The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-28-2020, 02:55 AM

Default Seeking guitar case recommendations

I’m looking for recommendations for a new guitar case.

I currently have a Hiscox, which offers good protection, but is quite heavy. I think it is well suited when driving or flying with my guitar.

However, I need a guitar case that is lightweight and suitable for walking and catching the bus / train. Ideally something with shoulder straps that i can wear as a backpack. It doesn’t necessarily need to offer the same level of protection as the hiscox (but at least be reasonable).

I know there re a lot of carbon fibre cases on the market, but I’m not familiar with them. I am not really constrained by budget; I’d rather buy high quality that will last decades. But i like good value (I like my Hiscox!).

Any recommendations?
Old 02-28-2020, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

I got one of those very light and strong TSA-rated gator cases for my
SG when I got it:

I liked it so much I got one for my dreadnought too, which came with
a giant heavy six latch case.

I liked that so much I wanted to get one for the 57 Country Western
I just got, but the lower bout on it is 1/4 inch or so too wide to fit.

If the lower bout on your (dreadnought?) is 15 3/4 or less it
will probably fit in one...

-Mike
Old 02-28-2020, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky Fish View Post
However, I need a guitar case that is lightweight and suitable for walking and catching the bus / train. Ideally something with shoulder straps that i can wear as a backpack. It doesn’t necessarily need to offer the same level of protection as the hiscox (but at least be reasonable).
It sounds like a good quality gig bag would do that job and give you more flexibility that another case?
Old 02-28-2020, 08:09 AM

I'm a fan of the semi-rigid foam cases, particularly if one is made specifically sized for the brand / model of guitar that you own.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

People love their Calton cases. I don't know their weight and can't find it on their website.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 02-28-2020, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Mono Cases (technically gig bags, but safer than most hardshell cases) are super light and protective. Similar quality is found in the Continental and Oxford cases from Reunion Blues. I have really turned over to the gig bag side. There's incredibly protective stuff out there these days and way lighter and easier to lug around.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:

I currently have a Hiscox, which offers good protection, but is quite heavy. I think it is well suited when driving or flying with my guitar.

I know there re a lot of carbon fibre cases on the market, but I’m not familiar with them. I am not really constrained by budget; I’d rather buy high quality that will last decades. But i like good value (I like my Hiscox!).

Any recommendations?
acoustic or electric? if acoustic what size guitar?
Old 02-28-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:

Any recommendations?
Why not use the case you have? I got one of these strap systems that allows you to carry a hard case on your back.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07812LX8L

There's a chance you won't like it as it's certainly not a "lightweight" solution but rather offers you the protection of your tried and true hard case along with the portability of a gig bag. It worked great for me when travelling by air last year.
Old 02-28-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplebaby View Post
acoustic or electric? if acoustic what size guitar?
Nylon string classical
Old 02-28-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
Why not use the case you have? I got one of these strap systems that allows you to carry a hard case on your back.

There's a chance you won't like it as it's certainly not a "lightweight" solution but rather offers you the protection of your tried and true hard case along with the portability of a gig bag. It worked great for me when travelling by air last year.
My current case is too heavy for me for walking / public transport. I’m looking for a lightweight solution.
Old 02-28-2020, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
Mono Cases (technically gig bags, but safer than most hardshell cases) are super light and protective. Similar quality is found in the Continental and Oxford cases from Reunion Blues. I have really turned over to the gig bag side. There's incredibly protective stuff out there these days and way lighter and easier to lug around.
I'll second this, Mono bags are outstanding.
Old 02-28-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
Thanks for this suggestion. These looking very interesting and i will look into them more.
Old 02-28-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post

wow! i've used a similar product called the BackAxe for over ten years. an absolute godsend for air travel. i even recently started using it for my Goodall Jumbo in a Hiscox Pro II case. can't imagine what Hiscox the OP has as my Hiscox was the result of searching specifically for a lightweight case. when i first put it in the BackAxe and strapped it on i immediately took it off again to double check i had actually put the guitar in the case. it felt that light!

perhaps the OP would be better suited with a hefty gig bag. there are a few cases lighter than the Hiscox i have but the price tags are pretty steep.
Old 02-28-2020, 02:06 PM

Taylor’s gig bags are substantial but a whole lot lighter than a hard case. Reunion blues are nice, too.

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut
Old 02-28-2020, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Hey Tricky Fish,
I am in the same boat... I have an OM guitar with an Ameritage case and its just too heavy on the hand and wrist.... Go on Amazon and look up the "Crossrock Acoustic guitar case" they're made of fiberglass and Carbon fiber, they have a few different models.... look preferably at the CRF2000 or CRF3000 do not bother with the CRF4000 its poorly designed.... the 2000 is quite well made and for around 350-400 its a good value compared to a Hoffee at 1200-1400.... This one looks pretty good especially for the price....I was having difficulty finding more than one or 2 options for an OM, as they're mainly sized for Classical guitars....

https://www.amazon.com/Crossrock-CRF...%2C142&sr=8-16

Dan

Last edited by dbintegrity; 02-28-2020 at 02:38 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion