The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-25-2020, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
Buy the D-28. You're not going to be happy with anything else. I love the Gibson tone, but you can't turn one into a Martin no matter how much you want to.
Not even if I write the word "Martin" in magic marker on the thing?
Old 02-26-2020, 09:44 AM

I owned a D-28, a Gibson Songwriter DLX and a J-29 at the same time. I considered the Songwriter to be the closest to the sound of the D-28. They sounded similar, but not quite the same. The Martin having more bass and more rosewood type depth to the sound. The J-29 had a more Gibson type sound, more like a rosewood J-45. Hope this helps some with the OP's original question...
Old 02-26-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasinaz View Post
I owned a D-28, a Gibson Songwriter DLX and a J-29 at the same time. I considered the Songwriter to be the closest to the sound of the D-28. They sounded similar, but not quite the same. The Martin having more bass and more rosewood type depth to the sound. The J-29 had a more Gibson type sound, more like a rosewood J-45. Hope this helps some with the OP's original question...
Thanks; it helps a lot!

May I ask, which one did you like the best? Which one did you keep?

Last edited by Troubador; 02-26-2020 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:12 PM

Play them all till one speaks to you and get that one. Like some others have already said, it will be much, much cheaper in the long run to not settle for something that is almost what you wanted. Get what you want to start with and be done.
‘20 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird reissue
‘16 Gibson Hummingbird Avant Guard (gigging guitar)

Note to self: Never play a guitar you aren’t willing to buy.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlee7 View Post
Play them all till one speaks to you and get that one. Like some others have already said, it will be much, much cheaper in the long run to not settle for something that is almost what you wanted. Get what you want to start with and be done.
I know you're right. Problem is, I have a limited budget and limited income. But if I could sell the guitars I have which are not quite what I want, I'd be well on my way to getting what I want -- when I find it.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:27 PM

I'm a Martin guy but I was in GC one day and a guy was there looking for a Gibson Songwriter that was on sale there.
He heard me playing and liked what I was doing and asked me to play the same thing on the Gibson.

I was happy to help him and played the Gibson.
It was the first time that I have ever played a Songwriter.
I was very surprised at how good it sounded. It was a close match to a D-28 in total sound.
While they both had their own sound, both were very nice.
I could not pick a winner but he did.
With the sale price on the Songwriter, it was a no brainer for him.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
Not even if I write the word "Martin" in magic marker on the thing?
You're also gonna have to erase that burst.
Old 02-27-2020, 07:07 AM

If you haven’t played either of these guitars and are only going by You Tube videos a hands on experience is definitely in order. Google search for stores in your area that have either or both, make a planned field trip and play them.

I have played both the D-28 and Gibson Songwriter. They are a bit similar and really wonderful instruments. I find the Martin is more bass dominant the Gibson more balanced. Only you will know what you like the sound of once you have played them. Don’t ignore the used market especially right here on AGF, good way to save money. The majority of guitars in the signature below were purchased used.
Old 02-27-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
The one that was (or is) a deliberate attempt by Gibson to attract some of the players whose normal choice would be a Martin D-28 would be the J-60 in rosewood. Those have never made much of a dent in the marketplace, however, and Gibson has only ever made that model on an occasional and sporadic basis.

I did own a walnut J-60 for a while and still own an Advanced Jumbo. The AJ might appeal to some D-28 fans, as it’s more Martinesque than most Gibsons. But in terms of which commonly available Gibson comes close, to my ears it’s unquestionably the Songwriter series guitars. They’re square-shouldered rosewood dreadnoughts.

They have Gibson’s long scale, and their bracing pattern is the same as what’s in the AJ.

But the square shoulders of the Songwriter do have an impact on the tone, and it isn’t the same sort of tone as an AJ.

So that’s why I nominate one or the other of the various Songwriter models as the closest Gibsons to a D-28 that you’re likely to find at your friendly local Gibson dealership.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
I would agree with this. I have owned a J45 a Hummingbird a Songwriter and a D28 Marquis and in my opinion the Songwriter would be the nearest to the D28 and If you find a good one a fabulous guitar.
D45 Replica in open D
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster
Marshall AS50D Amp.
Line 6 Amplifi 30
Blackstar HT1R Tube Amp
DigiTech JamMan Stereo Looper Pedal
Old 02-27-2020, 07:34 PM

The most martin sounding gibson I have played was a rosewood B/S J60. It was an incredible guitar and one of the loudest I have ever played.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:30 PM

Isn't the Songwriter in the vid a studio, and aren't studio's thinner guitars, therefore having less base?
Old 02-27-2020, 10:16 PM

I had a j45 custom rosewood and a d28 at the same time and they sounded really similar
Gibson Nick Lucas L 100 Maple

Quantity and quality of my guitars should not be seen as indicative of the quality of my playing ability
Old 02-28-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralDreedle View Post
I had a j45 custom rosewood and a d28 at the same time and they sounded really similar
Did you prefer one over the other?
Old 02-28-2020, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
Did you prefer one over the other?
I traded in the Gibson J45 for a Southern Jumbo, but they were both great guitars
Gibson Nick Lucas L 100 Maple

Quantity and quality of my guitars should not be seen as indicative of the quality of my playing ability
Old 03-01-2020, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibpicker View Post
Isn't the Songwriter in the vid a studio, and aren't studio's thinner guitars, therefore having less base?
Yes, it is a Studio; thanks for pointing that out. And I did find that in the demos I heard of the Studio, I didn't like it as much as the Standard. Now if I could just find a demo comparison of the D-28 and the Standard.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion