The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-19-2020, 07:23 PM

I have three Strats and they all have different pickups.

* The '01 American Strat has a bridge/neck Seymour Duncan Hot Rails - I call that my Iron Maiden strat.
* The '05 American has a Texas Special neck
* The '04 Mexi has a custom built pickup I ordered from Vineham, located in Newfoundland Canada. It's based on a Super Distortion.

I rarely play my Strats though. I'm much more comfortable on Les Pauls and SGs.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:15 PM

On my Santa list, there's a FrankenStrat. Hardtail body, Warmoth neck with an extra-wide fingerboard and EVO Gold frets. Hardtail because I think the standard Strat springs make the guitar feel mooshy, EVO Gold because I'm allergic to nickel.

Couch Standards
Old 02-19-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Hayden View Post
Strats are wonderful but they can be a handful. Novice players on strats can sound....interesting. Of all the solidbody designs, it’s the one that responds most like an acoustic - minor changes in hand position, pickup selection, et cetera result in large tonal variation.

It’s fun to A/B strats and teles - one day one tone is good, and a different tone on other days.
Agree - the heavily contoured (reduced mass) body with spring loaded tremolo block & hollow rear cavity, even with bridge decked or blocked - there is something very alive about this design, while on paper the idea of a floating bridge seems weak & flawed, it really turned the solid body electric guitar on its ear. As for the hardtail version - not really a strat, something else entirely in my opinion.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:19 AM

Heard somewhere that Leo was chuffed primarily with his tremolo (vibrato) system on the Stratocaster.

Of course I use sparingly (worry about tuning) and mostly over chords. (Even if my favourite Stratocaster players use the tremolo (vibrato) bar far more than I choose to do).
Old 02-20-2020, 05:13 AM

Yep
I have an Al Hammond Jr as well as a Player limited edition cherry
Martin D-16e
Goldtone CCR100 Banjo
Fender Albert Hammond Jr. Strat
Fender Player limited edition Cherry Burst Strat
Fender Squire Classic Vibe Tele
Old 02-20-2020, 06:07 AM
Guitar Gourmet

You know, it strikes me that I do, in fact, have another Strat, or Strat-ish guitar. This is a MusicMan Sterling LK100D Steve Lukather sig.

I'm not that into sigs or super Strats but after playing one of these and seeing Steve play them I was impressed enough because the features made it fit my style better than the average Strat. More HERE.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-20-2020, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Having given up electric guitar in 1969 and only returned 3 years ago, I had developed no particular brand or model "enthusiasm"

That said I can definitely appreciate what specific sonic design types might bring to the table. Currently my one electric is more in the LP hybrid type, with an LP -ish overall shape and fitted with Humbuckers,, BUT the pickups can be coil split and the neck is bolt on...
However I have been considering getting a straight 3 single coil design, so I guess you could I am a fan of the sonic design character, if not the brand itself.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-20-2020, 11:21 AM

I love them. Of course I also love a lot of other guitars, but that's not the point here.

With clean tones I do think that box of springs under the bridge does add something. I think it's more apparent when it's set to float, but it's still there to some degree even when blocked. Sure, add lots more distortion and that's probably not retained much, but there's something to that "Springy Sound."

I've owned a bunch of them (or close copies) over the years. My current main Strat is a "reverse Strat" from a time when this model was not sold officially as a "Jimi Hendrix" model. The neck is "upside down" and the bridge pickup is reverse slanted (treble string side farther away from the bridge), but everything else is right handed/like a regular Strat. The pickups are sort of a 60 vintage style as I recall.

The reversed slant bridge pickup is nice thing I think as I've never really gotten much use from the classic Strat bridge pickup sound. I keep the bridge floating on this one--because Hendrix. Another nice thing about a loose, floating Strat bridge is that the guitar feels like it has lower tension strings. Of course you have bend farther when doing string vibrato and have the other possible issues with a floating Strat bridge, but it feels extra slinky when fretting otherwise.

In my Hendrix interest, I once bought a left-handed MIM Strat and flipped the nut to set it up Hendrix style so I could get a sense what that was like. Maybe you've read some things (I had) about how this helped Jimi Hendrix, how SRV liked the LH bridge by choice on his otherwise RH Strat, how the controls were handy upside down, and so on.

I found the experiment very informative. Play a Stat upside down and it takes one of the most ergonomic designs ever and makes it a three-legged sack race of a struggle. My arm was constantly bumping into the cable coming out of the jack (I watch Hendrix videos and it never seems to bother him!). I couldn't do pinky swells or easy volume adjustments in mid phrase with the volume knob up above the strings. The "comfort contours" became speed bumps. I found the vibrato arm more awkward, but that may be because I'm more or a high-strings "weedilly, weedilly…" kind of player.

Remembering that, every time I see Hendrix playing a Strat and making it look like the most natural thing in the world, I remember my experience with an actual fully upside-down Strat, and love my reverse Strat even more.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 02-20-2020, 01:23 PM

Default Music Man

I'll keep it short, I just sold my American Pro all maple neck. Why? Because after acquiring two EBMM, first an axis super sport, then the one that did it, 2017 Cutlass also with all maple neck, I could see the fender was going to be getting a lot of rest. I've never played a custom shop strat but I'd be hard pressed to be convinced it would make me swap out the Cutlass for one.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Hayden View Post
Strats are wonderful but they can be a handful. Novice players on strats can sound....interesting. Of all the solidbody designs, it’s the one that responds most like an acoustic - minor changes in hand position, pickup selection, et cetera result in large tonal variation.

It’s fun to A/B strats and teles - one day one tone is good, and a different tone on other days.
Agreed; I've heard Strats described as "wonky and un-biddable in the wrong hands". They really do take some time to learn one's way around, get them set up so they stay in tune, etc. They can really be a hot mess in the hands of someone not used to them.

I highly recommend watching Jeff Beck's "Live at Ronnie Scott's" DVD. Whomever did the filming of this did a great job of focusing in on what Beck is actually doing when he plays...nice primer for Strat players.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 02-22-2020, 03:02 PM

My first strat (1962 sonic blue) was purchased for my 16th birthday in 1970. Sadly it had to go for finance reasons when I was a student. Last year I came across a 2012 NOS Custom Shop 1961 stratocaster in Sonic blue with exactly the same appointments and configuration as my first guitar. It wasn't cheap, but the pleasure it gave me to find exactly the same instrument (after setting the brige up to float correctly) was tremendous. It is also a great reminder of my Dad who was generous enough to pay for the first one, although we come from a poor background.

https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/atta...-nos-strat-jpg

Last edited by Ray175; 02-22-2020 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-22-2020, 06:23 PM

I'm in. I have two: An American Std that I bought new in 1989; red with a rosewood board, and a (2014?) Lone Star Strat, black with rosewood board. The Lone Star is pretty cool - it's an SSH MIM but the two single coils are USA Texas Specials and the humbucker is a Pearly Gates. Very versatile guitar, and I play it with our band every week. The Am Std is my old reliable. I only play it at home these days, but I think it's time I brought it out again.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:32 PM

I have two.

The first is a black 86 MIJ E-series, bought new in 87. It has the notorious Kahler type one trem, with string-locks just above the nut.

Second is a 96 Clapton strat with the active electronics, tbx tone control, and 3 gold laces sensors, blocked per spec, so it is effectively a hard tail.

For purposes of my contribution, I also have an 85 Les Paul Custom, an 82 SG, and a 91 Deluxe Telecaster Plus. I’ve now owned all except the SG for over 20 years.

After all these years and out of all of them, the MIJ strat has the most hours on it. The rosewood over maple, 22 frets, on Fender’s modern C profile, to me is the most comfortable. And my tele has exact same specs, and it’s equally just as comfortable. I could let go of the EC strat because of the v neck, but I’m too lazy, (and it’s still a killer guitar). I might grow into it one of these days.

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster
Old 02-26-2020, 09:48 PM

I think there is a clean tone that can only be obtained from a strat with the right pickups. I didn't like mine until I swapped in a set of 69 Custom Shop Abigail Ybarra pickups and Shazam. This is IT. Love mine.

Old 02-27-2020, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybcool View Post
I think there is a clean tone that can only be obtained from a strat with the right pickups. I didn't like mine until I swapped in a set of 69 Custom Shop Abigail Ybarra pickups and Shazam. This is IT. Love mine.

Oh. Thats nice. Beautiful.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars