The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-12-2020, 09:51 AM

Default What do you all HONESTLY think of Martin guitars?

I have 3 of them... A DC-Aura, D12-28 and an OMC35. Three really different guitars but have one thing in common. They all feel comfortable to me. The dread is nice and bassy, the OM nice balanced sound, although the on board pickup SUCKS, and the 12 string brings me back to the 60’s every time I pick it up. All three have been set up professionally and have stood up well in AZ heat and lack of humidity, though they stay in a humidified cabinet. I have had no issues with quality or build, but I do baby the 12 string by keeping tuned 1/2 step down.

For me they are the best fit to my playing style, tone and feel. I have Taylor’s and a McPhersen as well, I still play the Martins more.

For this player they are my favorite.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
CFM IV & Co. could produce instruments of this caliber if they so chose - the Authentics (made the way they were in Grandpa's/Great-Grandpa's day) are the proof - but they don't/won't...
You just said it, they do produce instruments of this caliber. Are you saying they should ONLY produce instruments of this caliber? If they did, everything would be 5 grand or above which wouldn't be great for business. I'm just glad those caliber instruments exist. The reality is the money they make selling those lower cost instruments is what keeps these authentic-level guitars around. The absolute best instrument I've ever owned is the Martin Outlaw 17 (with authentic bracing specs). It bests the offerings I've owned or played by Bourgeois, Collings, Eastman, and PreWar.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:59 AM
Guest 33123

I have a 2003 000-18MC and a 2005 000-28VS that I bought new. I had a 1999 000-28EC fro new that I used as trade fodder to get the VS. All were exceptional in tone, feel and quality of workmanship. Never had a single issue with any of them. I would buy a Martin again based on my experiences but sadly nothing in the current lineup appeals enough to me. My last few guitars have been Gibsons and a National.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 11-12-2020 at 11:23 AM.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:02 AM

I’ve owned 4 Martins, currently still have two* of them. (D-16, D-18, 000-28 Custom*, 0-15 Custom*) For me the rule is, try before you buy. There is no consistency. Or get a new one from a retailer with a generous return policy.

Last edited by thunderboltfan; 11-12-2020 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Add context
Old 11-12-2020, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
* Well I've owned and performed with two of their standard series; a 2014 D-18 of which I still have and a 2016 000-18e Retro of which I sold (although the F1A+ system imo is Martin's best effort thus far in electronics, too bad it was discontinued). In addition I've demo'd dozens and have done light luthier work on fellow musicians who own them.

** Having said that I will say that anything below the standard series has done nothing for me tonally. I do like the tone of a good D-18, 000-18, OM-28 and the 000-28. I really loved the '33 OM-18A... But here is what I don't like about them: the quality of workmanship on the ones I've owned and performed with is subpar, especially for an instrument that costs 2k+. The binding on my D-18 has unglued over and over again, the interior is a bit sloppy and the finish is too fragile. I consistently see poor neck angles on brand new Martins when I run a straight edge down the fret board to the bridge which invites a neck reset in the near future for some. They seem to creep at a quick rate imo.

*** When compared to my main workhorse performing guitars, which are MIJ Takamines, my Tak's are built far superior in build quality inside and out and are about $500 to 700 less expensive ... yes the tone difference is subjective. The same goes for the two Lowdens I had which both were far superior in workmanship to the Martin and each cost $1,800 to 2k new back in the late nineties.

**** I'm not making a blanketed statement about Martin quality, this has just been my consistent experience over the last 8 years... I doubt I'll ever buy another at that 2k+ price point when there are other options that satisfy my tonal palette at less cost, yet with a higher standard of quality workmanship. Again I love the tone of Martin in the Standard series and above. The lower series Martins like the new 16's, Road series and others do not sound that great to my ears and taste. They do not have the signature tone identifiabley found in a D-18 or 28.

eric
The neck angles have been an issue on Martin's for a long time Eric. I agree, and I don't understand why. Every Eastman or other less expensive Pac-Rim guitars I've picked up have had perfect neck sets...oddly enough they can get it right every time. At least all the ones I've encountered.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 11-12-2020, 10:09 AM

The old ones are the only ones I know about. I sold my old ones. Now I play a Seagull.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:13 AM

The only acoustics that work for me tone wise are dreadnaughts. Of those I think that Martin Authentics are in a class by themselves.

But I also love guitars built by Bill Collings. Every bit the equal of Martin's best and in some ways even superior.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
The only acoustics that work for me tone wise are dreadnaughts. Of those I think that Martin Authentics are in a class by themselves.

But I also love guitars built by Bill Collings. Every bit the equal of Martin's best and in some ways even superior.
Agreed...Collings builds some stellar guitars!

Old 11-12-2020, 10:19 AM

I've played/owned Martin guitars since the early 60's. I've owned several Gibson guitars that were really nice. I tried a Taylor 12-string for a few days and took it back to the store.

I'm not saying Martin guitars are better but thy appeal to me. Others on this forum go for Gibson or Taylor guitars. That's cool.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
The neck angles have been an issue on Martin's for a long time Eric. I agree, and I don't understand why. Every Eastman or other less expensive Pac-Rim guitars I've picked up have had perfect neck sets...oddly enough they can get it right every time. At least all the ones I've encountered.
Eastmans are known for having necks with too much neck angle...and tall saddles/bridges as a result that affects the tone of the guitar.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post
Eastmans are known for having necks with too much neck angle...and tall saddles/bridges as a result that affects the tone of the guitar.
Just curious...what does that do to the tone? FWIW...my luthier says he'd rather deal with an underset neck than an overset one.

Old 11-12-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
There are these and there are those. I have to say I'm one of these. And I honestly think Martin should give me a free one.
They should have a punchcard like at the coffee shops! One free guitar with your 10th purchase!
Old 11-12-2020, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

I’ve owned several...I own two now, and I’m quite sure I’ll own more. For me, at least...no other guitars, at their general price point have the “sound” that consistently satisfies me.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Just curious...what does that do to the tone? FWIW...my luthier says he'd rather deal with an underset neck than an overset one.
No expert but have been told-
Tall saddle with too much string break angle reduces the hinge effect of the bridge/saddle combo and shifts the tone to less bass response due to the down force on the saddle. Theoretically that is why guys like Kimsey always are talking about saddle height of 0.135 inches on Martins as ideal. But again..no expert here. Just saying Eastman is known for too much neck angle and really tall saddles as a fix
Old 11-12-2020, 11:25 AM

Like all builders, some are great and some are not. I had a HD-28 that had terrible tone. I had a SCGC high end guitar that had terrible tone. I sold both of those. But both builders produce some of the best guitars out there. I have not liked the Taylor tone but then I just bought a high end custom Taylor DDSM that has the best tone I have ever heard. Go figure.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion