The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-05-2016, 11:25 AM

Default How to raise one string at the nut

Last edited by Tico; 04-22-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:30 AM

Baking soda and thin CA glue (aka krazy glue, super glue) . Tape around the patient, fill the slot with the baking soda and saturate with the glue. Dries in about a second (baking soda is an accelerant for CA glue), then you get the tape off quick, clean it up and recut the slot. Lasts a long time but not forever. In other words its a fix, not a repair. A repair would either be to shim up the nut and recut all the other slots, or make a new nut.

Brian
Old 04-05-2016, 11:30 AM
AGF Sponsor

The Guild may very well be bone, but no matter. You need some watery Crazy Glue and some baking powder.
If you go to Frank Ford's website, Frets.com, you'll find a tutorial. It's easy stuff with a little bit of carefulness.
HE
Old 04-05-2016, 11:34 AM

Default Raising a nut slot

CA and some of the same material finely sanded, you won't need much.

I would certainly suggest removing the nut if this is the first time you've tried something like this.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Old 04-05-2016, 11:46 AM

Or, do like Ritchie Blackmore and drive a nail up under it to lift it. One of the early white Strats you could see the torn up wood up there from him doing that!

rct
Old 04-05-2016, 12:03 PM

Last edited by Tico; 04-22-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:07 PM

How do you safely remove the nut?
Old 04-05-2016, 12:29 PM

Default Removing nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
How do you safely remove the nut?
Boy could this go sideways in a hurry! :-)

Some nuts are just held in place by the tension of the strings. Other nuts are held in place with just a dab of white glue.

A light tap with the small hammer should be enough to remove it.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

The better repair is to cut a v-notch into the face of the nut, glue in a patch from a bit of that ivory you have, and then file a new string slot. Bruce Sexauer showed me that technique, and when done, you have a nut that will be fine for many decades longer than the baking soda will hold up, and doesn't really take any longer to do -
Old 04-05-2016, 12:35 PM

What I've done that works just fine (but is hardly a permanent fix) is to snip a very short piece of a high E string and lay it in the slot. I have a Gibson CS365 with that problem on the A string, I did that to get by pending a trip to the repair shop for a new nut.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:53 PM

From Stewmac - the principle is the same

http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online...king_soda.html
Old 04-05-2016, 01:32 PM

Last edited by Tico; 04-22-2016 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:49 PM

On the old guitar, I recommend going to someone that has experience. If you really want to it yourself the super glue fix can work with a couple of cautions:

Water thin super glue goes everywhere. Put any more than a tiny drop on your nut slot and it will wind up running down the side of the neck messing up the lacquer as it goes. And gluing the nut in the slot so it becomes much harder to remove later.

It is very easy to cut a nut slot incorrectly. Wrong shape, wrong width, wrong angle, too deep. Any of these things can give you a string with poor performance. It would be a good idea to research to select the best tool to re-cut a nut slot. Odds are pretty good you don't have that tool laying around.

If you decide to remove the nut for repair, it may be surprisingly easy to break it. And it may be easy to pull lacquer up with it.

I have done a baking soda, super glue nut slot repair with success on a polyurethane finish guitar and I would not try it on an old instrument with a lacquer finish. On modern polyurethane and polyester finishes you can remove excess super glue with solvents. The risk of finish damage is lower.

So be careful.

hunter
Old 04-05-2016, 01:56 PM

Last edited by Tico; 04-22-2016 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:10 PM

Based on having just done this to one of my guitars by a good luthier shop -- four luthiers who get together and agree on a solution -- their answer was to remove the nut, raise it the amount needed for the string that was too low, and then file the slots appropriately. They thought the existing nut was done well (it's a Santa Cruz guitar), so no need to make a new nut.

The nut was raised about .004 in. with thick paper. I was very skeptical of this, but after this was done, along with a partial fret job and some sanding of the bridge, the guitar sounds great.

They didn't want to do the super glue thing because they thought it a temporary solution -- but then they've got a different perspective on how long the fix is supposed to last.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair