The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-27-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I know that feeling of loss and feeling cheated out of saying goodbye but it sure beats years of slow deterioration as you watch a person you love fade away bit by bit.

Lost my 91 year old mother 18 days ago.
She didn't know who I was the last 5 years.
Couldn't walk, couldn't talk.
We couldn't tell her one of her daughters (my sister) died in 2018.
Her quality of life was non existent.
I'm grateful she passed peacefully in her sleep.
So sorry Bruce.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:32 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
I know that feeling of loss and feeling cheated out of saying goodbye but it sure beats years of slow deterioration as you watch a person you love fade away bit by bit.

Lost my brother suddenly 15 years ago and as you said, never got the goodbye.

Lost Dad two years ago after watching slow, steady decline from dementia and parkinson's type symptoms.

As hard as it is on those left behind, I know how I'd go if I could choose.

Old 02-27-2020, 08:46 PM

I had a double bypass when I was 50, (I'm 73) but a lot of this is genetic. One should really pay attention if fathers or grandfathers had heart disease or died of a heart attack. I'm very sorry for your loss and you are wise to look into your own health immediately. Too many guys living under stress just deny chest pains or shortness of breath. Hope your scan goes well.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 02-27-2020, 08:51 PM

Horse, sorry about your friend. I hope your test shows everything is fine!

I went in 01/07/20 for a heart cath. Found blockage in what痴 called the widow maker left mem of the heart. Sent me straight to the hospital and a double bypass the next morning. I知 53 and have had a good recovery...or so I知 told. I have one more week off work.
Never took care of my self except for the last two years. I have quit ALL junk food or any processed food. I知 gonna do my part to stay healthy. Rest is out of my hands!
Old 02-27-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Lost my brother suddenly 15 years ago and as you said, never got the goodbye.

Lost Dad two years ago after watching slow, steady decline from dementia and parkinson's type symptoms.

As hard as it is on those left behind, I know how I'd go if I could choose.
Very few really get that choice.
My 94 year old father-in-law passed away in his sleep in his bed in his house.
It was the dream ending for a really lovely man ... but as this thread reads, it doesn't always end like that.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 02-27-2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:

That kind of slow deterioration is the worst - on the other hand, when I hear of someone dying suddenly of a heart attack - it must have been painful for the victim at the time but it ends pretty quickly - those left behind feel the loss - we all have to go someday - better quickly than a slow deterioration, but I must admit, I知 not impressed by some in my extended family actively working to influence their married kids to have more children for purposes of pride or competition between (my) siblings for greater number of grandchildren. Life is a fragile thing, not a game.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:00 AM

Best of luck with the test. Sure you will be fine. And thanks for living the example of taking the right steps.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 02-28-2020, 06:18 AM

Sorry for your loss.

I am mindful. First because my father died of a heart attack at a young age, and again because my mother had a heart attack. Still, I am on the side of family members who choose an appropriate lifestyle and do not incur excessive or inappropriate medical costs and risks. We've had family members die or have big problems from medical mistakes.

My new physician is interesting because he looks at my Apple Health data including heart rate and exercise stats. I'm fine with that approach even though I have a sibling and some relatives who would break their insurer with tests of it were allowed.

Do you have risk or preexisting conditions that your provider is so quick to do this test?
Old 02-28-2020, 06:52 AM

Very sorry to hear about your friend. As others have mentioned,he was very young to have had this happen to him. I have learned that age, while it used to be a dominant factor in heart disease,is not a primary risk factor these days.

Heredity, diet, and lifestyle are the big three risk factors according to my cardiologist. In my family,on my father's side, every male has succumbed to heart disease. None have lived to see 60 except myself.

I had a massive heart attack at 45, and if not for bypass surgery then and a couple of stents a year and a half ago I would not be here today. I am now 20 years post heart attack, and I have far less time in front of me than behind.

All of this to say you are doing exactly what you should be doing. Had I heeded the warning signs I was experiencing,I could have avoided my heart attack at that time. My surgeon told me that with my family history of the disease, I had an 80% chance of a heart attack. In other words,it was when,not if.

Please take care,and listen to your body as well as your doctor.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:09 AM

Get checked ..on a regular basis..My cardiologist is also my PCP so I see him on a regular schedule. Just had stress test and video of my heart function...all looks good but.....it does not detect all. My good friend, non smoker, jogger, bike rider, swimmer, light beer drinker, did everything right..died in his home watching TV on the couch ..massive heart attack age 60. You can only do so much then you have to put your faith somewhere else and go about life. Hope all goes well with you...
Old 02-28-2020, 08:21 AM

I'm another one of those people that had absolutely no symptoms of heart disease. About a year and a half ago, I went in for a CT scan looking for a kidney stone (found a small one) but they said I also had a high calcium score which indicated a heart problem. My physician referred me to a cardiologist who sent me for a nuclear stress test. The stress test confirmed a heart problem, so the cardiologist performed an angiogram. While I was still on the table after the angiogram, the doc said, "you're not going home today, we're scheduling you for surgery". What???? I had one artery 100% blocked and two others 75% blocked. After the triple bypass, I've lost 40 pounds and am trying to maintain a low fat diet. As someone else mentioned, some of this is hereditary. On my mothers side, three of her brothers died of heart attacks and my mom had bypass surgery when she was 91 years old. I'm presently 70.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:14 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I had what turned out to be electrical problems with my heart a couple of years back and went in for a full workup, including "lying in the gutter." That's what it felt like when they did the CT. The "table" or "bed" they had me lie on was actually a "V" shaped extrusion about seven feet long and two and a half feet wide with the point down. It was novel and a tad uncomfortable to lie in, to be sure. I came out with a report of clean plumbing, thank the Lord.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-28-2020, 09:54 AM

Sorry to hear the news, Horse. Cherish the memories.

I lost one of my best friends to stomach cancer 7 1/2 years ago. He was in his early 50's. That made it clear to me that "tomorrow is never guaranteed." And thus you gotta tell folks how you feel when you can and live each day to the fullest.
2013 Taylor 214
2013 Martin D-17M
2014 Taylor 516e
2014 Taylor GS Mini Hog
2015 Taylor 324e
2015 Taylor 414ce-N
2015 Taylor Custom GA 12 fret
2015 Taylor 612ce 12 fret
2016 Taylor T5 Custom AA koa
2017 Taylor 712ce 12 fret LTD
2018 Taylor K22ce 12 fret LTD AA Koa
2019 Cordoba Master Series Hauser Ltd.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:07 AM

I am so sorry about your friend. It is truly tragic. Many folks who die of sudden cardiac arrest are asymptomatic and in otherwise good health, others have all of the classic warning signs and symptoms but just keep plugging along - it makes no sense sometimes. Here's praying your scan goes well.
Old 02-28-2020, 02:23 PM

Life can pass so quickly with no sign or warning. I am sorry about your friend and I hope the test goes well.

My mom died of a massive heart attack at 88.

My MIL is lingering in a memory care unit and doesn't even know my wife.

Carpe diem.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic