The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-18-2018, 03:00 PM

Thanks for the invite. I'll keep it in mind if I'm ever out your way Ina couple of years. Lol. The other drag about being a lefty for a luthier is not being able to really compare my guitars to other hand mares. Oh well. Russ
Old 08-21-2018, 08:50 PM

I was hoping to read more favourite lists from the luthiers on this forum...
Old 08-21-2018, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
Nobody want's to play favorites.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:41 PM

Well, if we are talking active current builders:

Howard Klepper
James Olson
David LaPlante

If we're talking no longer building:

Lloyd Baggs
Ren Ferguson

And if we are talking dead:

D'Angelico
Bob Givens
Ernie Drumheller
Old 08-23-2018, 04:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

As little as twenty years ago I might have played this game, but it is easy to see trouble on the path . . . Again. Won’t play for the same reason as I won’t name my three least favorite Luthiers. We have the most wonderful community, we Luthiers, and I would not like to do it any damage.
Old 08-24-2018, 03:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Many of the luthiers I know don't actively post on the forums. While they may check in with them occasionally, they either spend their time in other ways, and/or, as Bruce suggests, they don't want to be drawn into potentially awkward exchanges.

Guitars:'07 Circa OM, '09 Bashkin 00-12fret, '10 Circa 00 12-fret, '17 Buendia Jumbo, '17 Robbins R.1, '19 Doerr Legacy Select, '12 Collings 000-28H Koa. Pre-War guitars: '20 0-28, '22 00-28, '22 000-28. Mandolins: '09 Heiden Heritage F5, '08 Poe F5 , 1919 Gibson F-4, '80 Monteleone Grand Artist mandolin, '83 Monteleone GA (oval),'85 Sobell cittern.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
As little as twenty years ago I might have played this game, but it is easy to see trouble on the path . . . Again. Won’t play for the same reason as I won’t name my three least favorite Luthiers. We have the most wonderful community, we Luthiers, and I would not like to do it any damage.
This was the first thing I thought of when I saw the original post. I would never do that in my own line of work, and most certainly not publicly, and most certainly not to an audience of that same line of work.

I think the intention was nice but I'm sure most would like to avoid the possible landmines associated with topics like this.
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 08-27-2018, 10:36 AM

I recall a thread on agf a lot younger than 20nyears ago which had a fair number of luthiers posting on it. It would have been nice to have an updated version of that thread today.

I cannot.really see how praising some people you admire and look up to in your profession is in any way derogatory towards those whom you don't mention.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I recall a thread on agf a lot younger than 20nyears ago which had a fair number of luthiers posting on it. It would have been nice to have an updated version of that thread today.

I cannot.really see how praising some people you admire and look up to in your profession is in any way derogatory towards those whom you don't mention.
I think most luthiers would see it as harmless. Some won't feel comfortable with it, but doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Social media has changed the game - and 20 years ago the market was extremely different. I certainly understand why most luthiers would not want to name names in this situation - little to gain, much to potentially lose. Same reasons a fair number of really good luthiers have chosen to minimize their participation here -
Old 08-27-2018, 02:00 PM

Thanks for the answers so far, and my apologies to those who felt uncomfortable with this thread, that was not my intention. As has been said, it was meant to be harmless, just for curiosity. For me, personally, it has been very interesting so far as some names have popped up that I had not heard of before. Anyway, no one should feel offended just for not being mentioned. But I'm not a luthier, so my perspective is not the same, and maybe I should have taken that into consideration.
All the best, and my apologies again
Old 08-28-2018, 06:40 AM

I dont think you have anything to apologise for. Your thread was totally valid and just as doctors and lawyers and engineers and psychitrists regularly recommend and personally refer or even use the services of those they consider eminent in their field, there shouldn't be any reason why any luthier should feel unable to name any other luthier he admires enough to order one of their guitars if he were in the market to buy one.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:41 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
When I asked Burton this question in private, he said:

1) My early career
2) The middle of my career
3) My current work
rotfl! This is the perfect virtual burn! Spitting my coffee out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop