The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 01:42 PM

I can see this thread being active for a few months, or until 300 posts. It will (or is) impact our lives. Just look at the stock market tanking this week. Travel restrictions (Air Canada has cancelled all their flights to China), sporting and other events are being cancelled and will be cancelled. Guessing there will be no Olympics in Japan this year?
Old 02-28-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Guessing there will be no Olympics in Japan this year?
Cancellation is entirely probable.. Ouch.
Old 02-28-2020, 02:33 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCave View Post
Cancellation is entirely probable.. Ouch.
I’ve heard that an option may be to postpone the Olympics in Japan for a year. That seems like a long time, but an option that may be the best solution if it comes to it. Some will financially suffer as a result and athletes near the outer limits of their longevity may have to bow out, but that may be a small price to pay.
Old 02-28-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
I was at Costco yesterday afternoon, and saw many shoppers' carts brimming with supplies - presumably to get them through some kind of "quarantine" situation where they wouldn't be able to resupply for a while.
Fresh Direct - they deliver groceries in NY, was abnormally low on stock as well. I am starting to. Between the people who are stocking up for quarantine possibilities and the restrictions on bringing food and goods here from other countries, it might be good to stock up.

I'm also switching more to a vegetarian diet for now, as I really dont know how much of the meat, fish and chicken is shipped in vehicles that also handle international.
Old 02-28-2020, 02:40 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
I was at Costco yesterday afternoon, and saw many shoppers' carts brimming with supplies - presumably to get them through some kind of "quarantine" situation where they wouldn't be able to resupply for a while.

It was pretty entertaining to check out what people were filling their carts with.

Probably the best was an older couple, about 70 years old, I'd guess. Husband was pushing one of the orange "flatbed" carts loaded down with cases upon cases of bottled water and orange juice. Wife had a regular cart loaded down with wine. There musta been 50+ bottles of wine in that cart!
One of the biggest problems may actually be the shopping carts where the handles are a viral/bacterial smorgasbord.
Old 02-28-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
You quoted me.

Tony
Because I thought you made a great point.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-28-2020, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
One of the biggest problems may actually be the shopping carts where the handles are a viral/bacterial smorgasbord.
Come to think of it, for the past couple of years I have been observing shoppers wiping down the handles of shopping carts before using them, simply as a matter of course. Maybe more people will start doing that now. Actually, that is a pretty good idea in general.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 02-28-2020, 02:56 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Come to think of it, for the past couple of years I have been observing shoppers wiping down the handles of shopping carts before using them, simply as a matter of course. Maybe more people will start doing that now. Actually, that is a pretty good idea in general.

Tony
Yes, I have seen this too and in fact, some stores have wipes containers mounted on a wall near the carts. This is the exception rather than the rule and even more so where people happen to bring their own.
Old 02-28-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:

Tony
It creates a lot of trash that has to go somewhere...
Old 02-28-2020, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I’ve heard that an option may be to postpone the Olympics in Japan for a year. That seems like a long time, but an option that may be the best solution if it comes to it. Some will financially suffer as a result and athletes near the outer limits of their longevity may have to bow out, but that may be a small price to pay.
Hi Tom, I haven't heard that but I think that will probably happen - postponement for 1 year.
Old 02-28-2020, 03:18 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hi Tom, I haven't heard that but I think that will probably happen - postponement for 1 year.
I could be recalling wrong, it I think it may have been (Canadian) Dick Pound, IOC President, who said it.
Old 02-28-2020, 03:34 PM

Lots of premature speculation. Again: WE KNOW VERY LITTLE ABOUT THUS VIRUS. The stock market is tanking, but it tanked 14 months ago (and came back)...and without any input that was nearly as uncertain or scarey as Covid19; don’t be too quick to give the stock market so much credit for being rational or even logical. And remember, even when the stock market shifts a very small amount (statistically speaking), the folks who talk about the market still act as if they know why the market went up or down. It is merely a story, which may or may not be true, and the truth of which may only be clear in retrospect.

I’m not saying this virus is not something to be concerned about. I am saying that we are not on a position to know whether we should be a little concerned, moderately concerned, very concerned, or alarmed. Hopefully, we will know more, and will be able to gauge our levels of concern on a few weeks (maybe sooner...again, pretty hard to make more than a guess).

Read the article that Silly Moustache posted.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:37 PM

Quote:
I could be recalling wrong, it I think it may have been (Canadian) Dick Pound, IOC President, who said it.
Yes, Pound said that a couple of days ago. He said a decision would be made in 2 or 3 months about the Olympics. Just depends on whether things get better or worse. Guessing things get worse in the next couple of months.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

Second warning, guys. Courtesy is required at all times.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:24 PM

Thanks for the tip on wiping down shopping cart handles, that is a definite concern. I wear nitrile gloves sometimes for housework and I started using them for shopping and disposing them when I return home.

This is an informational video from Peter Lin, a Canadian physician that calmly and clearly tells what the virus basically is and how it works, what measures you can realistically take to minimize getting it and spreading it that was posted on facebook by a friend and I thought was worth sharing...

Last edited by slide496; 02-28-2020 at 07:36 PM.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic