The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-13-2023, 02:14 PM

Default Flatpicking a 12 string - tips/materials?

I'm returning to guitar after a long layoff, and I want to do it on a 12 string in DADGAD. I like that tuning, and lots of the tunes I know (mostly UK/Irish folk) appear to suit chordal accompaniments in it.

I'd like to be able to flatpick some of the tunes too, and that's the source of my question. One issue with flatpicking a 12 is that the top two courses of strings are in unison and courses 3-6 are in octaves. So, if you can't play your tune on courses 3-6, the tonal quality changes if you use courses 1 and 2. However couirse 6 tuning is often a bit dubious up the neck, maybe due to the big difference in the string sizes in that pair?

So - any tips, or pointers to useful material on flatpicking a 12 would be appreciated.

Thanks, Max
Old 04-13-2023, 09:37 PM

One solution to consider is more unison pairs. Leadbelly I think played with a unison "G string" course and tuned down. Steve Tibbetts uses more unison courses than that. I have one old 12-string tuned with unison D and G (and unison B and high E as normal) but down-tuned one full step.

You still get the chorusing effect of the 12 string with unison strings. Like you notice, this avoids the weird "octave jumping out/all of sudden appearing" when you run into the G string when playing patterns as you would on a 6 string.

Here's that guitar as an example of what more unison strings can sound like:

Prologue to the Canterbury Tales on my old Cortez 12-string

Another solution is to just change on what strings you play on so that the weird jump to octaves doesn't occur where it bugs you.

I'm nutty about picks, and after years I still find no pattern on what I'll use when playing my 12-strings. I will use lighter picks than I use on a 6 string sometimes, but other times I'll use a thicker rounded pick. The only guidance I'll give is that you might like a different pick that you've used on 6 strings.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 04-14-2023, 04:21 AM

Thanks Frank. One problem with moving the tune to where it works on 12 string is that the tunes I have in mind are nearly always played in one key by other musicians at informal gatherings. A unison G pair is something I've considered doing in the past but not yet tried. What do you use, 2 x unwound 18s or maybe W20 PL18, both tuned to the lower octave pitch?
Old 04-14-2023, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxr View Post
Thanks Frank. One problem with moving the tune to where it works on 12 string is that the tunes I have in mind are nearly always played in one key by other musicians at informal gatherings.
You have a capo?
Old 04-14-2023, 04:47 AM

Quote:
12 string in DADGAD.
These are not flat-picking, but qualify as above in case you're interested. One very easy, one not so much ...

There's some debate about the last one (6 or 12?), but if you want to try it on 12: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1paxOLiSy-g
Old 04-14-2023, 05:24 AM

Thanks Jon:

Good point about a capo - except... I gather one way to set about playing a 12 (or a 6) in DADGAD is to learn a good selection of non capo mostly open 2-3 finger D related chords, then capo to whatever key is required. So, we're maybe flatpicking a tune in A with a capo on the 7th fret (is that correct). Oh well, I suppose if I wanted it easier I'd have stuck with a tenor guitar in Irish tuning that plays tunes like a fiddle Thanks for the Bert Janch clips, excellent stuff.
Old 04-16-2023, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Thanks Frank. One problem with moving the tune to where it works on 12 string is that the tunes I have in mind are nearly always played in one key by other musicians at informal gatherings. A unison G pair is something I've considered doing in the past but not yet tried. What do you use, 2 x unwound 18s or maybe W20 PL18, both tuned to the lower octave pitch?
Two pair of the "regular" not octave strings. I use two set/packs of 12-string strings to get the extra unison pairs -- because I'm too lazy to order a custom set or keep single strings around. By tuning down a whole step I keep the tension from getting ridiculous. The old 12-string I'm using has a zero fret so I can have wider nut slots, which makes it ideal for this kind of experiment.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 04-20-2023, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

I find that using a dark sounding flat pick works best on a 12-string. It helps minimize the jangle aspect.

- Glenn
Old 04-24-2023, 08:07 PM

Here is one of my favorite still living singer/songwriters playing three songs on a 12 string. I don't know much about different tunings but it appears the first and third songs are alternate tunings while the second is standard, I believe. Not sure much of these are considered flatpicking although the third song seems closer than the other two. Either way, enjoy!

Old 04-26-2023, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I find that using a dark sounding flat pick works best on a 12-string. It helps minimize the jangle aspect.

- Glenn
I've been using a Dunlop Gator pick on 12 string lately - they darken up the sound and are easy to hold on to.

D.H.
Old 05-01-2023, 02:19 PM

A couple of flat picked 12-string favorites of mine--Glen Campbell, from his 1964 album "The Astounding 12-String Guitar of Glen Campbell." "This Land Is Your Land" and "Walkin' Down The Line."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write