The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 03:40 PM

Thanks for chiming in, Jim. I suspect the issue is specific to the Boss unit. For now I think I'll just bypass the interface and go direct to the Spire. I'll multitrack the vocals, probably sound more natural anyway.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Wild Night...

Big party to get the weekend started? Umm, no.

It has been a while since Mark and I recorded anything. He has been working on projects with LogicPro and I have done more video with the "stayin' at home" stuff on YouTube. A few days ago, I sent him my tracks for the Van Morrison song Wild Night. He added his and sent them to me this afternoon.

Old school rock 'n roll.

Mark on guitar, keyboard, sax synth; me on guitar, bass, drums, and vocals.

Recorded with Spire Studio...

Old 06-13-2020, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

This song is another Mark and Jim collaboration with the Spire Studio: it started life with me doing the chords and rhythm. Mark added lyrics and melody. We worked together on my more lyrics and timing. When it was time to start the recording process, I put down a scratch track, then bass and drums, then an acoustic guitar track, and vocals. Sent those tracks to Mark where he added piano, organ, electric guitar and horns (synth). We each worked on the mix.

Mark describes it as "a nice little take-your-mind-off-things summer love song." I liked the easy listening "old timey feel to it."

My wife said, "I like it - but it isn't your usual style." I think that was a compliment.

Old 07-18-2020, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

It has been a while since Mark and I did a new song. My wife and I have been out for just over a month now in our motorhome... it's a great way to be able to travel and still socially distance. Not so great as a recording studio.

This song is all from my music partner, Mark Lamkin - Mark wrote the words and music, played two electric guitar parts, two keyboard parts, drums, bass, background vocals, and did the mix and mastering. I did the lead vocal and acoustic guitar. (slacker)

This one started life with the Spire Studio, and as it became obvious we were going to need more than 8 tracks, Mark moved the tracks to LogicPro for the final result.

Here is our latest song: Know Somebody...

Old 07-20-2020, 04:03 AM

Default Lord won’t you help me, Norman Blake

Recently a dear friend gifted me with a 1979 CF Martin Vega banjo. One of the last run of 80 that left the factory while owned Bega from 1970-79. Thought I’d give this Norman chestnut a shot. 00028 Martin, and a Furch mandolin as well
Peace to all
Rick
https://soundcloud.com/rickrn/lord-wont-you-help-me
Old 07-20-2020, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin1884 View Post
Recently a dear friend gifted me with a 1979 CF Martin Vega banjo. One of the last run of 80 that left the factory while owned Bega from 1970-79. Thought I’d give this Norman chestnut a shot. 00028 Martin, and a Furch mandolin as well
Peace to all
Rick
Very nice! Do you do all the parts? A couple years in with the Spire, and I still enjoy the capabilities.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:27 AM

Default Hey Jim

I do indeed. Guitar, mandolin, and banjo as well as the vocal, and even the HamBone percussion. I'm a couple years in myself. Your posts were kinda what persuaded me to take the leap. Have been very pleased with Spire. The wife and I live in a 55 and over apartment, and have some space limitations so it has been perfect for what I do.
All the best to you
Rick Benjamin
Old 07-20-2020, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Peace to all
Rick
You have an amazing feel for old timey stuff, and/or you make other stuff sound that way. Always a pleasure to hear your recordings...

-Ray
Old 07-20-2020, 10:59 AM

Default thank you

Thanks Ray thats my wheelhouse. I like living there. I learned to play 40 odd years ago and the gent who taught me was that kind of guitar player. Now that has expanded to Mandolin and Banjo too.
Best to you
Rick Benjamin
Old 07-25-2020, 07:02 PM

Default Hot Rize, Western Skies

Well had to give it a shot, great tune tough to play.
Hope you like
Rick
https://soundcloud.com/rickrn/western-skies
Old 07-26-2020, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well had to give it a shot, great tune tough to play.
Hope you like
Rick
https://soundcloud.com/rickrn/western-skies
Nicely done!
Old 07-29-2020, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Just got a "honey" alert that the price is back down to $249.....tempted!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075CSHLYH?th=1&psc=1
Old 07-29-2020, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Just got a "honey" alert that the price is back down to $249.....tempted!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075CSHLYH?th=1&psc=1
I clicked on the link: back to $299. Did you get it ordered in time?

I got a Yamaha 12 channel mixer on a Stupid Deal of the Day - got it late yesterday. I ran a mic and guitar through that and into the Spire Studio today to record a couple tracks to send to my music partner... nice sound. Truth be told, I wanted to play with the mixer, but I am still 100% sold on the Spire.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I clicked on the link: back to $299. Did you get it ordered in time? .
No, I missed it. It did say only one left at that price. I’ve got a perfectly good zoom so it’s kind a hard for me to pull the trigger…
Old 07-30-2020, 05:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
No, I missed it. It did say only one left at that price. I’ve got a perfectly good zoom so it’s kind a hard for me to pull the trigger…
Hey Bob,

As much as I like the Spire, it's primary selling point is ease of use. It's the only thing I've used that competes with my old Fostex 4-track from the '80s for not confounding my feeble mind. But if you already have a Zoom 8-track and you're comfortable using it, the Spire isn't gonna add much. And it gives up some power (particularly in the mixing and for punch in / punch out) for that easy operation - features you're probably already using on your Zoom and would probably miss if you didn't have them.

I strongly recommend the Spire for folks who are cowed by modern DAW interfaces or other modern gear, but if you're OK with what you've got, it's probably a downgrade, so there's no real compelling reason to buy one...

-Ray

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD