The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-28-2020, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Default Bourgeois OM - too balanced??

I recently have the opportunity to buy a used Bourgeois OM at a good price and am deliberating. The guitar has a really warm, clear tone, but seems to be almost too balanced if that is possible. I think of a guitar being balanced as a good thing, but I kind of miss the accentuated bass I’ve had in the Martins that I’ve owned. The Bourgeois seems like a higher end version of a Larrivee OM that I once owned and ultimately sold as I couldn’t bond with it. I’m still considering buying the guitar given the price and tonal quality but am a bit stuck given the relative lack of bass. Have others found this to be the case with Bourgeois?
Old 02-28-2020, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

Hi Mike. It's going to be hard to replace that bass biased Martin tone with something other than a Martin. I've been through a lot of OMs by Collings, Martin, and Santa Cruz. All great guitars, and mostly all are gone now because they were not dreads and never will be. And my ears just want that big guitar sound.

Sending you a PM about something we discussed in the recent past...

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 02-28-2020, 10:09 PM

My guess is the Bourgeois is mahogany and the Martin your referring to is rosewood, correct?
Old 02-28-2020, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifivic View Post
My guess is the Bourgeois is mahogany and the Martin your referring to is rosewood, correct?
Yes, the Bourgeois is mahogany, but compared to a 000-18 (also mahogany of course)
Old 02-28-2020, 10:20 PM

I have a Bourgeois Slope D Banjo Killer and a Reimagined D41. Does the Bourgeois have the big bass of the Martin, No......BUT I prefer the fast, punchy, hard hitting bass of the Bourgeois over the boomy, sometimes too much bass of the D41.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 02-28-2020, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Hi Mike. It's going to be hard to replace that bass biased Martin tone with something other than a Martin. I've been through a lot of OMs by Collings, Martin, and Santa Cruz. All great guitars, and mostly all are gone now because they were not dreads and never will be. And my ears just want that big guitar sound.

Sending you a PM about something we discussed in the recent past...

Yeppers...I agree totally with brencat.

I too prefer the bigger more Martin style tone of a dread, 0000M, or Jumbo. Martin style tone being warm and strong and resonant in the bass, with a hint...or more...of "boom" in the bass.

Martin's OM's tend to have that more warm, thicker, bass biased tone, compared to many/most other brands of OM bodies...as brencat alluded to.

You may just be one of the folks...like us...who prefer that tone/timbre. If so, you will not as easily find it...but you can with some effort...outside of the Martin brand.

Don't try to talk yourself around, and thus into a guitar that tonally has you asking the questions you are right now about the Bourgeois. It rarely works out when you go against your gut.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 02-28-2020, 10:27 PM

Yes, Bourgeois' are balanced. I have a rosewood dread without the mid scoop and love it.

I have the same problem with all OM's. They don't have strong personalities. That's both a plus and a minus, depending on what you bring to the table.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:40 PM

Both the Martin 000-18 and rosewood OM is mentioned here, generally speaking - the OM I found to have a big and defined bass, defining a strong tonal foundation which of course, expands to sparkling highs, fingerpicked. I found the 18 deficient in the deep bass department - a midrange prominent instrument with of course, typical sweet trebles. The OM is crystal clear with the right strings, imparting a sense of headroom or space with its defined parameters.
Old 02-28-2020, 11:47 PM

I've had a couple Bourgeois OMs, and both were lovely guitars. However, neither had that "umph" provided by my Martins. If you want a bit fuller sound with more bass, you can't beat some of those Martins.

I'd go back and play it again before buying,
scott
Old 02-28-2020, 11:54 PM
Charter Member

I find that all OMs have some variability. I’ve played OMs from Martin that have a big bass, and some that were leaner. Same with Bourgeois.
Old 02-29-2020, 06:29 AM
Charter Member

I had a 1996 Bourgeois OMC...man it was great! I find the Bourgeois OM’s to be the most balanced, sweetest sounding guitars. Not boomy but super musical. Although I don’t think I’ve ever played an OM that had a lot of bass...Now, my Martin Simpson has tons of focused thump!

2004 John Osthoff AS-C
1992 Taylor (DCSM)Dan Crary Signature Model

Last edited by sevenpalms; 02-29-2020 at 06:36 AM.
Old 02-29-2020, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

I’d say if what you like and are looking for is the scooped unbalanced sound of Martin dreads, then yes, the balanced Bourgeois sound is probably not a good fit. Trust your instincts.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

I had the same issue with my Eastman E20OM-TC. Too balanced not enough bass. I recently traded it for an Eastman dread because it comes closer to the sound of a Martin dread which is what my ears prefer.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:18 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInBethesda View Post
I recently have the opportunity to buy a used Bourgeois OM at a good price and am deliberating. The guitar has a really warm, clear tone, but seems to be almost too balanced if that is possible. I think of a guitar being balanced as a good thing, but I kind of miss the accentuated bass I’ve had in the Martins that I’ve owned. The Bourgeois seems like a higher end version of a Larrivee OM that I once owned and ultimately sold as I couldn’t bond with it. I’m still considering buying the guitar given the price and tonal quality but am a bit stuck given the relative lack of bass. Have others found this to be the case with Bourgeois?
You could always go a little heavier on the wound strings to bring up the bass a bit. It's subtle but its there. Going from a 52 to a 54 or 56 might give you that, but then there is more tension if you're in standard tuning. I'd rather have a balanced guitar and lean on the bass a bit while playing, then the other way around.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-29-2020, 07:23 AM

The lack of bass is a hallmark contrast to any dread. I chose the jumbo concert I have because it does have easier access to bass, if you want it, without digging too hard like you have to do on other concerts. Use of the typically 1mm cellulose thumb pick gives you a lot of control, plus the power to accentuate bass when needed. I can't say the lighter duty thumb picks (Fred Kelly Delrin types) can do that, having used them for a couple years. The latter thumb picks are good for dreads where they can be manipulated effectively to bring out or tone down the bass. Basically, I'm alluding to technique over guitar type as the primary control of tone versus the characteristics of the guitar itself.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion