The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-09-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracerbullet View Post
That’s the one I picked up. I really like the tweed brown

Now that I've broken the 12" Cannabis Rex speaker in, it sounds sooooo creamy and smooth. Fantastic amp!
Old 02-09-2020, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Ha ! we need anew acronym

Accidental Over Budget Amp
LOL, if there's one thing we guitarists are good at it's coming up with new acronyms ... AOBA.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:40 PM

Default Regarding the Crate VCs

I also have a Crate VC-50...these are very nice amps for the money and possibly the only thing Crate ever made that was worth considering.

They aren't without their problems, but if you can get one cheap enough it isn't too hard to sort them out. One of the things I did NOT like about them was the fact that their input jacks are mounted to the PCB and are poor quality...I had those replaced with good quality jacks properly mounted on the faceplate, re-tubed, re-capped the amp...sounds great and is very reliable now. I also had an external speaker jack installed.

The only other thing I'd like to do would be to mount the chassis in a separate front-facing head/cab, as I'm not real keen on the chassis being mounted to the rear baffle. For one thing, it gets really, REALLY HOT like this. I also like being able to access the preamp tubes, of which there are four, in order to try the different tubes in different positions, V1, V2, V3, etc.

Even with these items addressed, you can be all-in for well south of $300.00.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 02-13-2020, 05:02 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
Totally ambivalent about most solid state amps, I've always preferred to play tubes onstage.

In just about half a century of performing with various rock cover bands, I've played through many combos, vintage and otherwise - Fender, Mesa, Carvin, Orange, Vox, Peavey... and a 50W Marshall combo I returned to Guitar Center because it sounded muddy on the "distortion channel" no matter which guitar I used. Every one of those amps sounded "almost okay," but I often had knobs turned fully one way or the other, wishing I could get just a little bit more, or less, of whatever they controlled.

I finally discovered the Crate Vintage Club combo amp series (all tube amps), with very pleasing tone, volume and adjustable growl. More than a few self-labeled "brand-nazis" have approached me between sets to rave about the sounds of my Crate VC2110, VC3112, and VC5310 combos (I always took off the name plates so people would wonder - fun).

Most pleasing given how little I paid for the amps, my satisfaction with how they performed, and lots of extremely positive feedback.

YMMV
I really like your last line. I've recently received positive feedback from a well respected guitar player. It makes it all worth it. Very rewarding to me. I may be taking it more personally than you but remember this.... If they tell you your AMP sounds great, it's okay to take that personally. I mean, it's your GUITAR that speaks through the amp. Ha.!! And it's YOUR FINGERS that speak to the guitar.!! Laughing. That was fun. Give yourself some credit once in a while. I do. ..... LOL
Old 02-14-2020, 12:30 AM
Charter Member

In the same vein, I went to hear a bass-playing friend's band a few years ago. The guitarist was extremely agile, taking on some things typically beyond the reach of most bar band pickers. I'm keen to focus on a player like that and absorb all the pointers I can.

But his tone just wore me out. Whether he was playing SRV, Yes, Beatles, Steely Dan, Floyd, ballads, country or soul, it ALL sounded like George Thorogood - every single note.

Don't get me wrong... there's nothing the matter with a little George (very little). But applying that identical sonic mallet to every style of song causes (IMHO) aural fatigue. The amp was a medium size Line 6, which I assume had buttons and dials to change things up a bit, but he ignored it. No pedals either, and he never once changed pickups or touched the vol/tone knobs on his PRS guitar.

My take-away is this. Whatever your go-to gear is, or how you arrive at your sound... break it up a little to keep things varied and interesting. A talented player vomiting gray noise 10-12 songs in a row had me burned out and ready to leave after just one set. Darn shame.

Last edited by tinnitus; 02-14-2020 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:15 AM

Thorogood’s tone was thoroughly awful.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:18 PM

Congrats to the OP on a great amp choice. I wrestled with cheaper amps in the beginning, not wanting to spend a grand. In the end, I spent almost that much on a couple of low cost amps with very little resale value, so you've saved yourself money in the long run. The PRRI (I own one as well) is a sweet amp and once that speaker breaks in, you'll really be in heaven. Nobody does the blackface tone quite like Fender, and the reissue series are made in America, thus the higher cost. Enjoy!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars