The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-09-2020, 02:19 PM

Default Squire Telecaster classic vibe

found a used classic vibe for 250.00 at my local guitar store, maple neck with 2single coil alnicos. I've heard good reviews of them, or I could put a Telecaster together from parts. This guitar wont last long at the store..........

1933 Gibson L-00
2007 Taylor 110
2013 Taylor GS Mini
2018 Eastman E10M
1977 Sigma DR-9
2012 Republic Miniolian
2016 Recording King ROS-G9M
Old 01-09-2020, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Bob View Post
found a used classic vibe for 250.00 at my local guitar store, maple neck with 2single coil alnicos. I've heard good reviews of them, or I could put a Telecaster together from parts. This guitar wont last long at the store..........
They're an amazing value, easily the equal of most of the MIM teles out there, until you get into the higher end Ventera series. The only limitation is whether you like the neck or not - it's a modern "C" neck and pretty skinny, which lot's of folks like and lot's of folks don't. If you're ok with that it's a great guitar. I've had two of them, one sort of white, one BSB.

At that price, if you don't like it, I'm sure you can sell it for the same. Or mod it.

-Ray
Old 01-09-2020, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Is it the blonde or butterscotch or the later custom in sunburst?

I have the butterscotch version and I like it a lot. I believe the blonde one has hotter pickups but I like mine fine as it is. I just paid for a setup and I really like the guitar. I like quite skinny necks though so if you've got chubby fingers or just like a wider nut it might not suit you. Give it a play and see if you like it.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 01-09-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I'd say that is a very good deal if the guitar is in good shape.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:50 PM

I have one...butterscotch color with the Alnicos, love it. My teacher, who forgot more than I'll ever know about guitars and playing says its one of the best bargains out there. Plays great and sounds like a champ. He does have a preference to the rosewood fretboard
ones..dont get as sticky in hot weather he says...he should know. But this guitar is fine. I would buy it if you could.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:05 PM

The Squier Classic Vibe ‘50s telecaster can be weighty - if around 9lbs it can become neglected over time if you don’t like heavy guitars - weight doesn’t bother some folks, but sometimes it can become an unconscious factor toward not picking it up to play it - in any case, the maple necks and finish quality of the frets on the ones I’ve seen have been top notch, and for the price it’s an unbeatable platform for upgrades - all that said, the stock output jack usually requires upgrade as it often comes loose over time. It’s a five hole pickguard with ashtray bridge and vintage tuners, good pickups so it’s a real Telecaster.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:11 PM

I say if you like the way the neck feels and the way it plays get it. Squire really hit that point with the Classic Vibe.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:40 AM

Default Squier Telecaster Classic Vibe

As with nearly everything in life, when it comes to these Classic Vibe Teles the devil is in the details. In researching these guitars, you're likely to find a number of anecdotal reports on qualitative differences between the earlier ones made in China, and those made later in Indonesia.

In short, it seems that the Chinese ones evidence more attention detail in their construction. For example, the Chinese Teles have brass saddles whereas the Indonesian instruments do not. While the majority of available information on these guitars is positive, there are also reports of warped necks, finish flaws and electronics issues. A prospective buyer is best advised to purchase after a hands-on examination or from a seller who offers a return policy.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:58 AM

I own a Chinese one made in around 2014 I think. I bought s/h and unseen.
I've looked with dismay at the new Indonesian CV Teles.

I think the move from the Chinese factory is a step backwards. I also own an Indonesian Vintage Modified Tele and it's much worse than my Chinese CV.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 02-23-2020, 10:53 AM

As above, I wouldn’t recommend purchasing any guitar sight unseen. There are some new spec ones identified by two neck pickup height adjustment screws in the pickguard still being made in China - the other ones of same spec from Indonesia. Decal on the headstock is slightly different, apparently still pine body construction. As with guitars, best to inspect individually for quality - I’ve read at least one detailed report of an Indonesian made one perfect without any flaws.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:18 AM

Assuming it is what it's advertised as I'd say that a worth that.

You mentioned building one from parts. One can do that, but one of the joys of Leo Fender's designs is that his classic designs are Lego kits. Sure it comes built up one way, but parts exchange and hot rodding off an already built guitar is often cheaper and (IMHO) just as much fun. I'd say the biggest advantage of building from parts alone would be iif you'd like to paint or apply other finish coatings yourself.

For example: Don't like the neck? "Bolt on" a new one (screws, but everyone says that). The "complex stuff" only requires a soldering iron. Want to try different pickups? Easy enough. Fancy a different wiring scheme, go to town, it's all out in the open, ready to mod.

Of course many folks hare happy with the Vintage Vibe Tele as it comes.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 02-24-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
The Squier Classic Vibe ‘50s telecaster can be weighty - if around 9lbs it can become neglected over time if you don’t like heavy guitars - weight doesn’t bother some folks, but sometimes it can become an unconscious factor toward not picking it up to play it - in any case, the maple necks and finish quality of the frets on the ones I’ve seen have been top notch, and for the price it’s an unbeatable platform for upgrades - all that said, the stock output jack usually requires upgrade as it often comes loose over time. It’s a five hole pickguard with ashtray bridge and vintage tuners, good pickups so it’s a real Telecaster.
I have two Classic Vibe Teles - a 2010 CV Custom, and a 2009 CV50's Vintage Blonde. Both are fantastic Teles.

However, the CV50's weighed right at 10 lbs! (The CV Custom weighs only 7.2 lbs). So I decided to order a lightweight GFS Daphne Blue Paulownia body for the CV50's, and had my tech swap out the neck and hardware to the GFS body.

Now my CV50's "partscaster" weighs in at 5 lbs 12 oz, and still sounds exactly (to my ears) as it did before!

Old 02-24-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachrunner View Post
I have two Classic Vibe Teles - a 2010 CV Custom, and a 2009 CV50's Vintage Blonde. Both are fantastic Teles.

However, the CV50's weighed right at 10 lbs! (The CV Custom weighs only 7.2 lbs). So I decided to order a lightweight GFS Daphne Blue Paulownia body for the CV50's, and had my tech swap out the neck and hardware to the GFS body.

Now my CV50's "partscaster" weighs in at 5 lbs 12 oz, and still sounds exactly (to my ears) as it did before!

Nice guitars - and your examples go back to the very early days of the Classic Vibe ! - I would expect your Classic Vibe Custom, the double bound beauty sunburst, to appeal to many acoustic guitar players looking for a telecaster in western style (mint green pickguard!), and a nod to the early 1960s Fender original. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Nice guitars - and your examples go back to the very early days of the Classic Vibe ! - I would expect your Classic Vibe Custom, the double bound beauty sunburst, to appeal to many acoustic guitar players looking for a telecaster in western style (mint green pickguard!), and a nod to the early 1960s Fender original. Thanks for sharing.
Right you are - I got these two pretty close to when they first came out. They've both been fantastic Teles.

They both sound great, yet different. The Custom has alnico V pickups (more vintage-sounding - also great for country), and the CV50's has alnico III's - a little hotter, and maybe better for rock. But they both will twang, and pretty much do whatever style you want them to do.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:46 AM

BeachRunner ...... Nice guitars. The Tele with the burst might be the best looking Tele I've ever seen. Stage ready. Sweet.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars