The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-28-2020, 02:37 PM

I'm sorry to hear of your loss, and glad to hear you're doing the right thing in getting checked out.

I've known 2 seemingly healthy, young-ish guys in the last several years to die from sudden massive heart attacks. Both looked healthy and were fit nonsmokers. One was 51; the other was 50, wiry-thin, and keeled over while doing his daily workout one morning. They both had fathers who had died young, which seems to be a major risk factor. Both looked healthy, but from what their widows have said it seems neither got regular checkups that might have alerted them to a problem.

Again, sorry for your loss.

Last edited by cmd612; 02-28-2020 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
Heartbreaking loss.

...so I’m getting a heart CT scan...
Sorry to hear about your friend.

I had one of those "heart scans" some months ago. IIRC, it scans for calcium buildup in the veins/arteries. I had some, so my doc suggested a full stress test, echo test, four tests in all. Took about half a day.

Went to talk to a cardiologist for the results. He said everything tested out "normal" and said I didn't even have to come back for a 6-month or 1-year follow-up appointment.

OK, good to hear!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 02-29-2020, 09:58 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd612 View Post
I'm sorry to hear of your loss, and glad to hear you're doing the right thing in getting checked out.

I've known 2 seemingly healthy, young-ish guys in the last several years to die from sudden massive heart attacks. Both looked healthy and were fit nonsmokers. One was 51; the other was 50, wiry-thin, and keeled over while doing his daily workout one morning. They both had fathers who had died young, which seems to be a major risk factor. Both looked healthy, but from what their widows have said it seems neither got regular checkups that might have alerted them to a problem.

Again, sorry for your loss.
Sorry for the loss of your friend, horse, and good that you’re getting yourself checked out.

The part I highlighted in the quote is likely the main reason why too many men die too young. I’m in my mid-60s and I’m not shy to bring up the subject of men’s health with my friends. I’ve had five colonoscopies since my late 40s where the first time some pre-cancerous polyps were removed. Each time since, I’ve had polyps, but none were pre-cancerous. I have regular prostate checks as well.

Among ALL my closer friends who I’ve talked with about this, NONE have ever had a colonoscopy. They are the same about other men’s issues such as prostate. They don’t go for checkups. I’m in Canada where there is no cost to such testing or treatment, so I just don’t get it. Every man needs to be proactive about their health care no matter which country they reside, especially when reaching age 50. The potential consequences are too great...including for the families left behind.
Old 02-29-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Sorry for the loss of your friend, horse, and good that you’re getting yourself checked out.

The part I highlighted in the quote is likely the main reason why too many men die too young. I’m in my mid-60s and I’m not shy to bring up the subject of men’s health with my friends. I’ve had five colonoscopies since my late 40s where the first time some pre-cancerous polyps were removed. Each time since, I’ve had polyps, but none were pre-cancerous. I have regular prostate checks as well.

Among ALL my closer friends who I’ve talked with about this, NONE have ever had a colonoscopy. They are the same about other men’s issues such as prostate. They don’t go for checkups. I’m in Canada where there is no cost to such testing or treatment, so I just don’t get it. Every man needs to be proactive about their health care no matter which country they reside, especially when reaching age 50. The potential consequences are too great...including for the families left behind.
Something is going on with men these days not watching out for their health - I’m one of those guys who abhors sitting in the waiting room of a doctors office - last time I saw a doctor it was more than 10 years ago, and that particular doctor died shortly after I saw him of a massive heart attack in a parking lot after work. Maybe I haven’t seen a doctor for so long because the last procedure I had was a prostate check, dry delivery needle right through you know where (front genital) - I tried to hold back on the screams but the ladies outside in reception were a bit startled. I can’t tell you how many customers I have who are widows living in comfortable homes long after the husband died, many suddenly.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:18 PM

Wanted to update you all. I had the CT calcium scoring done at Ohio State. My results were bad, very bad. A score of 735.

Mind you, I’m fit, I play tennis 3 days a week. In the summer, in the heat I play about 2 hours every few days. Never out of breath, Never any chest pain. Only in the past 2 weeks have I felt any tightness in my upper chest area. I have also not had elevated cholesterol.

I thought for sure I would have a low score. Two of my friends had the test. One scored 0, the other 44. Another had a score of 606 and upon further testing he had a triple bypass.

Next week I go in for a nuclear stress test. Depending on that result I’ll have a heart catheterization.

I’m floored and depressed, trying to stay positive.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

I’m glad you had the test and got ahead of this. The reality doesn’t change, but the outcome may. Good for you & keep us posted. Good luck Horse.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Wanted to update you all. I had the CT calcium scoring done at Ohio State. My results were bad, very bad. A score of 735.

Mind you, I’m fit, I play tennis 3 days a week. In the summer, in the heat I play about 2 hours every few days. Never out of breath, Never any chest pain. Only in the past 2 weeks have I felt any tightness in my upper chest area. I have also not had elevated cholesterol.

I thought for sure I would have a low score. Two of my friends had the test. One scored 0, the other 44. Another had a score of 606 and upon further testing he had a triple bypass.

Next week I go in for a nuclear stress test. Depending on that result I’ll have a heart catheterization.

Wishing you the best. Glad you caught it now.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 03-05-2020, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Horse,
Thanks for the update, even though the news ain’t optimal. As Paul points out, you’ve acted in a timely manner. Now, wait for more tests and more data points. Then, move forward.

Genetics sometimes come back to bite us, even when we eat and act wisely.

It’s understandable to be depressed and a bit in shock. The first day after receiving bad medical news is really tough.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 03-05-2020, 02:58 PM

Very sad to hear of your loss and more especially his family’s loss.
Unfortunately, this happens all too often. I have actually witnessed two people I knew have heart attacks right in front of me, both died before the ambulance left the driveways. Both were men in their late fifties, both were friends of mine.
It’s a wake up call. I think of both of them often.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-05-2020, 03:32 PM

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. Tough times. Sure glad you are taking all the right steps to ‘stay ahead of the game’. All the best.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 03-05-2020, 05:28 PM

Thanks for the update. The best news is you know what’s going on and can at least proceed with whatever it takes to address it.
Do the best you can to remain positive. As hard as that is right now it’s helpful mentally and physically.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-05-2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
I'm another one of those people that had absolutely no symptoms of heart disease.
And so am I.

Quote:

You should be excited and happy. I went for checking a digestion problem and the docs, out of the blue, decided to check my heart function. Catheterization is a PIECE OF CAKE, and it saved my life. It's the BEST way to determine heart condition and function. I came away with a diagnosis ("...would have killed you in about 90 days"), a stent, two atherectomies, a statin prescription, and absolutely no side effects or negative effects.

After these procedures, I was absolutely paranoid/terrified that I would kill myself somehow due to the fragility of the stent, consequential effects of the procedures, etc. Absolute baloney. Best thing I ever did. I play racket sports three days a week, routinely bike 20 miles at speed, play golf, fish, and walk miles without any problem. Get fixed up, take your medicine, and go have fun.

Forgot to mention...that was 12 years ago. My doctors gave me 12 years of having fun and being with friends and family, and still going.....sincerely hope you are getting the message I'm sending. It is all positive for me.
Old 03-05-2020, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Hang in there, man. You're being proactive and you'll take whatever next steps you need to ... that's all you can do.

Got you in our prayers.

~ Paul
Old 03-05-2020, 06:10 PM

Good thing you got checked out. Best wishes, amigo.

2005 Gibson J-45
1985 Guild D17
2012 Fender Am. Std. Stratocaster
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Old 06-15-2020, 08:49 PM

Exclamation

Thought I would give an update. After my coronary artery scan showing I am in the absolute worst percentile, and in imminent danger, my family practice doc immediately sent me in for a nuclear stress test.

This is the Robert Bruce treadmill with the nuclear die at the same time. Cardiologist immediately to my right and a nurse administering the nuclear dye to my left. Cardiologist told me numerous times, “if you feel any chest pain, let us know and we will stop immediately.” Told me few can finish the full stress test and at age 65 to just do what I could. Most quit at the 5 minute mark.

I completed the entire stress test with no problem. He kept asking me....are you ok? I would say...yes, do you see something on the screen! He would respond, no....just checking. When I finished, he told me that few finish, and very few at my age. In fact, I was his first at my age. He said he is not the nuclear cardiologist who will do the final reading, but he saw zero abnormalities.

The next day, the report showed negative. Highly unusual to have a proven high calcified plaque in my coronary arteries with no blockage. So, sent to a cardiologist.

Mind you.....I have always had normal cholesterol levels! So my FP said I was bullet proof. And why bother paying for a heart scan. The cardiologist said, cholesterol is really not the marker for coronary heart disease, metabolic syndrome......insulin resistance is! He was right! Over the past 12 years I had slowly put on 20 pounds. I was eating myself into insulin resistance and that plays havoc on your arteries!

So, I went on a Mediterranean diet the second week of March. I have lost without trying.....24lbs as of today. I believe I have reversed my insulin resistance. I am now on a statin a baby aspirin and a beta blocker. I have never ever been on any meds in my life.

Since March, I have googled tons of information on a high calcium heart score. I on a whim, emailed some of the top cardiologists in the world that did these clinical trials. To my surprise, 3 of them have emailed me numerous times! Hopefully I have reduced my risk factor by controlling my inflammation factors. I still play tennis 4 times a week, with no issues.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic