The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-18-2020, 10:43 PM

Default Neck "minor warping"

Hello

I recently bought a "new to me" guitar and am having a very reputable guitar tech fix a couple of things (remove/reglue bridge, put in new saddle and nut, minor fret work, install strap button, and set-up).

I chatted with my guy and he said that the neck of the guitar has minor warp (I think that is the word he used). He said it is not as big a deal as it sounds and that it can be fixed by hanging the guitar by neck in properly humidified environment. Of course, it won't fix immediately, but it should get back to normal and would require adjustment once it does.

I bought a hanging guitar stand (Hamilton KB38) to start the healing process when I get my baby back.

Pics
https://photos.app.goo.gl/SYxRnDxammm9xkv67

I totally trust this tech (been a fan/customer for several years) and he has credentials to boot.

I'll be meeting up with him this weekend and will discuss further with him, but in the meantime anyone have thoughts on how to avoid this from happening and how long hanging a guitar can help straighten warped neck.

Thanks!
Hamilton

Larrivee D-03
Larrivee LV-03
Larrivee P-01
Simon & Patrick Woodland Pro Folk
Old 02-18-2020, 10:50 PM

I would agree a minor warp is not a big deal and very common.

I dis-agree that hanging a guitar by its neck will rectify it - sorry that is just funny.

Typically your neck strung up has around 120 odd pounds of tension being exerted along the guitar necks length, this makes it do some funny things like a minor fretboard warp, hanging a 10 pound guitar by its neck is not going to reverse any issues caused by 120 pounds of tension

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 02-19-2020, 02:27 PM

Thanks Steve for the comforting words about it not being a big deal. I do hope that you are incorrect about the potential fix, but can see your point.

Blessings!
Old 02-22-2020, 01:24 PM

I got back my Larrivee D-03 and upon first reunion, I am very happy with results. Tech explained "twist" and showed me what to look for. I thought I saw it at the shop, but comparing with other guitars at home and I'm not sure I see twist. Anyways, playability seems to be dialed in nicely, but could be first strum excitement. We'll see how she plays in the next couple of weeks.

All things being equal and coming from novice player, I would say that slight twist is OK.

If you have thoughts on what to keep an eye out for regarding twist or if you have opinion of slight twist and playability, please share and provide some background on why you think so.

Thanks and Blessings!!!
Old 02-22-2020, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
I would agree a minor warp is not a big deal and very common.

I dis-agree that hanging a guitar by its neck will rectify it - sorry that is just funny.

Typically your neck strung up has around 120 odd pounds of tension being exerted along the guitar necks length, this makes it do some funny things like a minor fretboard warp, hanging a 10 pound guitar by its neck is not going to reverse any issues caused by 120 pounds of tension

Steve
Typical light gauge string sets exert closer to 160 lbs of force; medium gauge over 180 lbs.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikpearson View Post
Typical light gauge string sets exert closer to 160 lbs of force; medium gauge over 180 lbs.
Appreciate the clarification, depending on the scale length, the tuning, the type of instrument, string tension can vary anywhere from 84 - 300 pounds.

For ref: in the OP's original post, no idea what type of guitar they were referring too, the picture link was not working for me.

Since its pointed out, I guess I should also clarify that an acoustic guitar does not way 10 pounds, more like 4, but an electric is more like 10, and a P bass up around the 14 pounds , but the OP understood the point of my message..

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

Last edited by mirwa; 02-23-2020 at 02:45 AM.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamcha View Post

I chatted with my guy and he said that the neck of the guitar has minor warp (I think that is the word he used). He said it is not as big a deal as it sounds and that it can be fixed by hanging the guitar by neck in properly humidified environment. Of course, it won't fix immediately, but it should get back to normal and would require adjustment once it does.
I'm in Mirwa's camp; hanging a guitar seems to be nothing compared to the tension generated by strings. Get this advice keeps popping up. Why?

One friend is repeating advice NOT to store his guitar in its case because guy at music store told him that would warp his neck, and always use a hanger or hanging stand. Which makes zero sense.
Old 02-24-2020, 12:35 PM

The "hanging" method for fixing probably won't do anything for the guitar unless the instrument is very heavy. The pull of the strings, which is presently helping to hold the twist, has to be defeated. Reverse pressure is necessary to straighten a twist, and there are several methods on Youtube.

Severity of the twist is a concern. I have an old Epiphone with a twisted neck that I practice on. The twist just isn't that bad, and doesn't (yet) need fixing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair