The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-27-2024, 10:48 AM

Another "fix it" vote. I'm not sure you could get anyone else to pay for it though since you were able to inspect and play it before purchase and also the fact that you admit it "could have" happened while in your possession. You can ask but if I were the shopkeeper those two points would rule. Of course I'm also very nice so there's always a chance they'll be also and take it on.
Old 02-27-2024, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Definitely fix it. If this type of crack goes unattended it can cause neck angle problems.

http://frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/...topcrack1.html
Old 02-27-2024, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

No expert here by any stretch, but is this the kind of crack that has something to do with the pick guard? I'd want to know how far up or out it extends under the guard.

Now that I look at the photos again, I see that it aligns w/the fingerboard edge of the guard, so is pretty much along side it, not up and under.
Old 02-27-2024, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

I had a 70’s Guild that had a crack in the same location. The repairman I brought it to said it was common and due to the pickguard shrinking over the years. He cleated and glued the crack and replaced the pickguard for a reasonable fee. I sold that guitar about 20 years later and the crack was still stable,
Put me in the repair it crowd.
Old 02-27-2024, 12:41 PM

A drop of superglue on the inside and forget about it.
Old 02-27-2024, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

I’d have a good tech/luthier inspect the whole guitar and set it up if it’s good and easily repaired. Maybe replace the pick guard as suggested. The shop’s opinion could be biased.
Old 02-27-2024, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyB View Post
This is the most unanimous thread I've ever seen on the forum. Thank you everyone! I'll talk with them about getting a repair done when they add the pickup.

Excellent!!! Great choice!

Those old Guilds are just kinda special guitars, and very much have their own "sound", as you have happily found out!

It will be an easy fix, and the guitar will serve you long and well for many a song to come!

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion