The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-01-2023, 11:53 AM

Default Arranging Fingerstyle Guitar

Lately I have taken fingerstyle playing more serious and putting a lot of effort into it. I have acquired quite a few courses from Truefire and Jamplay. In addition I have been learning songs from SixString Fingerpicking. Mainly with the courses i am working through it's all about right hand exercises and that is good and I actually enjoy it. I really only work on one song at a time because I hate playing from tab so i memorize them and it takes a bit of time. I guess doing all the right hand exercises and working on songs is the way to go about it?

I would really love to learn how to arrange my own songs. Does anyone know of a good resource to do that? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-01-2023, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskyman View Post
Lately I have taken fingerstyle playing more serious and putting a lot of effort into it. I have acquired quite a few courses from Truefire and Jamplay. In addition I have been learning songs from SixString Fingerpicking. Mainly with the courses i am working through it's all about right hand exercises and that is good and I actually enjoy it. I really only work on one song at a time because I hate playing from tab so i memorize them and it takes a bit of time. I guess doing all the right hand exercises and working on songs is the way to go about it?

I would really love to learn how to arrange my own songs. Does anyone know of a good resource to do that? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Are you able to find the melody to familiar tunes by ear? That's the way to start. If you can do that quite easily then your ready to move on to the next stage. If not then keep at it.
Old 05-01-2023, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Learn the melody and harmony (chords) to the song to the point you can sing it to yourself. Once that is accomplished, play it the way you want it to sound. That might be hard to put into words but I've been doing it for 50+ years and it's second nature to me, plus, I rarely play anything the same way twice - that's why I don't learn other people's arrangements - I don't want to be locked in to someone else's ideas. It's OK to use the sheet music (I hate TAB) to get it under your belt, but, from there on, make it your own. You'll eventually get to the point where you can hear something and pretty much play it. A good example is Darcy's Guitar by Pete Huttlinger - great tune and pretty easy to play once you get the alternating bass down. I listened to it a couple times and got the progression pretty much down. When I start working on it, I'm guessing it'll take me a couple hours to get it to performance level; will it be exactly like the recording? No, it won't - I might take a shortcut or two or change some fingerings or chord inversions but it will, substantially be the same tune with my fingerprints on it. Make YOUR arrangement not someone else's and the more you do it, the better you'll become at doing it. As always, YMMV.
Old 05-01-2023, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

If youre on Truefire take a look at Richard Gilewitz's page. His fingerstyle technique is superb. If interested in private lessons I can put you in touch and he can really help you clean up your technique and arrangements.

2020 Brad Goodman J185
1992 Taylor (DCSM)Dan Crary Signature Model

Old 05-02-2023, 03:41 PM

Thanks everyone. Some good advice here.

I am going to try a really simple arrangement and see how it goes.
Old 05-02-2023, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

Hey Husky,

I would suggest you get the book “Concepts: Arranging for Fingerstyle Guitar” by Howard Morgan. He teaches actual arranging with (mostly) familiar tunes.
It’s definitely worth your time, and you can play examples to further your understanding of the process.

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 05-03-2023, 09:10 AM

Hi Huskyman,
If you enjoy Truefires style , check out this arranging course from Pete Huttlinger. One of the all time greats. It might even be on sale for $5 !
https://truefire.com/acoustic-guitar...e-arranger/c25
Cheers
Old 05-08-2023, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele1111 View Post
Hey Husky,

I would suggest you get the book “Concepts: Arranging for Fingerstyle Guitar” by Howard Morgan. He teaches actual arranging with (mostly) familiar tunes.
It’s definitely worth your time, and you can play examples to further your understanding of the process.

Mark
Thank you . Will check it out.
Old 05-08-2023, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker99 View Post
Hi Huskyman,
If you enjoy Truefires style , check out this arranging course from Pete Huttlinger. One of the all time greats. It might even be on sale for $5 !
https://truefire.com/acoustic-guitar...e-arranger/c25
Cheers
Have a membership there so going to look now. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2023, 12:09 PM

@Skip Ellis already committed a supportive answer.

I am in the process of learning to work my own arrangements.

There are many books and DVDs addressing this topic.

Happy Traum instruct to start with the chords, work the bass and play the melody
in the trebles : You usually find the melody in the chord or in the scale the chord comes from.

Then you may want to add something more with the mids.
One way would be to play arpeggios of the chords.

Going further brings you to faster fingering and chords change (think of jazz players).

By the way, Mark Henson’s new DVD is helping.

Overall, it is a complex world that needs time and trials. Never give up !

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write