The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-11-2019, 10:33 AM

Default Any L.R. Baggs Session DI fans?

This preamp/DI looks to be the modern offering to the tried and true Para. Not sure why this box wasn't on my radar but I really like what I'm hearing in the reviews and the features make sense to me. I've began to really adopt a less-is-more approach to my stage needs.

So, any of you tried or actively use this, or heard anyone using with great results? I'm guessing the answer is yes.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:45 AM

I have the Session and use it with the Para DI for recording. It is made to work with the Venue or Para because it does need some eq as the Comp/eq knob needs more eq for me. By itself it will get by though. I use the Fishman Platinum Pro EQ for live playing as it has the compressor on a separate knob and a better EQ section, as well as a tuner, effects loop, and DI.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:50 PM

I use a Session DI. It does what it does very well. I use mine live as a DI direct to FOH, or occasionally as a pedal into a Fishman Loudbox with a line out of the Fishman to FOH. It works great in either configuration.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

I find the LR Baggs Session Acoustic DI, when used the way I use it, smooths out, slightly fattens the tone, and adds some touch sensitivity to any acoustic guitar I route through it. It's a subtle but worthwhile addition to a simple signal chain but isn't going to Wow! anyone with any kind of neat noises.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 11-12-2019, 07:26 PM

I owned one and used it often. It works well with the Lyric and USTs. It fattens up the mic sound quite well. I found it unnecessary with the Dazzo so I sold it.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 11-13-2019, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
This preamp/DI looks to be the modern offering to the tried and true Para. Not sure why this box wasn't on my radar but I really like what I'm hearing in the reviews and the features make sense to me. I've began to really adopt a less-is-more approach to my stage needs.

So, any of you tried or actively use this, or heard anyone using with great results? I'm guessing the answer is yes.
The Venue DI is the successor to the PADI. They both allow you to adjust eq and control feedback.

The Session DI features feedback control, compression and saturation effects. No eq adjustments.

If you use the Session and Venue together you'll get all the functionality of the PADI plus saturation and compression.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:06 AM

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. It sounds like people like it but that it isn't a stand alone. I'm guessing if you are playing solo it may be nicer to have some tweakable sound shaping but the idea behind this was to bypass the other pedals in the Align suite and have it down to just this one DI (and rely on the sound engineer to EQ to the room).
Old 11-13-2019, 11:45 AM

I use the Session DI for live gigs and I think it is fantastic. I am a solo performer and my chain is as follows. Eastman E20D --> Behringer Tuner --> TC Harmony Singer 2 --> Baggs Session DI --> Behringer Reverb --> Bose L1 Compact. The pickup I have in my Eastman is the JJB 330 (similar to K&K)

Having the ability to add EQ probably would be great but really everything sounds wonderful. I like the gain control as it is easily visible when it starts clipping and the saturation effect/control is great.
For now it works for me and works great!
Cheers.
2012 Voyage Air VAOM-04
2012 Eastman E20D Sunburst
2013 Simon & Patrick Songsmith Sunburst
2018 PRS SE Custom 24 Tobacco Sunburst
(all lefties )
https://www.facebook.com/KTCalcuttMusic
Old 11-13-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitcher16 View Post
I use the Session DI for live gigs and I think it is fantastic. I am a solo performer and my chain is as follows. Eastman E20D --> Behringer Tuner --> TC Harmony Singer 2 --> Baggs Session DI --> Behringer Reverb --> Bose L1 Compact. The pickup I have in my Eastman is the JJB 330 (similar to K&K)

Having the ability to add EQ probably would be great but really everything sounds wonderful. I like the gain control as it is easily visible when it starts clipping and the saturation effect/control is great.
For now it works for me and works great!
Cheers.
Interesting mitcher. I may get one of these yet but I'm looking at the Align (no Di) but has the guts of the Session. It does sound really good on the videos I've watched.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:39 PM

I actually love it to be honest. Simple plug and play and consistent sound no matter where I am at. I am a strummer for the most part and my guitar sounds wonderful with it. Probably a very solid choice for you.
2012 Voyage Air VAOM-04
2012 Eastman E20D Sunburst
2013 Simon & Patrick Songsmith Sunburst
2018 PRS SE Custom 24 Tobacco Sunburst
(all lefties )
https://www.facebook.com/KTCalcuttMusic
Old 11-14-2019, 08:15 AM

Question about the Session:

I just put an LR Baggs M1A pick-up into my Taylor Big Baby. I know it'll probably have a high and mid tinnyness to it and am looking at DIs to help shape my sound just a bit and get it a little closer toward a more acoustic sound (obviously you're not going to get all the way there). Is the Session DI an option?
Old 11-15-2019, 07:37 AM

I use the session for the effect of it and not the DI. It goes on my chain like a compressor should.

Old 02-25-2020, 03:49 PM

just got one of these....really help to thicken up the sound of an under saddle pickup.

this plus a little reverb and maybe some chorus/delay and you are set
Old 02-25-2020, 04:45 PM

I have the Session DI, and I'm trying to see if the Mic Preamp of the HX Stomp can be a good choice to substitute it. But it seems that it is not the same. Close, but not the same.

I will probably end with a HX Stomp, Session and a Felix in my pedalboard.

2005 Martin HD28 with K&K Trinity;
2012 Cordoba C10;
Grace Design Felix 2;
Sennheiser MD441;
DPA 4099 Core;
DPA 4018L;
Bose L1 Compact;
QSC Touchmix 8;
QSC K10.2;
Neumann u87ai;
Neumann KMS105;
Neumann KM184 (matched pair).

http://www.youtube.com/rodrigopandelo
http://www.rodrigopandelo.com
http://www.instagram.com/rodrigopandelo

São Paulo/Brazil
Old 02-25-2020, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post

I use the Align Series version (no DI) and have found that it's an effect that, although subtle, becomes essential as your ears grow accustomed to what it does. I can certainly tell a major difference when I turn it on or off.

As others have said, it fattens the overall sound and rounds off some edgy frequencies. At the same time, I've found that a little saturation goes a long way. Too much and the low end can get muddy. The comp/eq is a brilliant idea. As I understand it, it's basically a multi-frequency compressor. In other words, it dynamically compresses problem frequencies ranges ... and it works!

I've found that unless you're trying to overcome problems in a particularly bad sounding room, it can take the place of a separate eq. In many situations, a good sounding pickup system plus the Session may be all you need.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification