The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-04-2020, 12:20 PM

Default Yikes, I have been retired for one year!

Whew, that first year went fast! I’ll turn 65 next month. Medicare starts next month. Been a great first year. Ok, here goes year 2!
Old 02-04-2020, 12:45 PM

Wow - I have heard that this is how it goes. I'm not ready just yet (Age 66). My health is good and I love getting up early (5;20 am) and getting on with the day. My days are never boring and being my own boss (sort of - but when a patient calls and needs me, I'm there. I also don't get paid when I don't work)), I have a small bit of freedom that most folks don't have.

Unfortunately, there is not enough time to get morning guitar practice in, but 'que sera sera'.

However, we do have our first grand-daughter to dote over. I suspect that she will give me a good reason to retire in the future.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:49 PM

I retired at 58. I really liked my job but I was made an offer I couldn't pass up.

67 now and don't regret it for a minute.

More music, more woodworking, more travel, less money but it works.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Hi Horse, sad but true. Time simply evaporates. I’m loving it too. Perhaps that’s why time goes by so fast.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:46 PM

Thumbs up yup

Yeah Horse...time will continue to speed up. At 65 I was into year 5 of retirement...can't get over how fast the time has gone by.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:43 PM

If by "retired" you mean "stopped collecting a paycheck" then I've been "retired" for 16 years now. Being a "residential sanitation engineer and short order cook for the chronologically impaired" (i.e. changing diapers and making grilled cheese sandwiches for the kids) - among other things - doesn't pay all that well.

Maybe I should take that terminology off my resume?
Old 02-04-2020, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

At 66 I'm six months into my first year of full retirement. We just finished our taxes so we're relieved to actually know where we stand and how things will work. I'm totally amazed how wonderful it's been being retired. I threw away all my myths and expectations when I retired just to experience an unforced reality other than following my compulsions of the responsibility. I'm not sure it's been worth it but thank God I've been able to experience it.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-04-2020, 03:43 PM

I hear you. I just finished year three of retirement. I turn 65 next month so it’s on to Medicare for me as well. Time is flying!
Old 02-04-2020, 03:49 PM

Conrats on that 1st year! Now just settle in and put it on cruise control...

I turned 70 last year with 15 years of retirement under my belt, and it's been without a doubt the best time of my life...

I remember the first few years after I retired, my former employer and a few other related businesses tried to lure me back to the fold...

My stock answer became "I wouldn't go back for half the hours and twice the money..."
Old 02-04-2020, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Getting on for 13 years for me !

I spent 20 years in a multinational corporate and had planned to retire at 53, maybe 55, but at 45 I'd had enough and they were paying good money to reduce the numbers, so I jumped.

Being out of work for the first time, was horrible. Took a long time for me to find a job "that stuck" albeit for half the salary initially.

They dumped my in '2003 (aged 55, but I got "head hunted" by a partner organisation to run a project which I later took over as self employed.

When the contract project finally ended (as I knew it would) I had worked out a plan with the help of my financial advisor.

I had to be a little cautious for five years as the state pension didn't cut in until I was 65, so I put away a figure at reasonably high interest to fund those five years, and it worked out to the penny, (including vacations, house maintenance, and the odd car and guitar purchase).

I've always been careful with money - doing OK so far.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
...it's been without a doubt the best time of my life..."I wouldn't go back for half the hours and twice the money..."
Pretty much the same way my wife and I feel - June marks the fourth anniversary of our retirement from teaching in the NYC public schools, and although we genuinely loved working with the kids the conditions became unbearable...
Old 02-04-2020, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

While I retired from being employed in custom home construction in carpentry, then job foreman , at age 57 3 years earlier then I had planned, that was 13 years ago I will be 70 the end of this month.
We have since my retirement , moved twice and done three major house remodels, and just this year started our riding arena construction. For which I am doing some tack/mechanical room interior finish work. So yes the years have flown by..... But it has been pretty interesting.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-04-2020, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

I’ve been retired for 3 months now. I will turn 63 in March, so I got out a little later than I originally intended, but the extra year allowed us to pay off our house. That was the last hurdle. No regrets, I honesty don’t know how I ever had time to have a job!
Takamine F-451S 12 String (1977)
Old 02-04-2020, 06:10 PM

5 years this July for me. The first 2 or 3 were hard. Then it got really enjoyable really fast.
(First 2 or 3 minutes, that is)...
Old 02-04-2020, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

Well done, Horse. Keep up the good work.

Optima dies, prima fugit

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic