The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-18-2020, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Default Installing K&K pure mini on Seagull S6

Quick question,

Has anyone installed a K&K pure mini on a Seagull S6? Any issues I should consider before doing so (such as bracing in the way of perfect placement etc?).

Thanks,

Robin
Old 02-18-2020, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

I have the K&K Mini in all of my guitars but I have my luythier/tech do the installs. I doubt you'll encounter any bracing issues. The only problem I heard of was a bridge plate that was too narrow to accommodate the three 15mm disc's. It's rare but can happen. I'm not familiar with the Seagull guitars so I can't say for sure but I bet you'll be fine. Maybe someone who has done it will chime in? Best of luck!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-18-2020, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Quick question,

Has anyone installed a K&K pure mini on a Seagull S6? Any issues I should consider before doing so (such as bracing in the way of perfect placement etc?).

Thanks,

Robin
Hi R, W

I've never installed a K&K, but I had one installed in my S6 and have seen plenty of other Seagull S6 guitars with K&Ks in them. I know the local 'installer' and he's never complained of any issues with them.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-18-2020, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for your replies,

It looks pretty straightforward and sounds as if there are no show stoppers on an S6, so I'll get one ordered.

Robin
Old 02-18-2020, 06:45 PM
Musical minimalist

I've never heard of any steel strings that don't have enough room on the plate for the mini - there could be.

One trick I learned - just take a piece of paper and push it up into the bridge plate so there are creases around the edges/braces/pin holes. When you pull it out you'll easily be able to see if there's room.

Old 02-18-2020, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I've never heard of any steel strings that don't have enough room on the plate for the mini - there could be.

One trick I learned - just take a piece of paper and push it up into the bridge plate so there are creases around the edges/braces/pin holes. When you pull it out you'll easily be able to see if there's room.
Hi f1

I have a Bashkin OM with fanned frets and it would have been too tight to do the new spacing (which K&K started recommending around 2010). It was super tight in the old recommendation. My Bashkin has a smaller-than-usual bridge plate.

I think there's room to play there anyway. The Seagull S6 has no issues.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 02-29-2020 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:34 AM
Charter Member

Quick Update,

I have fitted the K&K pure mini to my Seagull S6. There was plenty of room on the bridge plate for the elements.

I followed the instruction booklet to the letter (including using a 12mm forstner bit for the jack plug, and recommended gel superglue for installation rather than tape) and I'm getting a nice strong and balanced signal across the strings. The installation is a little complex (but achievable), and I did practice each stage; including testing the p/u elements before fitting and drilling a piece of scrap wood to double check the forstner bit was sharp and matched the jack size. It was worth reading all the way through the instruction book before starting because there are some tips for installation later in the leaflet you would miss if you just sequentially followed the instructions.

The installation instructions are available on the K&K website so you can read them before buying the pick-up to decide if it's a job for you or a guitar tech.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post

There's at least one Martin model that has a small bridge plate (I seem to remember it being an OM?) that technically is too small for the K&K Pure Mini recommended installation. It has come up several times in discussions here.

I remember that users had to leave a portion of each transducer hanging over the bridge plate to install them.
Old 02-25-2020, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

I just installed a JJB in my Martin Road Series using this method;

https://guitarbear.wordpress.com/201...-prestige-330/

I did use two chopsticks instead of using my bridge pins to line it up and it worked like a dream. I did a dry run without the pickup. Then used bluetack to and did another dry run. Then put the super glue gel on the sensors and stuck them in place.

It worked like a dream. I think it's easier to do all at once than doing them separately.

It sounds great through my Fishman Loudbox Mini. I couldn't be happier. Soon I'll do the same in my CS J-17.
Old 02-28-2020, 05:32 PM

A bit off topic but I have a K&K in my Larrivee OM-03. I usually only use that guitar at home so I really have never taken much time to play around with the pickup. In my Taylor however, I have easily tried ten different pickups but never the K&K (not sure why). Long story short, I played the Larrivee today and the K&K really is a fantastic pickup. It has a nice woody and warm tone and really reacts well to dynamic playing. I am definitely putting one in my Taylor. I think it will also be a great match for that guitar as it has a brighter tone.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
A bit off topic but I have a K&K in my Larrivee OM-03. I usually only use that guitar at home so I really have never taken much time to play around with the pickup. In my Taylor however, I have easily tried ten different pickups but never the K&K (not sure why). Long story short, I played the Larrivee today and the K&K really is a fantastic pickup. It has a nice woody and warm tone and really reacts well to dynamic playing. I am definitely putting one in my Taylor. I think it will also be a great match for that guitar as it has a brighter tone.
Hi Petty

I had a Taylor 714ce (Rosewood/Cedar top) which my gigging partner bought from me 18 years ago (it's now 21 yrs old). He put in a K&K and it sounds great. I've heard plenty of Taylors with K&K Pure Mini in them and they sound nice.

All pickups have characteristics (limitations and strengths) and my first thought if I'm mixing and someone shows up with a K&K and no preamp is, loan them a preamp, trim the bass and low mids, and boost the trebles slightly.

I don't do that without listening to the guitar through the system, but that tends to be the 'treatment' that is a given as a start point. I also find the K&K Pure mini pretty forgiving. They sound very acoustic-like in most guitars through most PA systems.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 02-29-2020, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Petty

I had a Taylor 714ce (Rosewood/Cedar top) which my gigging partner bought from me 18 years ago (it's now 21 yrs old). He put in a K&K and it sounds great. I've heard plenty of Taylors with K&K Pure Mini in them and they sound nice.

All pickups have characteristics (limitations and strengths) and my first thought if I'm mixing and someone shows up with a K&K and no preamp is, loan them a preamp, trim the bass and low mids, and boost the trebles slightly.

I don't do that without listening to the guitar through the system, but that tends to be the 'treatment' that is a given as a start point. I also find the K&K Pure mini pretty forgiving. They sound very acoustic-like in most guitars through most PA systems.

Thank you! I definitely feel as though the K&K will really match my Taylor well. I am also going to use the Tonedexter. I tend to set the blend a bit lower than most but if it can add a bit more of a mic-like quality then I will be happy.

I find when I do use my Larrivee, I approach the eq the same way. I tend to like a boomy bass so I often leave that but I definitely cut some mids and boost the treble a bit.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:31 PM

Installed a set in my S6. Easy and sounds great.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Quick Update,

I have fitted the K&K pure mini to my Seagull S6. There was plenty of room on the bridge plate for the elements.

I followed the instruction booklet to the letter (including using a 12mm forstner bit for the jack plug, and recommended gel superglue for installation rather than tape) and I'm getting a nice strong and balanced signal across the strings. The installation is a little complex (but achievable), and I did practice each stage; including testing the p/u elements before fitting and drilling a piece of scrap wood to double check the forstner bit was sharp and matched the jack size. It was worth reading all the way through the instruction book before starting because there are some tips for installation later in the leaflet you would miss if you just sequentially followed the instructions.

The installation instructions are available on the K&K website so you can read them before buying the pick-up to decide if it's a job for you or a guitar tech.
Hello, just curious how you like the plugged in tone of your Seagull with the K&K. I'm looking for a new gigging guitar and the Seagull was recommended and I already have the k&k I'm my Martin and love it because it has a full warm tone after cutting some of the mids.

Not sure how different it sounds in different guitars. Thanks
Old 10-31-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejetay View Post
Hello, just curious how you like the plugged in tone of your Seagull with the K&K. I'm looking for a new gigging guitar and the Seagull was recommended and I already have the k&k I'm my Martin and love it because it has a full warm tone after cutting some of the mids.

Not sure how different it sounds in different guitars. Thanks

It sounds great for what it is. I wouldn’t invest in anything more expensive because it’s sort of that price range, but for a beater gigging guitar it would work great. Sounds better than the K&K I put in my Taylor which I’m currently having some trouble with.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification