The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-20-2022, 11:45 AM

Default Amateur Radio Operators

After doing a search, I see there are amateur radio operators in this group but I don't see any big discussions. I'm in the US and got a General license a few months ago but I don't really know what to do with it yet. Plus, it's a lot of money to get into HF.

I only have the ubiquitous cheap handheld that I listen to while driving. I have all the local repeaters programmed and have talked to one or two people on them so I know they're set up correct. I paid the dues to join the local club and support the repeater but they meet at a time where I can't go so I've never actually met any of them. With my mag mount antenna, I generally don't here anyone other than the ISS repeater when it goes over.

What are your favorite aspects of the hobby? How do you participate?
Old 09-20-2022, 12:51 PM

WA1ISD here.I’ve been a ham since the age of 13. 56 years! As a 16 year old I had the dream job of working in the ARRL lab as a summer helper and tour guide. I really miss building electronic circuits, but in my retirement, I find that rehabbing old guitars is equally challenging. About fifteen years ago, I really got into the digital modes and was amazed at what could be done with 1 watt into a dipole hanging out the window as a sagging V antenna.

Every once and a while I’ve been tempted to fire up the rig, but inevitably, it would require a bunch of new accessories that I really don’t feel like purchasing just now If AGFers think that “guitar GAS” is a dangerous disease, I’ll venture forth that they’ve never experienced the GAS world of ham radio.

My favorite aspect of the hobby was always the tweaking and the tinkering. As mentioned, guitars fulfill the same need.

All best es 73’s

Rick
Old 09-20-2022, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Oh boy, every time I see a ham post I get nostalgic. I got my "advanced" license when I was 13 (54 years ago. Oy vey). Unfortunately I let it lapse and would have to go through the whole process again to get my license back. My call letters were WA2IFV. I'm not sure I could pass the exams these days.

So much fun! I remember when I was a kid (13, 14) I used to talk with people all over the world and we'd send "QSL" cards (postcards) to document our discussions. I was an expert at morse code. I still remember code. I used to use 10 meters and 15 meters for international communication.

I'm sure ham radio has changed since I was in the game. My rig was tube based (Drake). You could always buy used. Check out the Drake R4B and the associated transmitter - T4XB I think. I will never forget the day that my father came home with a full ham kit for me in the trunk of his Buick Electra.

I'll keep my eyes on this post.

Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Fairbanks F20
Rainsong CO-OM1100NST
Old 09-20-2022, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-arino View Post
Oh boy, every time I see a ham post I get nostalgic. I got my "advanced" license when I was 13 (54 years ago. Oy vey). Unfortunately I let it lapse and would have to go through the whole process again to get my license back. My call letters were WA2IFV. I'm not sure I could pass the exams these days.

So much fun! I remember when I was a kid (13, 14) I used to talk with people all over the world and we'd send "QSL" cards (postcards) to document our discussions. I was an expert at morse code. I still remember code. I used to use 10 meters and 15 meters for international communication.

I'm sure ham radio has changed since I was in the game. My rig was tube based (Drake). You could always buy used. Check out the Drake R4B and the associated transmitter - T4XB I think. I will never forget the day that my father came home with a full ham kit for me in the trunk of his Buick Electra.

I'll keep my eyes on this post.
Almost the same story here. Ex WA2NJC. General Class. 60 years ago. I have not touched a key or a mic (except in an airplane) since 1972. Got my General about 60 years ago. I still have the ARC 5 command set transmitter and the BC 454 receiver I bought surplus on Canal St in NYC. Used them on 80 meter CW.

Some of you know I was a friend of Jay Geils. His father Jack was a Ham.

Rich.
Old 09-20-2022, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richgj3 View Post
Some of you know I was a friend of Jay Geils. His father Jack was a Ham.

Rich.
I talked to Jack on 75 meters back in my teens. It was quite a bragging point to have talked to J. Geil’s father! And I’ll add that he was pretty proud of his son.

Last edited by srick; 09-20-2022 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-20-2022, 07:33 PM

I operated a Yaesu FT-101 during my years sailing (1970s). It was a pretty good stand-alone rig. Meeting on 20-240, and then hopping over to some uncluttered frequency.

I still have a little Yaesi hand-held around here somewhere. Haven't fired it up because it has a weird battery I haven't chased. Almost worth shoo-flying another battery just to get it back on the air.

I've heard it's much easier to re-up your license these days than it was half a century ago.
Old 09-21-2022, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
I've heard it's much easier to re-up your license these days than it was half a century ago.
It's also a lot easier to get a license now than back when you did it. There's no morse code requirement anymore, for one thing.

I got my license because my brother is really into ham radio but I haven't found a niche that holds my interest yet. We'll see...
Old 09-21-2022, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

I got into ham radio as a secondary to passing the General Radiotelephone Operators License that was required to work as an avionics tech in the airlines.
My sister kept thinking I had received a ham radio license so I figured that can't be too hard after the GROL. It was almost identical so I passed everything except the morse test which I passed after some practice. I have had an Extra class license for almost 20 years. Dropped by the wayside as time spent talking on the radio with four kids running around wasn't too popular. The kit building and antenna projects were fun to do. Mounted an HT on a bike, 2 meter in the car and HF in the house. The one thing I would still enjoy doing and may after retirement is joining Skywarn again. The emergency preparedness aspect is worth looking into also. Many counties have amateur radio volunteers and usually looking for help. The digital modes are pretty interesting and doesn't take much power, gets the computer involved.
Fun hobby but HF is not cheap unless you do QRP.
Old 09-21-2022, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
After doing a search, I see there are amateur radio operators in this group but I don't see any big discussions.
Cuz this is a group for acoustic guitarists? Ya think?

Quote:
I'm in the US and got a General license a few months ago but I don't really know what to do with it yet. Plus, it's a lot of money to get into HF.
It's never been less expensive than it is today. Lots of (crappy) Chinese HF radios on the market well under $500.

Quote:
What are your favorite aspects of the hobby? How do you participate?
Amateur Extra since '92, almost all CW. Lately I'm into portable operations with Parks On the Air (POTA) and WorldWide Flora and Fauna (WWFF) groups operating CW HF from designated national and state parks. I'm also active with the Straight Key Century Club, which promotes the use CW mode and mechanical keying devices (straight keys, "bugs" and "cooties"). I build my own antennas and have assemble much of my station(s) from kits.

But I talk about that stuff on ham radio forums ... like QRZ.COM, EHAM.COM, and the websites of organizations in which I'm a member. 30 years ago I was invited to be in a club, we were active, became great buddies, did field day operations, operated two 2m and 440 repeaters, had multiple AX.25 packet nodes, dabbled in satellites ... something for everyone's interests. Not sure if the club exists anymore, though. It seems to be harder to get connected for newcomers ... the world has shifted from interpersonal relations to inter-computer relationships. ARRL has publications and articles for the new ham, check them out at arrl.org. Good luck, it's a great hobby. 73 de KD1JT (best regards from KD1JT)
Old 09-21-2022, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
Cuz this is a group for acoustic guitarists? Ya think?
You're right, of course. We have a four pages on what we drive and six pages on breaking a bone. I decided to go out on a limb and ask about amateur radio on the open mic section.

It sounds like you have a lot of fun with the hobby.
Old 09-22-2022, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
You're right, of course. We have a four pages on what we drive and six pages on breaking a bone. I decided to go out on a limb and ask about amateur radio on the open mic section.
There’s the issue, I’m a Morse code operator! 😁

Quote:
It sounds like you have a lot of fun with the hobby.
I do, hope you find your niche.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic