The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 09-01-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryinAZ View Post
You aren't the only one who thinks this, but you're wrong. Do a little homework. Better yet, get your hands on a few and you will see the light.

Guide me to the light then, what do you mean do homework? I have indeed had them in my hands before, I wouldn't be saying they were good tuners if I had never used them. That would be lying pretty much.

Of course old ones aren't as good as new waverlies, but remember these things are 100 years old or close to, and most of the ones I've had in my hands work quite well. That's good craftsmanship imo
Old 09-15-2014, 04:54 PM

I'd try some penetrating oil. Like PB Blaster Break Free - its worked on some rusty bolts that I NEVER thought were coming apart.

I wouldn't try heating it with a torch (since there's wood right there), but a butane lighter (carefully) used might get it loosened up enough to turn.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybones View Post
I'd try some penetrating oil. Like PB Blaster Break Free - its worked on some rusty bolts that I NEVER thought were coming apart.

I wouldn't try heating it with a torch (since there's wood right there), but a butane lighter (carefully) used might get it loosened up enough to turn.
Jay, thanks for responding. Funny story about that tuning gear. It was completely frozen and locked up, but showed no sign or wear or rest. When I first got the mandy and put new strings on it, I literally had to turn that one gear with vice grip. I laid it aside under my bed for two months (in the original factory case, of course) and lo and behold when I took it out the tuning gear had fixed itself! No idea how that happened. Prayer?

Anyway, for insurance, I gave each gear a quick squirt of Tri-Flow and now all the gears are in perfect working order. It's an exceptionally sweet sounding 1920 A style Gibson.

Just yesterday a buddy of mine from my jamming group -- a nice guy who's also a good player -- gave me $750 cash for it. I was into it for $700 so that's fine -- I do a little vintage business mainly for fun, and I don't like to make money off my friends.

In last month's jam he was playing his own almost identical 1922 Gibby A-Style, and I said, "Hey, I have one just like that," and he said, "Do you wanna sell it?" and I said, "As a matter of fact, I do." (He wants a backup in case his goes down.) He played it all night last night and thinks it will become his main mandy, with his original relegated to backup. An exceptionally sweet tone on this one.

I'm happy it found a good home and that I will get to "visit" it once in a while.

Sorry for the long story.... too much caffeine today.....

Cheers!

Charmed Life
Old 09-15-2014, 11:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybones View Post

Oops, Jay, sorry one more thing: again, the caffeine talking...

You and others may be wondering why I sold it if it's so sweet. I have an Epiphone MM-50 Gibson F-Style clone (discontinued) that I love and I prefer the bluegrass "bark" of the F-Style. I play in jamming groups of sometimes 10+ players, and as a novice mandolinist I can sometimes get lost in the edge.

The F-Style makes my sound go to 11. To quote Nigel Tufnel, "If you need that little extra push over the cliff... ours go to eleven."
Old 09-16-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedlife417 View Post
Oops, Jay, sorry one more thing: again, the caffeine talking...

You and others may be wondering why I sold it if it's so sweet. I have an Epiphone MM-50 Gibson F-Style clone (discontinued) that I love and I prefer the bluegrass "bark" of the F-Style. I play in jamming groups of sometimes 10+ players, and as a novice mandolinist I can sometimes get lost in the edge.

The F-Style makes my sound go to 11. To quote Nigel Tufnel, "If you need that little extra push over the cliff... ours go to eleven."
i like my gibson a junior alot, but, to me. an f hole mandolin is so much more useful and versatile.

i like playing with the a junior around the house, or if im just playing solo. For group playing though, the f hole models are pretty much essential

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments