The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-27-2020, 01:25 PM

Default best capo to use with CF (Emerald)?

not sure if anyone has had a similar experience: when i use a kyser-style (spring-loaded) inexpensive capo, i get some unintended overtones and more fretbuzz than i am used to with my wooden guitars. does anyone notice this as well? is there a different type of capo that seems to work best with CF (or in my specific case, Emerald X30)?
Old 02-27-2020, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

I have several Kyser capos, and have noticed when the spring gets tired, some buzzes may come. My suggestion is to get a new one...in a different color.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:57 PM

I’m a Thalia man. I saw at one point they even had them customized for Emerald customers.

https://emeraldguitars.com/2017/09/2...guitars-capos/
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 02-27-2020, 02:16 PM

I used a cheap D'Addario NS screw type on my Emerald a few nights ago and it worked perfectly.
Old 02-27-2020, 03:18 PM

I am an Elliot Capos guy.... expensive but the last you will need to buy!!
https://elliottcapo.com/shop/category.aspx?catid=6
Old 02-27-2020, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

I don't believe there's any such thing as a capo that's 'best for CF' - they'll either work, or they won't.

I'm very happy with the G7th Performance 3 on my X20.

I've also used a 'traditional' Shubb, and a couple of D'Addarios - an NS, and a Tri-Action, and the G7th edges them all out just for sheer ease of use.

Plus, it works really well on just about every other guitar I own - the ART feature is the bee's knees, and the mutt's nuts
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-27-2020, 06:06 PM

Pick your favorite. Should work just fine.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 02-27-2020, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpharm View Post
not sure if anyone has had a similar experience: when i use a kyser-style (spring-loaded) inexpensive capo, i get some unintended overtones and more fretbuzz than i am used to with my wooden guitars. does anyone notice this as well? is there a different type of capo that seems to work best with CF (or in my specific case, Emerald X30)?
In case you’re not aware, Thalia uses inserts that will optimally fit for your specific guitar. In theory there should never be any issues.

Having said this, I personally have never had any issues with generic fit ones either.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 02-27-2020, 08:48 PM

I am using a G7th Performance 3 on my X20. It works well, and I like how compact it is. It does need a little adjustment/extra tightening every once in a while.

I was using a cheap spring type before, and I found that once I got above the 5th fret my hand would hit the handle of the capo.

I don’t think any of this is carbon fiber dependent.

Jeff
Old 02-27-2020, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
I’m a Thalia man. I saw at one point they even had them customized for Emerald customers.

https://emeraldguitars.com/2017/09/2...guitars-capos/

When I bought my X20 I went straight to Thalia’s website to see if I could find a matching capo in black carbon fiber. So far no luck. I’d pay a pretty penny to have an Emerald/Thalia capo!
Old 02-27-2020, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

I'm with DavidE: I use a D'Addario NS tri-action; works on all my guitars. For full disclosure, I don't use a capo often, but when I do, I want it to sound good. This one works for me.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:47 AM

thanks for the replies - i think i will try the G7th performance first. Thalia looks like a nice upgrade down the line.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:24 AM

I have a new G7th and it's finicky to use with my Emerald. Specifically, sometimes I have to give it an extra squeeze to keep my strings from buzzing.
My favorite no-fuss capo is the Shubb.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:39 AM

I'm kind of a capo junkie..

Thalias are very well made, (I have 2) The tuning pads that match the fret board radius are issued with each capo and they avialble for a bunch of necks.

They offer both a rubber and teflon pads.

Overall They are bit on the heavy side just to call that out. The rubber pads that protect the back of the neck can come unglued tho, something to keep an eye on. If that pad falls off, the clamp may damage the finish on the neck.

Kysers always work in a pinch. If the guitar is setup well, nut sluts cut properly etc, these work like the dickens.

I like Kysers offering of partial capos too. Drop D, Double Drop D and their short cut capos are like my acoustic guitars secret weapons.

The only thing I've gotten in the habit of is tugging the strings a bit after putting them on, they are tight and with guitars large (Jumbo) frets, could put a bit too much grip in the strings.

The NS capo is good, and is long enough to support 12 string and classical guitars with wider necks. But it takes time to seat it and turn the lock wheel to get it in place. So if SPEED is a need, when changing positions, this would not be the one to go for.

G7th Newports are good, and reasonably priced, their 12 string capo works perfectly on my Guild 12 Jumbo.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:40 AM

I also have a bunch of different capos, my favorite overall is probably a Shubb as it's tiny and doesn't interfere as much with your fretting hand. Since you specially mentioned Emerald's I now mostly use the Donner DC-2 with them as the color matches the cosmo black tuners really well. Only $10 cad off Amazon as well. Don't be fooled by the price they're great capos and I play with a capo a lot so it gets tons of use. Here's a link:

https://www.amazon.ca/Donner-DC-2-El...JG16F9G3YBYBFV

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber