The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 01-08-2020, 06:41 PM

Default What are the best strings for an Emerald Kestrel?

I am going to be replacing the tail piece (to fix a minor shipping mishap) and figure I might as well try to find the right strings for this guitar. I am leaning toward a certain set of strings, but want to poll the audience on what you think is best to see if your answers are substantially the same or different from mine. The guitar came with D'Addario EXP11 .012 - 0.53. They work, but I think I can do better.

TIA.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 01-08-2020, 07:58 PM

Try Martin Monel MM12's - I have them on my Rainsong JM1000 and they do a fine job of pulling a "woody" tone out of a CF guitar once you break them in for a week or so...
Old 01-09-2020, 01:06 PM

How do the Martin Monel MM12's do for a classic acoustic arch top sound?

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 01-09-2020, 06:20 PM

I have the MM13 set on my Godin 5th Avenue - a very popular setup around here, BTW - and if you're looking for authentic prewar tonal mojo this is it; FYI monels were the preferred strings for many of the Big Band-era compers, and the fact that they also had magnetic properties (unlike the 85/15 brass alternative) made them the go-to electric jazzer's choice until LaBella developed the first flatwound guitar strings on the eve of WW II - just sorry they weren't around back when I still had my '46 Epiphone Blackstone and '47 Gibson L-7...
Old 01-09-2020, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

If I was fortunate enough to own a Kestrel, I'd slap a set of D'Addario Chrome Lights on it, and use that as my electric benchmark.

If you're playing it in a more acoustic vein, I'd try D'Addario Nickel Bronze Lights first. They work beautifully on my X20.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-10-2020, 08:49 AM

I have D'Addario EXP11 .012 - 0.53 on the Kestrel at the moment. My criticisms are that I sometimes get a squeak moving around on the fret board with the wound strings and that the two unwound strings feel a bit thin when playing up the neck.

The guitar has got quite a midrange directional punch for chord shapes with a pick and is perfect for keeping it together for any loud enough melody instrument to play over in an entirely acoustic setting.

On the other end it has a beautiful sweet voice when lightly picking or using fingers, but I have to mic it to be heard above the rest of the group with the current strings.

I would like to bring out those acoustic velvety tones so they are heard better in a group setting while also still holding on to the punchy chord picking when needed.

I don't want to go lighter than 12s on the E and will consider the MM13 and have been looking at flat wound or flat tops strings too.

Old 01-10-2020, 01:35 PM

Default If you're considering Flat Wounds

If you're considering an acoustic sounding Bronze flat wound,
Dogal Nightclub are really great strings, I love 'em,
but they are pricey.
I've used Dogal Nightclub V25 (.011, .014, .016w, .022, .030, .042)
on my Emerald X20, best strings I've had on it so far.
Dogal Nightclub series come in two heavier flat wound Bronze strings sets (V24 & V77)
(the V24 set has a wound B string)
and one Chrome Flat wound string set (R39).

A less pricey acoustic flat wound (presently have on my X20)
are Galli AJF1047 (.010, .014, .023, .030, .039, .047) 80/20 Bronze, I like them okay and will continue to use them, but the G strings flat wound windings are not quite as smooth as the other flat wound strings in the set.
It's the same with the G strings in the two heavier sets, AJF1150 and AJF1252.

Last edited by 121; 01-11-2020 at 05:25 AM. Reason: added (the V24 set has a wound B string)
Old 01-11-2020, 09:45 AM

Not as pricey as decent violin strings.

Old 01-28-2020, 12:52 PM

I've narrowed it down to four flat wounds and two other possibilities.

Dogal Nightclub (14 - 48)
Pyramid (13 - 52)
Rotosound (Top Tape 12 - 52)
Thomastik JS (12 - 50)

D'Addario Flat Tops (13 - 56)

Martin Monel Round Wound (13 - 56)

Now I just have to figure out which one(s) I should get first in this quest to find the right match. Which would you try first?

TIA

Old 02-06-2020, 12:45 PM

I went with the Thomastik Jazz Strings. Put them on about a week ago. These flat wound strings cost about 3 to 4 times more than a set of cheap strings but are worth it.

It's a night and day difference from the original D'Addario round wound strings the Kestrel came with. The sound is smooth and creamy across the fretboard. Happy camper here. Saved the D'Addarios to put on my Washburn Rover when I get around to changing its strings.

I think I found the acoustic sound I was looking for. I also figured out how to get the guitar loud enough to be heard on melodies above the group, so I haven't bothered with an amp yet since switching strings. Pretty close to perfection.

GAS may be permanently on hold. At least it's in abeyance for now.

On a separate note, I ordered some Monels too and plan to put them on a flat top. I also have a set of Nightclubs on order as a back up in case something happens to the Thomastiks.

Thank you for all the input. I will probably never amount to much as a guitarist, but having the right equipment sure makes the experience of playing a few hours a day so much more wonderful than dealing with inferior products.

Old 02-06-2020, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

I have used the Jazz flatwound electric strings on my semi and full hollow electrics and like the tone but have also observed that at least for me the last *way* longer than my typical strings.

Also when I've gone to those strings I've also noticed that I needed to make pretty significant pickup balance changes particularly on the second and third string vs round wounds.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
I have used the Jazz flatwound electric strings on my semi and full hollow electrics and like the tone but have also observed that at least for me the last *way* longer than my typical strings.

Also when I've gone to those strings I've also noticed that I needed to make pretty significant pickup balance changes particularly on the second and third string vs round wounds.
I'll play with the p/u. I don't know that I will ever go back to round wound strings and may even try these flat wounds on an acoustic flat top. I heard that I may lose projection, so I am going to think about it a while and may ask a few experts (like those here) first.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops