The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-28-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Thanks Mr. B!

There's so much more to think about.; posture, fretting thumb position, fretting hand knuckle alignment with strings, position of right hand, nail or no nails..... and fighting to acquire that nice thick tone....

I'm going to try though.

What's "the candle trick?"

Before recording, roll a candle over the strings, creates a thin layer of wax which minimizes squeaks.

It's an old studio trick, mostly used by guitar players who were "occasional" nylon string players. They way you're going about things is the right way to do it

There's all kinds of funny studio stories about nylon strings. There's a great one about the venerable Tommy Tedesco, who was playing nylon with a pick on a session and the producer said "Sounds ok, but play with your fingers, it'll sound better."

Tommy, knowing darn well he couldn't pull the part off without a pick, politely said sure, palmed the pick, and when his part came up, played it with the pick again.

To which the producer said "See? Much better."

Welcome to the oh so fun world of nylon strings.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-28-2020, 10:28 AM

I love that. The player is working hard hard to get it right. Many levels above what I've achieved. Sort of mind blowing in comparison. Congrats and if you can make that better, you're hired for the job.!! Sounds great Barry.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Very nice Barry!

Good for you for going after a real classical piece. I, too, have experienced all that extraneous noise that a classical guitar makes. I never resolved it. I don't think I have picked up my classical since. I'm sure it takes a lot of work to learn how to do this kind of piece quietly. Good luck with this Barry! Maybe you will inspire me!

- Glenn
Thanks Glenn!

I was looking at what I was doing and my fret hand angle was all wrong, plus I have a habit of touching the back of the guitar with more than my thumb which leads to too much noise. As a steel string player I'm accustomed to grabbing the neck like a baseball bat at times. Unfortunately I'm going to have to go way back to doing scales, but with classical technique this time around.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Great job Barry. I think the main thing that stood out was the string squeak and it really was not too bad at all. I thought your volume/dynamics were pretty good. I can appreciate how hard a challenge this is.

Regarding your guitar sliding around, have you considered a Neck Up? They really work well and are very comfortable for playing. That whole prop your leg up and cross your legs is crazy to me.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 02-29-2020, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
I love that. The player is working hard hard to get it right. Many levels above what I've achieved. Sort of mind blowing in comparison. Congrats and if you can make that better, you're hired for the job.!! Sounds great Barry.
Thanks 3notes! I started working on scales a bit that I found on youtube and
I have book or two to get some exercises from which should help. This is almost like starting all over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Great job Barry. I think the main thing that stood out was the string squeak and it really was not too bad at all. I thought your volume/dynamics were pretty good. I can appreciate how hard a challenge this is.

Regarding your guitar sliding around, have you considered a Neck Up? They really work well and are very comfortable for playing. That whole prop your leg up and cross your legs is crazy to me.
Thanks Bob! The string squeak was a problem for me on steel strings too, I think it comes from poor technique related to how I hold the neck. I tend to grab it like a baseball bat at times and that doesn't work well for anything except cowboy chords. My hand has to come around a bit, align differently with the frets and then just use the thumb on the back of the neck in a sort of pinching kind of thing, instead of the full hand grab. I've been doing it wrong from a classical point of view for 56 years so....

I took a piece of non-slip shelving cloth and that solved the guitar sliding, but I think I need the head stock a bit higher. I'm still thinking about the neck up devices. I have my left foot on a standard footstool for guitarists right now.

My SoundCloud page

Old 03-01-2020, 11:09 AM

Nice one Barry I thought it sounded absolutely fine, a little delicate even. For me the odd squeak did not curtail in any way my enjoyment.

Seemed a bit short though, who did the arrangement?

I've been really getting back into the classical recently, realised I've had a bad right index finger technique issue for over thirty years! And had to right back to basics again.

More classical please.
Old 03-01-2020, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtrfinger View Post
Nice one Barry I thought it sounded absolutely fine, a little delicate even. For me the odd squeak did not curtail in any way my enjoyment.

Seemed a bit short though, who did the arrangement?

I've been really getting back into the classical recently, realised I've had a bad right index finger technique issue for over thirty years! And had to right back to basics again.

More classical please.
Thanks! I got the arrangement here:

https://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/lessons/

Scroll down to the "Graded Repertoire Video Lessons" section. Its in Grade 7.
I'm playing 99% classical these days so there will be more later on down the road, once I figure out what I'm doing a bit more.

My SoundCloud page

Old 03-04-2020, 09:42 AM

Very nice Barry. I enjoyed that.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Before recording, roll a candle over the strings, creates a thin layer of wax which minimizes squeaks.

It's an old studio trick, mostly used by guitar players who were "occasional" nylon string players. They way you're going about things is the right way to do it

There's all kinds of funny studio stories about nylon strings. There's a great one about the venerable Tommy Tedesco, who was playing nylon with a pick on a session and the producer said "Sounds ok, but play with your fingers, it'll sound better."

Tommy, knowing darn well he couldn't pull the part off without a pick, politely said sure, palmed the pick, and when his part came up, played it with the pick again.

To which the producer said "See? Much better."

Welcome to the oh so fun world of nylon strings.
Cool trick!
Thomastik has a Rope core classical strings that are flatwound- Pretty sweet feeling strings
Old 03-06-2020, 11:10 AM

Nice job Barry - classical suits you!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 03-06-2020, 06:40 PM

Wow, Barry. I have no idea what you did wrong, but I enjoyed it very much and am duly impressed.

Bill
Old 03-08-2020, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC. View Post
Very nice Barry. I enjoyed that.
Thanks JC!

My SoundCloud page

Old 03-08-2020, 07:30 PM

Barry, great job - and love your putting yourself out there with a piece that's very well done but still has imperfections. Good push for me to follow your example. Your timing was well done, and I'm impressed by your effort to reinvent your playing to adapt to nylon/classical.

Keep up the great (and inspiring) work!
Old 03-09-2020, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
Nice job Barry - classical suits you!
Thanks Wrighty! It's slow going though.

My SoundCloud page

Old 03-11-2020, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
Wow, Barry. I have no idea what you did wrong, but I enjoyed it very much and am duly impressed.

Bill
Thanks Bill!

My SoundCloud page

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell