The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-09-2016, 11:43 PM

Default 12" head banjos?

I played a 12" head vega today (open back). i have no clue what it was but I fell in love with the tone. Anyone know of the more affordable 12" head open back banjos?

Thanks!
Old 06-10-2016, 03:00 AM
Charter Member

this was probably a 12" Vega made by Deering?

Deering make 12" Americana models that sound and play extremely nice-the head will make a difference and you can shape the tone with that a lot(along with different bridges and strings).

Capo's in Abingdon, Va sell and ship all over the USA, they carry these Americana models for around $500 or less I think.

http://www.caposmusicstore.com/deering-1/

here's info on the Americana:
http://www.deeringbanjos.com/collect...time-americana

there's tons of info on the Deering site about setups, how to change/adjust action, lots of question/answer pages. excellent company for customer service, and the Goodtime and Vegas are light in weight-which is a very nice feature imo.

The Enoch Tradesman is a fine instrument as well, cost is more, but it is worth it also.
http://www.caposmusicstore.com/enoch...desman-walnut/

hope this helps you out
d

Last edited by darylcrisp; 06-10-2016 at 03:15 AM.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

nice video of the Tradesman by Enoch(and 11" vs 12" sizes-different neck woods-and I'm in the camp there is a tonal difference between mahogany/maple/cherry/walnut necks in banjos). an excellent dealer for all things banjo is Bob Smakula http://www.smakula.com/

fretless-nylon strings

Old 06-10-2016, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Darylcrisp mentions Capos as a good place to purchase a banjo. If I remember correctly they'll install a couple 5th string spikes at no charge if you buy new from them.

I'm seriously thinking about buying an Americana from them myself. They are a very good sounding banjo at a very good price if you're into claw hammer. I don't love the blonde color of the Americana, but I'll live with it.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweiss View Post
Darylcrisp mentions Capos as a good place to purchase a banjo. If I remember correctly they'll install a couple 5th string spikes at no charge if you buy new from them.

I'm seriously thinking about buying an Americana from them myself. They are a very good sounding banjo at a very good price if you're into claw hammer. I don't love the blonde color of the Americana, but I'll live with it.
its a very nice, small acoustic shop. husband/wife run it and I've purchased a Weber mandolin and two OME banjos and two FolkCraft Mountain Dulcimers over the years from them. excellent people to work with.

and I think they mention they will add spikes no charge in that listing. I think that Americana sounds really nice-makes me want one now.

d
Old 06-16-2016, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Update....

I'd been considering a Deering Americana but just found such a great deal on one that I had to pull the trigger before they were gone.

Gear Tree is offering a bundle deal that includes the Americana banjo, a hard shell case, and a very nice guitar/banjo stand. All for $499.00.....the usual price of the banjo alone. My wife called Mon morning to place the order and also got 10% off the $499.00. Far and away the best deal I've found anywhere.

The whole works was delivered on Wed, and I couldn't be more pleased. The banjo is flawless and is everything I hoped it would be. I just tuned it up and started playing. No setup needed. The only thing that I tweaked a bit was the head tension. I loosened it a bit to get a more of that "plunky" sound. All in all a very good banjo for the money....and the case and stand are easily worth $100.00 by themselves.

So if you're considering the Americana, it might be a good time to go for it.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

check into the Deering website, they offer tons of instructional video on adjusting the neck angle(by coordinator rods) and everything to do with your banjo. They have a very accessable, extensive website to learn from.

sounds like a great deal you got.

d
Old 06-17-2016, 06:59 PM

Funny this thread should come up when it did. Last Saturday (6/11) I spent the morning at Elderly Instruments test-driving 12" open-backs.

I was looking for something that could probably best be described as mid-line, at about $1200 give or take, so I didn't check out the various permutations of Goodtime models available there. Spent lots of time with a Bart Reiter Buckbee, a used Mike Ramsey Chanterelle, a Pisgah Possum and an 11-1/2" Jan Bloom. I also tried an 11" Pisgah Rambler Dobson, thinking the stainless steel spun-over rim was the coolest thing, but it was way, way louder and brighter than I wanted, and heavy - boy was it heavy for an open-back. I wanted to try an Enoch Tradesman, but they didn't have any. For me, first choice was the Ramsey, but when they checked the computer to locate its case, they discovered the banjo was already sold and they simply forgot to take it off the sales floor.

So back I went, trying one after the other, but that Possum kept calling me back. I wasn't prepared to like it, as the persimmon fretboard is, well, unusual looking. But the tone was so sweet, marginally but not obnoxiously bright, and it played so nicely, in the end I had no choice.

1977 Martin M-38
1982 Stelling Staghorn
2013 Larrivée D-40R
2014 Andrew White Eos 1011 (sold)
2016 Pisgah Possum
Old 06-18-2016, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Before I decided to get my feet wet in the world of 12" heads with a Deering Americana, I was checking out Pisgahs offerings also. I liked what I saw and heard. I happen to like the look of the persimmon, and I also like that the woods Pisgah uses is all sourced locally. It seems fitting that an instrument associated with the south be made with southern woods.

When the time comes to upgrade, there might be a Pisgah in my future too.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:27 PM

I love that Pisgah Possum. Looks great!!!

I am such a fan of 12in pots for banjos, as they produce a more plunky or round tone which I find more versatile. I personally went with the Enoch Tradesman with a Walnut neck and I can't believe how great it is and how much it suits me and my style. It has a beautiful tone, and you can feel everything in your gut. It has a thin rim, which some don't like, but it makes it nice and light and I think it contributes to how freely this instrument resonates.

Get out and try some. Enoch, Reiter, Pisgah, etc. The Deering Americana is a decent starter in the 12inch realm.

I found my Tradesman used for $900.00. Happy hunting. Th
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 06-20-2016, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cu4life7 View Post
I love that Pisgah Possum. Looks great!!!

I am such a fan of 12in pots for banjos, as they produce a more plunky or round tone which I find more versatile. I personally went with the Enoch Tradesman with a Walnut neck and I can't believe how great it is and how much it suits me and my style. It has a beautiful tone, and you can feel everything in your gut. It has a thin rim, which some don't like, but it makes it nice and light and I think it contributes to how freely this instrument resonates.

Get out and try some. Enoch, Reiter, Pisgah, etc. The Deering Americana is a decent starter in the 12inch realm.

I found my Tradesman used for $900.00. Happy hunting. Th
if you want to get a different tone with your Tradesman, order up a Dobson tonering from Bill Rickard-fits right on there and offers up a real cool "other" sound.

http://store.rickardbanjos.com/dobson-style-tone-rings/
Old 06-20-2016, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacks Focus View Post
Funny this thread should come up when it did. Last Saturday (6/11) I spent the morning at Elderly Instruments test-driving 12" open-backs.

I was looking for something that could probably best be described as mid-line, at about $1200 give or take, so I didn't check out the various permutations of Goodtime models available there. Spent lots of time with a Bart Reiter Buckbee, a used Mike Ramsey Chanterelle, a Pisgah Possum and an 11-1/2" Jan Bloom. I also tried an 11" Pisgah Rambler Dobson, thinking the stainless steel spun-over rim was the coolest thing, but it was way, way louder and brighter than I wanted, and heavy - boy was it heavy for an open-back. I wanted to try an Enoch Tradesman, but they didn't have any. For me, first choice was the Ramsey, but when they checked the computer to locate its case, they discovered the banjo was already sold and they simply forgot to take it off the sales floor.

So back I went, trying one after the other, but that Possum kept calling me back. I wasn't prepared to like it, as the persimmon fretboard is, well, unusual looking. But the tone was so sweet, marginally but not obnoxiously bright, and it played so nicely, in the end I had no choice.

I don't live too far from Patrick and the Pisgah banjo workshop, some neat banjos coming out of there. All the hardware is USA made as well-Patrick started up Balsam Banjo Works and does some real nice parts there.

Pretty sure you can slip your Dobson tonering off your Possum and turn it into a "wood" tonering only setup. Gets you a different sound. Be careful slipping the tonering out-I remove the neck from the pot, clear all the hardware, sometimes a gentle upside down knock on the bottom of the pot will dislodge it-sometimes a gentle slow "even" push from the inside on all edges works-putting it back on-I cut out a correct size ring from plywood to use as like one would push a set of bearings back into a bearing race-hope that makes sense.

Pisgah's have a real nice tone. Excellent build quality as well.

d
Old 07-23-2016, 02:58 PM

I have a '20s Tubaphone with an SS Stewart neck that is an 11 13/16" pot that sounds amazing. The scale is 27" and too long for me to be comfortable and I am not playing much banjo these days so thinking of selling if it is something you are interested in.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments