The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-27-2020, 10:15 PM

Default Anybody have a

Breedlove Oregon Concerto E Myrtlewood - Myrtlewood Acoustic/Electric Guitar

How is it?
I played a small Myrtlewood yesterday. It was great.
Can anyone report in the big one ?
Old 02-27-2020, 10:38 PM

Alas, I do not (own one yet that is). It's on my short list of guitars I'd like to own and just tonight I was viewing some on Reverb. I played one in my local shop last year and I still, to some regard, regret not purchasing it as they have dropped Breedlove so I'll likely not see another soon. Fantastic tone and sharp looking as well. I see one in my future in the next few years. If I'm in Bend in the next year or so, which is very possible, my goal would be to leave with one.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 02-28-2020, 11:09 AM

Do you think this sound has more to do with the Myrtlewood or the way Breedlove builds the guitar?
Old 02-28-2020, 11:39 AM

I briefly owned a Taylor custom factory order grand symphony with myrtlewood back and sides. It was the most exquisite sounding guitar I ever played. I only parted with it because it had a cedar top that couldn't produce the volume I needed at jam sessions. The myrtlewood was very beautiful as well. Wish I still had it a couch guitar!
Old 02-28-2020, 11:45 AM
Custom Guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by whvick View Post
Do you think this sound has more to do with the Myrtlewood or the way Breedlove builds the guitar?
I would say almost certainly the way Breedlove builds the guitar is the major part of how any guitar will sound from them.
Old 02-28-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalekSydon View Post
I would say almost certainly the way Breedlove builds the guitar is the major part of how any guitar will sound from them.
I think that is true of a guitar from any builder. How the guitar is built is more important, to the sound, than the woods being used. They say Martins sound like Martins, Taylors sound like Taylors, Eastmans sound like Eastmans and Gibsons sound like Gibsons, etc. They all use the same woods.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:16 PM

No idea what this one sounds like but it looks awesome.

Mark Twain
Old 02-28-2020, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Sure, I've played the Oregon Series Concertos, as well as pretty much every Oregon Series model. They are ALL made with myrtlewood back and sides (solid) and most have Sitka spruce tops, although the all-myrtlewood models can be found...

Personally, I like the sound that the mytrlewood imparts on the overall tone of the guitars. Having played (and loved) my maple back and sides Angus for 40 years, I've grown quite accustomed to that tone. Myrtle seems to have a little more "going on" with regard to overtones and the "depth" of the tone.

The Concertos are quite different from the Concert size models. The Concert size is the one with which I am most familiar from Breedlove - pretty much a OOO size/shape. The Concerto produces MUCH more bass from just a smallish difference in size; I like them a lot. Much as I try, a OOO/OM/Grand Concert size just feels "small" to me when I'm holding it, playing it in my lap.

The all-myrtlewood guitars are interesting with regards to tone and volume; the first one I played was not anything like I expected! I liked it a lot... the subsequent ones I've played have been more "hit ot miss" than the spruce topped models... you definitely want to play a few of those before buying, I'd say.

For the past couple years, Breedlove has employed a nifty way to frequency-match the resonance of the tops and the backs of their USA builds... I'm very impressed with this methodology; seems that the guitars are even more consistent when using it.

The Oregon Series guitars are wonderful instruments and are fairly consistent with regard to volume and tone, although I would still recommend playing the one you want to buy before purchasing.

Be aware that Breedlove makes a BUNCH of different guitar models; the ones made overseas are normally laminate back and sides with solid tops, and 99% of them will have nut widths of 1 11/16ths. The new Organic Series guitars are made overseas, but have all solid wood construction.

The American made guitars are all solid woods, regardless of price point, and a high % of them will have 1 3/4" nuts. If the guitar is older than 3 or 4 years, it will most likely have the JLD Bridge Truss system in it (not the Oregon or USA models).

Breedlove is getting more well-known, but they are still the "sleeper", so far as price point goes... in general, they seem to be 1/2 to 2/3s the price of comparable Martins or Taylors...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 02-28-2020, 02:20 PM

I just ordered a Breedlove Pursuit Exotic Concert Myrtlewood - Myrtlewood 12-String Acoustic.It has solid top and back and sides,I believe,even tho its one of their imports.It should be delivered by mid week,if I can believe the tracking info.I had purchased a used Breedlove 12 string import a couple weeks ago,it had an incredible tone for a lower end acoustic.After about a week the pinless bridge exploded,split right along the line where the strings were held.I was able to get a refund so I put that towards a brand new one.I was quite impressed with Breedloves customer service.I had been in touch with the repair dept manager at Breedlove about an issue with the action on the used one.When I sent her a picture of the exploded bridge she offered to send me a new bridge for free.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:03 PM

I had not noticed the painless bridge... not comfy with that...physics says no no.
Deal breaker for me.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:09 AM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
I had not noticed the painless bridge... not comfy with that...physics says no no.
Deal breaker for me.
You meant "pinless", right?
Former AGF Moderator
Old 02-29-2020, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Deal breaker for me.
I would think it's more important to look at failure rates. A pinless bridge design doesn't have the pins helping to support the load, but that won't be a problem if the bridge is designed/installed properly, and if people don't use heavier gage strings than recommended. There are other manufacturers that use pinless bridges. As I understand it, Taylor used to but stopped in order to reduce manufacturing costs. I've not heard that Breedlove bridges fail more often than others, but would be interested to hear if that's the case since I now have a Breedlove Premier .

I like the cleaner look of Breedlove's pinless bridge. I know others that don't. Some think its easier to change strings on them. Others don't. Seems it's mostly a matter of personal preference.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:11 AM

Default Breedlove Oregon Concerto Myrtle/Myrtle

I have a Oregon Concerto Myrtle/Myrtle, a Oregon Concertina Myrtle/Myrtle and a Oregon Concert CE Myrtle/Sitka. All of these will soon appear in the classified section as due to a neck injury I am no longer able to play.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:51 PM

Sorry to hear you're hurt. There are neck injuries... and then there are neck injuries. Here's to hoping you've still got more use of your extremities and not less.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:16 PM

No, but I have a

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion