The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-28-2020, 10:48 PM

Default Really like the Harbinger MLS900!!

Just got this line array for doing my solo gigs. Have only used it in my small music room/office for practice.. Great quality for the price point. Wow right off the bat I was impressed with how **** quiet it is.. I double checked thinking maybe the power did not really turn on!! No annoying hiss so, quiet portions of an acoustic song will be quiet. My Taylor is routed through a Boss VE 8 Acoustic Singer and into this MLS900: with its simple controls, sounds wonderful. Finally it can be placed behind to the side and serves as a monitor.. Like the L1.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:53 AM

Harbinger doesn't get a lot of love here. For those looking for low cost, Harbinger has worked for me.

I don't have and have never heard one of their line array units used. It's good to read a first hand report. Let us know how it works out in the long run.

I host an open mic at a small Tap Room. In the beginning I use to bring my better gear. A&H Zed 60-14 mixer with Yamaha speakers. I got to where I was getting concerned about the potential abuse my better gear was being exposed to. I decided one time to try out my budget gear, an A&H Zed 10fx and a Harbinger VARI V2112 speaker. That was 2 years ago, I still use it every week. It sounds just fine for the small room it's used in. In the small venue, the PA is never pushed too hard, which I think is key to getting decent sound from low budget gear.

The different instruments that's run thru it has all sounded just fine, Bass, Ukulele, Mandolins, Acoustic guitars, Electric guitar, Flute, Cajon, Harmonica as well as vocals.

It often get's complemented on it's sound, my inner devil smiles knowing that this is my low budget garage gear that's being praised.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 02-29-2020, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

A few years ago, while in another part of the Pro Audio Department at Guitar Center, I heard a system playing canned music, and without knowing the brand, I heard it as sounding mighty fine! When I investigated the unit, it sounded even better standing a few feet in front of it--Truly, I Feel The Harbinger MLS900 Is A Great Bargain, especially when on sale!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 02-29-2020, 03:49 PM

I feel that this unit is competing directly with the Maui 5. Did you ever heard those 2? How would you compare them? The Maui is a well-regarded model.

Thanks
Old 02-29-2020, 04:39 PM

Good to know. I purchased an earlier Harbinger (MLS500?) in late 2017, but it had unacceptable amounts of hiss with no signal going through it. The price point was great and it seemed very similar to the Bose L1 compact.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 03-01-2020, 12:01 AM

The 900 retails for 599. I got this one from Guitar Center, in what they labeled as used, in excellent condition for 354. Harbinger is the GC brand. They have a nice promo video of a 3 piece acoustic band and of course on there it sounds great. I searched various review and comments, most were positive and some thought is sounded better than the L1 or the JBL Eon line array. So apparently they did something right this time. I will use it for the first time at a gig March 17th, so will report back. It only has a master bass and treble controls, but each of the 3 inputs have toggle switches for mic, instrument and line. As far as finer mic and guitar EQ, verb, etc my Boss VE 8 handles that well anyway. So in my case, no external mixer. Less fuss.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:46 PM

Bought one, enjoyed it so we bought another. They hook up together nicely. Gives lots of options for where we can play. We run through a Behringer Xair 12 which gives tons of control...all from your ipad or phone. The two of them cost less than one of the more talked about brands.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification