it.
The Apogee Element 24 is a superb choice. If you haven't done so already, call the folks at Apogee to discuss the improvements in the Element Series (compared to the older Duet and Quartet designs) and the use of Apogee's Ensemble II and Symphony designs in the Element. Also, the software control is quite nice and the integration with Logic is a plus.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
What version (B/ULS, XLII, XLS)?

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD