The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-04-2018, 09:45 AM

Default Rainsong CO-WS1000 vs Emerald X10 vs McPherson Sable...?

Has anyone played them? How do they compare in terms of how they sound?
Old 08-04-2018, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

The Emerald X10 is a new model, and we're all waiting to hear about one "in the wild"... and by "all," I mean those of us who are Emerald fans.

The X10 is smaller than the X20... and I'm kinda thinking the X20 will be a better comparison with the CO-WS1000 and the Sable. Well, that and the fact that plenty of folks have heard an X20.

We all have different tastes, but here's the order I'd put them in for pleasing my ears:

1. X20
2. Sable
3. CO-WS1000

I have plenty of time with an X20, just a "try it out" time with the Sable and the RainSong. Others will probably have differing opinions. Interestingly enough (again, to me), I'd put them in the same order for comfort/playability.

A one-word description:

X20 - rich
Sable - warm
CO-WS1000 - crisp

Each is a fine guitar, but all three are very different.

When I get my hands on an X10, I will be sure to post a detailed update/comparison.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:22 PM

Thank you, and I look forward to your X10 comparison
Old 08-06-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post

X20 - rich
Sable - warm
CO-WS1000 - crisp

:
I think you are right on ...
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-06-2018, 09:00 AM
Guest 928

I've been alternating between the Rainsong Parlor nylon and the X10-OSN nylon, and having a hard time deciding which I would keep if I had to settle on one. So far I haven't decided. They have been my favorite acoustic CF instruments.

Sometime in the future, whenever Alistair completes the X10-OSN, thin-bodied electric, I will be alternating between the X7 electric and the X10 electric.

And then I will be deciding on the best of the four guitars and hopefully get myself down to one guitar.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I've been alternating between the Rainsong Parlor nylon and the X10-OSN nylon, and having a hard time deciding which I would keep if I had to settle on one. So far I haven't decided. They have been my favorite acoustic CF instruments.

Sometime in the future, whenever Alistair completes the X10-OSN, thin-bodied electric, I will be alternating between the X7 electric and the X10 electric.

And then I will be deciding on the best of the four guitars and hopefully get myself down to one guitar.
Hi Evan.. I love your optimism on trying to get down to the "one". We have discussed this journey a number of times over the years and the best I have been able to do is sell all CFs and get down to the "ones" Blackbird Captain & Savoy.... but do not look to close as I have a Farallon due this month with a sound hole binding so they all look the same. "ONE" happy family. Does this count??? As always .. I look forward to your adventures to the "one"
Old 08-06-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
A one-word description:
X20 - rich
Sable - warm
CO-WS1000 - crisp
Each is a fine guitar, but all three are very different.
I agree completely with this description, speaking as a long time Rainsong owner and a recent X20 owner. Disclosure: I have almost zero experience with the Sable, but I either own or have played the others on the CF market.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:48 PM

In a quick 3-4 months I'll be able to do a Sable vs. X20 playoff!
Old 08-14-2018, 04:33 AM

Having both around here somewhere I'd say it may take years... but all fun.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber