The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-08-2018, 01:31 AM

Default Lame Horse Guitars - Holy Grail Guitar Show 2018

Hello everyone,

I just uploaded this video from my performance for Lame Horse Guitars (Texas USA) on one of their amazing Saddlepal models. I hope you enjoy it!

This guitar was part of the show's "Local Woods Challenge" and was inspired by the story of The Alamo. You can read more about the inspiration here

I've been demonstrating the work of Lame Horse Guitars since 2009 and this guitar is one of their best yet. It's a truly beautiful instrument.

MDW
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:38 AM

Amazing! Michael, you make everything sound like the Sistine Chapel ceiling, but the refined sound of this little instrument certainly belies its name. Just gorgeous.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:43 AM

Default Lovely!

Lovely instrument! Keep up the good work, Chris!
Collings SJ Braz/Ger, 000-42Koa, UC3 Killer Koa
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson
Old 08-08-2018, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Michael, off point I know, but, do you play fingertip flesh only, or do you employ you fingernails as well?

Steve
Old 08-08-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
Amazing! Michael, you make everything sound like the Sistine Chapel ceiling, but the refined sound of this little instrument certainly belies its name. Just gorgeous.
That's very kind of you! Of course, it has to be in the guitar in the first place for me to find it and with Lame Horse Guitars that's never an issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuckerRE View Post
Lovely instrument! Keep up the good work, Chris!
Thanks for watching Chris!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
Michael, off point I know, but, do you play fingertip flesh only, or do you employ you fingernails as well?

Steve
Thanks for watching Steve, I use short, natural polished nails (buffed, no added stuff) and I shape them like a flamenco player with a reverse ramp on the ring finger.
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Old 08-08-2018, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

I might have missed it, but what woods were used on this guitar? Wonderful sounding guitar, I can understand why you are fascinated by it. Enjoyed that version of Vetiver.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virob View Post
I might have missed it, but what woods were used on this guitar? Wonderful sounding guitar, I can understand why you are fascinated by it. Enjoyed that version of Vetiver.
Thanks Virob! I'm not sure what the woods were, I'll ask Chris and Jeremy and get back to you!

MDW
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Old 08-10-2018, 04:58 AM

back and sides - box elder; top - Engelmann spruce; fingerboard, binding, access panel cover - Texas ebony; neck -Canadian maple; bridge honey mesquite.

https://lamehorse.net/available-instruments

The Engelmann and the Canadian maple are kind of surprising, but Texas is a big state with some suitable habitat. The big surprise for me is the box elder: I've always thought of that as a trash tree, like hackberries.

Last edited by SJ VanSandt; 08-10-2018 at 05:04 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

I looked up box elder and it is a type of maple and a common tree in Texas. It looks very different than the maple I’m used to, and I find it quite attractive. Listening to Michael’s playing my first thought was that it sounds a lot like maple, but I wasn’t sure if I was being biased by the light colour. Hope to see more guitars like this one.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:17 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Beautifully done Michael. Always a pleasure to hear your playing. I was able to audition one of those at the Artisan a couple years ago. Fun little guitar. I ended up purchasing one of their Gitjo’s. Fun to play and adds some interesting flavor to our guitar jams. Jason is starting an MDW for me shortly. Now there’s one I’m really looking forward to.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:16 AM

Default Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Beautifully done Michael. Always a pleasure to hear your playing. I was able to audition one of those at the Artisan a couple years ago. Fun little guitar. I ended up purchasing one of their Gitjo’s. Fun to play and adds some interesting flavor to our guitar jams. Jason is starting an MDW for me shortly. Now there’s one I’m really looking forward to.
I, too, “ended up purchasing one of their Gitjo’s” in stunning purple, no less!
Collings SJ Braz/Ger, 000-42Koa, UC3 Killer Koa
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson
Old 08-10-2018, 11:51 AM

OK, add me to the mix, I have a Lame Horse Saddle Pal myself, from Woodstock 2 years ago, stunning rosette. No one has mentioned there easy easy do it yourself neck adjustment yet either!
Old 08-10-2018, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Wow! Beautiful guitar and beautiful playing!
Thanks for posting.

1959 Gibson Country Western
2017 Conner Spruce / Bubinga
1997 Taylor 810
1990 Fender American Strat
2019 Gibson Les Paul 1959 Historic
2023 Martin D-18 Custom Shop
Old 08-11-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virob View Post
I looked up box elder and it is a type of maple and a common tree in Texas. It looks very different than the maple I’m used to, and I find it quite attractive. Listening to Michael’s playing my first thought was that it sounds a lot like maple, but I wasn’t sure if I was being biased by the light colour. Hope to see more guitars like this one.
Box Elder! That's the one. It's funny, the visuals can mislead. I wouldn't say Maple per se, there were some Blackwood tendencies going on there too but really the voice is all Lame Hose, it's amazing what they can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Thank you! Those gitjos are an almost illegal amount of fun. I like playing Greek music in DADGAD on them... but that's just me!

Congratulations on the MDW, I look forward to seeing it! I'd recommend pairing it with a Partagas Serie P no2 for an evening of music and concentration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuckerRE View Post
I, too, “ended up purchasing one of their Gitjo’s” in stunning purple, no less!
A purple Gitjo?! That's probably the coolest thing I ever heard of. Please post pics immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
OK, add me to the mix, I have a Lame Horse Saddle Pal myself, from Woodstock 2 years ago, stunning rosette. No one has mentioned there easy easy do it yourself neck adjustment yet either!
Good man! And yes, you're absolutely right, the fully adjustable neck, even under full tension is a total game-changer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumming View Post
Wow! Beautiful guitar and beautiful playing!
Thanks for posting.
You're very welcome! Thank you for watching.
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Old 08-11-2018, 10:18 AM

Very nice guitar and very nice playing, Michael. I envy anyone who can play like that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop